Motherwell v Rangers 18/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

33 minutes ago, El Grew said:

It will come as no surprise that our overall home league results against Rangers stinks but here are the bare stats:

P136 W27 L80 D29 F148 A282

Win: 20%

Lose: 59%

Draw: 21%

Our last home League win was 1-0 on 26th December 2002.

On the bright side a 41% record of positive results over the years is fairly decent 😁

Our record against Rangers is horrendous compared to the likes of Killie who beat them 7 times as an earlier poster mentioned

I do believe though records are there to be broken ,  interesting stat I saw that we didn’t win a league game away to Aberdeen between 1966-1994 I think it was with the exception of cup games but when we eventually did we won a lot up there since

Just need to give this mob a proper game , if it doesn’t happen next week it will one day

11 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Our record against Rangers is horrendous compared to the likes of Killie who beat them 7 times as an earlier poster mentioned

I do believe though records are there to be broken ,  interesting stat I saw that we didn’t win a league game away to Aberdeen between 1966-1994 I think it was with the exception of cup games but when we eventually did we won a lot up there since

Just need to give this mob a proper game , if it doesn’t happen next week it will one day

I remember that run so well. I started supporting Motherwell in 1975 and clearly being astonished when we actually beat them. We also had an horrendous run against Dundee Utd , I think it was 10 seasons we never beat them which ended on a midweek fixture at Fir park when we beat them 2-0. Although in that run we were out the top division for 3 seasons.

My first ever game against the Buns was the first season of the 'new' 10 team premier league in 75/76 season (i think).

We drew 5 in a row (including the Tims), lost to St J, then pumped Hibs and Rangers (3-1). I ended up at that time with an inbuilt false sense of security that we'd beat them regularly. In them days, we kinda did though. 

41 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I've seen us beat Rangers when John Reilly was in the team. I might be misremembering, but I think he scored the only goal of the game.

(If he didn't score it then it was his assist).

Don't remember him scoring , could it be an assist for ray farningham at Ibrox in 1987? 

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Don't remember him scoring , could it be an assist for ray farningham at Ibrox in 1987? 

It was definitely at Fir Park and looking at the usual sites, seems like it was the game on 8th Feb 1986 where we won 1 - 0. But none of the sites list our scorer.

Or I could just be a rambling old man. I definitely wouldn't rule that out.

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It was definitely at Fir Park and looking at the usual sites, seems like it was the game on 8th Feb 1986 where we won 1 - 0. But none of the sites list our scorer.

'Well Again says the scorer was (Andy) Walker

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

'Well Again says the scorer was (Andy) Walker

I won't argue with that.

I do still have a memory of Reilly doing something unusually good, so he may have hit the cross that Walker scored from.

16 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Can't remember that game at all....but in funnier news.....Colin Hendry is a legend.....Scottish cup semi draw he done.... Celtic.. Falkirk... Inverness..rangers....he pulled out old firm to play in semi..... sponsors will be raging 😜😜

His hands must have been too cold from the Falkirk weather to feel the OF balls from the freezer.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, weeyin said:

Reilly did a dummy turn down the wing to beat the defender, crossed for Walker to loop a header into the far corner.

6 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Reilly did a dummy turn down the wing to beat the defender, crossed for Walker to loop a header into the far corner.

That's the one. Glad I'm not going completely senile.

I still remember the move and the header from my vantage point in the terracing, but didn't remember if The Rile crossed it or scored it.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:03 PM, grizzlyg said:

heres a wee story to tell u about that time ,  a mind seeing the game on tv that ma pal junior burns scored the winner at ibrox  fuckin great his full family are rangers daft                  except him heez a well fan   his auld man drew was fuckin ragin                      and do you know where he went that same sat night         motherwell feckin orange hall with his pals 😀 you couldnae do it now he would get lynched

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, smiddy said:

heres a wee story to tell u about that time ,  a mind seeing the game on tv that ma pal junior burns scored the winner at ibrox  fuckin great his full family are rangers daft                  except him heez a well fan   his auld man drew was fuckin ragin                      and do you know where he went that same sat night         motherwell feckin orange hall with his pals 😀 you couldnae do it now he would get lynched

Classic.  Andy Ritchie scored the other goal

37 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Classic.  Andy Ritchie scored the other goal

This was the day, John Greig was sacked and Jock Wallace left us with Bobby Watson to see us relegated, Ritchie did indeed score the other goal, a penalty, it's also the day my old man mistook the Copeland road end for the Broomloan end and we ended up in amongst the Rangers fans with another bewildered 'well fan who chose to keep wearing his scarf. Obviously we couldn't cheer the 2nd goal but we could join in the chorus of Greig must go, Greig must go, then try and navigate through the protest on Edmiston drive afterwards.

• Haha 1

The dream team of officials this weekend includes referee Nick Walsh, linesman Douglas Ross and Andrew Dallas on VAR. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the recent form, you would hope another couple of wins would see us safely ensconced in the Premiership for another season. Any points here would be most welcome but it'll be a tough task as per. We did alright in the game at Fir Park earlier in the season before conceding some criminal goals but a lot has changed since then. Out with the defeat to Celtic, they seem to be playing well enough. While it's rare we enjoy a win over the bigots some of the best victories have come when we have been struggling in the league, as mentioned above the Junior Burns winner not to forget the Willie Falconer late goal in the bright kit or Owen Coyle ruining their 9 in a row party. It's about time we beat them again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

The dream team of officials this weekend includes referee Nick Walsh, linesman Douglas Ross and Andrew Dallas on VAR. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the recent form, you would hope another couple of wins would see us safely ensconced in the Premiership for another season. Any points here would be most welcome but it'll be a tough task as per. We did alright in the game at Fir Park earlier in the season before conceding some criminal goals but a lot has changed since then. Out with the defeat to Celtic, they seem to be playing well enough. While it's rare we enjoy a win over the bigots some of the best victories have come when we have been struggling in the league, as mentioned above the Junior Burns winner not to forget the Willie Falconer late goal in the bright kit or Owen Coyle ruining their 9 in a row party. It's about time we beat them again. 

The Willie Falconer game

Same result please on Saturday 

• Like 2