2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

There have been failures in Kettlewell's time - Shaw, Wilkinson & Obika - but Van Veen, Biereth & Bair all scored more goals than their previous stats would suggest likely. Just need to hope Vale joins the second group. Every signing for us is a fingers crossed, we can't afford sure things anymore.

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Read what I wrote, then do some basic research and then come back to me...

It's from the Book of Alternative Stats. Same place us beating Gretna's non-existent record for games without a win came from.

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

Montgomery is away back to Sellick.

Very vague statement by the club. Celtic will be treating him, yes, but has his loan been cancelled? If he's out for 2 months say he'll return sometime in April; if out for 3 months it'll be May. When he returns he'll be far from match fit. 

Stevie Frail has just clarified that Monty is still on loan with us. Situation seems odd. Are we still contributing to his wages? Unless recovery time is overestimated, how much more game time will he get with us?

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think its worth highlighting Lukas Jutkiewicz figures before he signed for Motherwell. He had done nothing of note prior to that, in fact had played way more games than Jack Vale with a statistically poorer return. Now Im not saying Jack Vale will be that level of player, but no one had ever heard of Lukas and he turned out pretty well. So lets see what Jack has got eh?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lukas_Jutkiewicz

Mika Biereth had done fuck all before he came to us.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Very vague statement by the club. Celtic will be treating him, yes, but has his loan been cancelled? If he's out for 2 months say he'll return sometime in April; if out for 3 months it'll be May. When he returns he'll be far from match fit.

Some clarity would be appreciated.

He's out for the foreseeable and unlikely to feature again , unfortunately. How much more do you need to know?

It's the last day of the transfer window, other things going on

43 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Stevie Frail has just clarified that Monty is still on loan with us. Situation seems odd. Are we still contributing to his wages? Unless recovery time is overestimated, how much more game time will he get with us?

Read someone saying that while he's still technically on loan with us, we will pay nothing while he's back at Celtic and unavailable to play. No idea where they got that info from or how accurate it is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

He's out for the foreseeable and unlikely to feature again , unfortunately. How much more do you need to know?

Why nothing of course. I don't need to know anything, but this is a discussion forum and I'm interested in all things MFC. if you take a hard line, then I suppose you could say, with a modicum of justifcation, its none of our business.

From the tone of announcements, if he's expected to be out for 2 or 3  months, then I agree its quite possible / likely that he won't feature for us again. If he does play again, then it might only be for a game or two. Given that, what is the purpose of keeping him on loan, if we have a choice? I'm not asking for detailed medical update - only the clubs and player will and should know that, and that might, with the best will in the world, be overly pessimistic.

Yes, this is the last day of the window and other things are going on.      

22 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Club have just said they expect him to be back 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Celtic have waived contributions is the scoop.

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Apparently we're one of several clubs in for Van Veen. Unsure whether it'd be a good idea or not...

If Hearts are in for him too I think that's where he will go. All that matters is money all the misty eyed pish that gets talked about players is not worth a fuck. It's a difficult one , rarely do returns to Fir Park work and it's strange how it's all gone tits up a Gronigen. I think as an individual he may be "hard work" however is it worth a gamble if we can afford it for 6 months ? Yes it is because relegation is a bigger financial threat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So why when he was so prolific did he only start 5 games out of 14 yip he’s shite 

That's a separate issue, number of starts. You said two goals in fourteen games like he'd started every game. But when you're called out on it, you move the goalposts. It's now not about how many goals he scored, it's about how many games he started is why he's 'shite'. 

Which is what you're talking...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

If Hearts are in for him too I think that's where he will go. All that matters is money all the misty eyed pish that gets talked about players is not worth a fuck. It's a difficult one , rarely do returns to Fir Park work and it's strange how it's all gone tits up a Gronigen. I think as an individual he may be "hard work" however is it worth a gamble if we can afford it for 6 months ? Yes it is because relegation is a bigger financial threat.

Hearts have confirmed they've no interest in him.

Killie (according to their fans) are only looking for a defender this window.

Leaves us and possibly St Mirren as the other clubs interested (allegedly I might add).

All coming from a tweet by a Dutch journo.

1 minute ago, santheman said:

Hearts have confirmed they've no interest in him.

Killie (according to their fans) are only looking for a defender this window.

Leaves us and possibly St Mirren as the other clubs interested (allegedly I might add).

All coming from a tweet by a Dutch journo.

Oh well St Mirren it is 😁😁😁

9 minutes ago, mfc said:

According to the times,we're one of the clubs interested in adam devine from rangers.

Wiki has him as a right back.

Is that accurate?

Would have thought a left back was the priority given we have Callan Elliot in.

17 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Surely St Midden can’t  pip us to Van Veen, that would be an absolute nightmare. 

They can I’m afraid. Whether they will or not remains to be seen but if it comes down to us or St.Mirren for KvV then he will go there for the simple reason that they would be able to offer him more money than we could. 

16 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Wiki has him as a right back.

Is that accurate?

Would have thought a left back was the priority given we have Callan Elliot in.

Aye he's definitely a right back which wouldn't make a lot of sense now that we have elliot.scott burns on twitter last night pretty much confirmed we're looking to bring in a left back,striker and potentially another defender so maybe the other defender is devine, personally I would rather we went for a centre half than another right back.

• David locked this topic