Motherwell v Rangers 18/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

17 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Is this the game we can beat them in the league? 
Mon the Well :fan:

Would love to say yes, but I really can't see it happening. They are nothing special just now but they are getting all the luck, dodgy penalties, keepers wiping out players and no action taken etc.

However if we can stay organised in defence,  take our chances when they come and not give them cheap goals we have a chance of getting a result, SK will be a legend at Fir Park if he can get us 3 points and end the over 20 year wait for a league win, heart says a great result, head says another 1 goal defeat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Is this the game we can beat them in the league? 
Mon the Well :fan:

No.

Motherwell do not beat Rangers, or Celtic for that matter.

We might scrape a draw but even that’s unlikely.

• Sad 1

Worst thing for us is if Rangers drop points tonight , or somehow lose in the cup.  Has happened in the past after a dodgy result they always find their form against us 

Hopefully they turn up at Fir Park after another 2 victories in those games confidently expecting an easy game against us 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yabba's Turd said:

We do, even with Jamie Dolan in goals. 
Nothing but negativity, why even bother?

That was 26 years ago.

We haven’t recorded a league victory against Rangers in over 20 years.

We haven’t beaten Celtic in over seven years and have lost our last straight fifteen matches against them.

Those are facts, however dreary or negative they may be.

And why do I bother? I guess because I’m a passionate Motherwell FC supporter who supports the team and the club through thick and thin, even when we are turning in our usual no shows against the Old Firm.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

That was 26 years ago.

We haven’t beaten Celtic in over seven years and have lost our last straight fifteen matches against them.

And why do I bother? I guess because I’m a passionate Motherwell FC supporter who supports the team and the club through thick and thin, even when we are turning in our usual no shows against the Old Firm.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience mate 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJC said:

No.

Motherwell do not beat Rangers, or Celtic for that matter.

We might scrape a draw but even that’s unlikely.

C'mon MJC! You know it only works if you forecast us getting pumped! 

Go high! 😉

2 hours ago, wellup83 said:

A free hit. Who really cares anymore? It's been that long since we beat this mob that I just hope we come away without any injuries or suspensions.

Mostly agree with that it is a free hit but the fans do care, its been over 20 years so it's a monkey we need off our backs. The gulf in class between the ugly sisters and the other 10 premiership teams is vast as last nights results show.

We will need a lot of luck, all our players up for the game with the right attitude from the start etc, as well as Rangers having an off day to get a result, we've had lots of draws over the years so here's hoping we can take that extra step.

Three points from this one would be a massive result in the context of this season and keeping us up, but it would be a great confidence booster to the whole club,team and fans, nothing more enjoyable than a big GIRUY to either of those two 

It’s nonsense to say “who cares about these games”? as clearly the majority of the support do care and would desperately love a result against them.

Obviously we are not going to compete with either of them over the course of a season, no one is as was shown when Hearts and Hibs were easily swept aside last night, but the frustration comes from the fact that other sides have managed to beat Rangers at least once in that twenty years we have failed to. I’m not talking about the Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeens, the clubs with an obvious financial advantage over us here, Hamilton fucking Accies have managed to win twice at Ibrox in the last few years ffs! Ross County have knocked Celtic out of both cups on three occasions in the last twelve years, St.Mirren managed by Robinson and half our ex team beat Celtic this season, something they never achieved when with us. Obviously these are ‘one offs’ and the exception to the rule but the question has to be why do we never manage to pull off these ‘one off’ results now and again? 

We need to stop simply writing these games off beforehand and at least show a bit of belief that we can get something, but the mentality of us just shrugging it off and accepting our fate seems deeply engrained in the club nowadays.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

We need to stop simply writing these games off beforehand and at least show a bit of belief that we can get something, but the mentality of us just shrugging it off and accepting our fate seems deeply engrained in the club nowadays.

I don't believe for a minute that that every squad of players we've had over the last 20 years, every manager, club officials etc have had the attitude that " aw well its Rangers we never beat them so we're not bothered"

We have beaten Rangers in the league cup 2017 and both playoff games in 2015, which incidentally were technically under the auspices of the SPFL not in a cup competition so as such league games. 

So I don't subscribe to this " mental block" nonsense when playing the blue uglies, sometimes you just need to put your hands up and say you gave it your best shot but lost to a better team. If it was a mentality issue then it would be constant defeats, but thats not the case given the number of draws we've had home and away over the years.

Also the pish about other teams managing to beat them when we don't does my head in, if the record of the other 9 teams in the league against Rangers over the 20 years was compared to ours they would be equally as bad, it a sad fact of Scottish football that the uglies don't lose many games on a regular basis to any team apart from each other, so Motherwell are not unique.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I don't believe for a minute that that every squad of players we've had over the last 20 years, every manager, club officials etc have had the attitude that " aw well its Rangers we never beat them so we're not bothered"

We have beaten Rangers in the league cup 2017 and both playoff games in 2015, which incidentally were technically under the auspices of the SPFL not in a cup competition so as such league games. 

So I don't subscribe to this " mental block" nonsense when playing the blue uglies, sometimes you just need to put your hands up and say you gave it your best shot but lost to a better team. If it was a mentality issue then it would be constant defeats, but thats not the case given the number of draws we've had home and away over the years.

Also the pish about other teams managing to beat them when we don't does my head in, if the record of the other 9 teams in the league against Rangers over the 20 years was compared to ours they would be equally as bad, it a sad fact of Scottish football that the uglies don't lose many games on a regular basis to any team apart from each other, so Motherwell are not unique.

Agreed. The Rancid are better than us, except in 2015 when we battered them. 

On 3/9/2023 at 2:43 PM, Spiderpig said:

Every clubs record being just as bad as ours just doesn't stand up. We havent beat them in 20 years . Sure if you count the play offs we are joint worst but in terms of league games won we are the worst with the exception of Ross County who have only been in the top division 7 season. Our record is utterly chronic and the worst judged against any club who has been in the same division throughout most of those 20 years.

In that time

Dundee Utd have beat them 5 times in the League

Kilmarnock have beat them  7 times in the league 

Ross County havent beat them but have only been in the same division 7 seasons

St Mirren have beat them 3 times in the League

Livingston have beat them 3 times in 12 seasons in same division.

St Johnstone have beat them 2 times in 10 seasons in the same division.

Aberdeen have beat them 8 times in the league 

Hibs have beat them 7 times in the league 

Hearts have beat them 9 times in the league 

• Thanks 1

Maybe we have overdone the old boys act and bringing in fresh faces like Sk and SF  who have no real connection with the club will help. Is it a confidence thing? There's more to it than that of course but perhaps a factor. 

We need to keep it simple; get in their faces; show no fear; take any chance that comes along; have a fair referee; and enjoy a bit of overdue good luck. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 5:18 PM, MJC said:

That was 26 years ago.

In fairness it wasn't our fault they were out the top league for several seasons during that 20 years 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Mccus28 said:

In fairness it wasn't our fault they were out the top league for several seasons during that 20 years 🤣🤣

Granted. Although it was down to us that they weren’t in it for one of those seasons after we cuffed them in the playoffs. 😁