Motherwell v Rangers 18/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On slattery’s foul, I don’t agree with it either, but he just can’t help himself giving away stupid fouls and the constant diving doesn’t help because the referees are all wise to it now

Edited by JSR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

We were never going to finish with 11 men on the pitch today. I feel sorry for Slats. 

It was never a foul Dave absolutely shocking decision to give a 2nd yellow, Cantwell should have been booked for simulation aka cheating.

3 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Have just found this. VAR helped with our opener I guess, but I cannot fucking wait to see the Cantwell goal again.

https://twitter.com/JamesMurphyTips/status/1637072112933543938/photo/1

If you look at how wide the grass cutting line is at the bottom compared to the top it puts the offside line into perspective. The further away points look closer together. Possibly clutching at straws but it would be highly unusual to get the benefit of any doubt against them, lol.

As expected never really in the game. They dominated and had 75% possession. Our first goal was off side. The official using VAR couldn't draw a straight line. Even without VAR he was offside. Sakala was also off side before Cantwells goal. All in all another fuck up performance from VAR.

Well that was typical Motherwell v Rangers fare. Cheap goals conceded, no luck with decisions and just pure frustration.

I need to see all the key decisions again but the length of time it took to confirm their 3rd goal when it was obvious they were going to allow it was ludicrous.

And on a final note I wish to Christ we would stop playing Chumba fucking wumba after every defeat. Apart from being a shite song it just rubs it in getting beat.

Glad to get that one out of the way. Probably would not have made any difference but once again we had Slattery, Goss and Spittal in the starting line up.  That should never happen. While Slattery can feel unlucky to get a second yellow he needs to change his attitude and just fkn focus on playing football. Not even sure why he was waving his arm around he had the ball and should have been away with it moving forward. At least we will be forced not to start all 3 for a few games 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

Well that was typical Motherwell v Rangers fare. Cheap goals conceded, no luck with decisions and just pure frustration.

I need to see all the key decisions again but the length of time it took to confirm their 3rd goal when it was obvious they were going to allow it was ludicrous.

And on a final note I wish to Christ we would stop playing Chumba fucking wumba after every defeat. Apart from being a shite song it just rubs it in getting beat.

Just for you 

Disappointing that the first two Rangers goals are howlers from us.

Overall though I thought there was enough in the first 60 minutes to be relatively pleased with the performance.

Unravelled a bit in the last half hour but we were a man down and Mugabi I'm afraid got ripped to shreds pretty much every time after he came on.

If we can performance at that level against Dundee Utd we should win.

My take on it the Ref and VAR had a decent game, both goals onside, Slattery cost us with his needless foul for the first goal and getting sent off for a flaling arm.

Not a bad performance against a decent Rangers team we gave them a game. Thought Van Venn was excellent today. 

Rangers were the better team and deservedly won on the day we move on 

• Haha 1

Wrong formation and tactics from the 1st minute,  sitting back letting teams like Rangers come on to you, with no press only ever ends one way in defeat. The rangers defence is average at best but we never went for them after we scored and ultimately got what we deserved from the game nothing. Defensively we were brutal today, too many ball watchers not marking up.

But all that said anything today would have been a big bonus, we have more important games coming up to save the season

• Like 1

We never learn playing this mob. If you sit in deep, play one up front with no support then you will get nothing. With Obika out then Tierney or McKinstry should have started today, or Mandron if he was fit enough. 

We made one mistake in first half that cost us. Second half I was surprised to see us make it 2-2. A bit unlucky to see VAR not call back third goal but by that time I think we were already starting to allow them more chances but behind us now so let’s see what we can do the rest of the game leading up to the break

A pretty typical game against an old firm team. They dominated possession which was always going to pay off, thought our first looked offside, cheap goals again conceded. However all in all we’ve played a lot worse against them in truth.

On reflection I thought we looked good in spells. KVV led the front line well despite the lack of a partner and we looked generally more assured all over the park. Good perseverance from Bevis to get us back to 2-2. Ultimately though, the same old story ensued. Our ball retention was shocking at times particularly in the second half and the inability to clear our lines cost us. You can't spend the bulk of 90 minutes chasing the shadows because we keep giving the ball away. 

7 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

A pretty typical game against an old firm team. They dominated possession which was always going to pay off, thought our first looked offside, cheap goals again conceded. However all in all we’ve played a lot worse against them in truth.

VAR was shocking today like you I thought our 1st and their 3rd were both off, the VAR lines do not look to be straight.

Just back from the game and encouraged we at least made a game of it at times. Better team won the game and we were a bit fortunate not to concede another couple towards the end.
Slattery should have been hooked 10/15 mins before he was sent off, you knew 1 more foul against that mob and he’d be walk, but the decision itself is a joke, Cantwell kicks Slattery when he’s on the ground a few mins before it = no yellow, Slattery catches Cantwell with his arm whilst protecting the ball and the ref didn’t hesitate to get the 2nd yellow out. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Glad to get that one out of the way. Probably would not have made any difference but once again we had Slattery, Goss and Spittal in the starting line up.  That should never happen. While Slattery can feel unlucky to get a second yellow he needs to change his attitude and just fkn focus on playing football. Not even sure why he was waving his arm around he had the ball and should have been away with it moving forward. At least we will be forced not to start all 3 for a few games 

I've spoke up for Slattery before but he's too slow , that's why he uses his body to " shield" it ....we badly need some pace in the middle of the park 

10 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

This needs to gtf. Winds me up more than the opposition after a defeat.

It genuinely would be less annoying if they played “Always look on the bright side of life” after a loss.