Motherwell v Dundee United 15/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

14 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I just cant help remembering the game when St Mirren had to win at Motherwell to have any chance of staying up. We were 2-0 up and they beat us 3-2. John Sutton destroying us. I am kinda hopeful but being Motherwell I would not be surprised in the slightest if they beat us.

I think our need was just as if not even greater than St.Mirren’s that day. We were 2-0 up and absolutely collapsed and only Dunfermline losing to Inverness saved us from having to go to Tannadice on the final day to win to keep us up.

Us winning this Saturday would all but guarantee safety and give us a fair cushion over the danger zone, but that would just be too simple for us and we never do it the easy way.

12 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I like this seasons kit.

Im just delighted we wont be relegated in it.

I can now banish some childhood memories!

It’s too early to say that we won’t be relegated in it, but regardless I’m looking forward to not seeing it again after this season and hoping for a traditional, simple and classical Motherwell FC home kit to be released in the summer. Why we have to keep trying to go out the box and be ‘different’ every few years is beyond me.

We should be proud of our home colours and embrace our identity with a simple home kit. Take a leaf out of Hearts book, they have their vintage maroon and white kit and they largely stick to it with only a few minor alterations each year.

As for this Saturday I suspect we’ll be in our fluorescent kit against Utd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

It’s too early to say that we won’t be relegated in it, but regardless I’m looking forward to not seeing it again after this season and hoping for a traditional, simple and classical Motherwell FC home kit to be released in the summer. Why we have to keep trying to go out the box and be ‘different’ every few years is beyond me.

We should be proud of our home colours and embrace our identity with a simple home kit. Take a leaf out of Hearts book, they have their vintage maroon and white kit and they largely stick to it with only a few minor alterations each year.

As for this Saturday I suspect we’ll be in our fluorescent kit against Utd.

Mathematically it is still possible to be relegated. But given the advantage we now have and the fact that the bottom 6 all have to play each other in the final 5 games, it would take a freak set of results now. We are 9 points clear of Ross County in 11th which is effectively 10 points due to our goal difference so they would realistically need to win 3 and draw 1 of their remaining 7 games without us taking a single point until the end of the season. Given they have only won 7/31 games all season, I think thats highly unlikely.

Dundee United would need to beat us on Saturday and then win 3 of their last 6 without us winning any of our games. They have won 6/31 all season.

I think 1 win from our last 7 sees us 100 percent safe. But lets look up and see how high we can get. Every place in the league is more money for next season and the earlier we can set our budget.

As a child of the 70's / 80's Im not as wedded to the single claret band as other generations as it wasnt really a thing in that stage of my development. I still do prefer the traditional kits, but I think a change every now and again is a good thing.

The fluorescent kit isnt a Motherwell kit at all for me, although I do support the cause and the thought process behind it. We could have gone for black with claret and amber trim to make it different, but I guess there were market research groups saying otherwise.

1 hour ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Noooooo not that kit:fuckyou: :help:

It’ll either be that or the white one which we wore at home against Dundee Utd earlier this season as apparently their black/dark away kit clashed with our predominantly claret home kit. We won’t get many more opportunities to wear the luminous kit so I reckon it’ll get an outing on Saturday.

5 hours ago, wellup83 said:

Anyone know how long Obika is out? Having heard very little I'm assuming he's out for the season?

Someone suggested in a different thread that the player himself hoped to be back for the Celtic game.

On Mandron, I don't think the guy is fully fit, I actually think he did fine against Livingston as he won the ball in vital positions which led to the first and second goals.

Looking forward to Saturday, Goodwin made a comment about passing up a Premiership gig which married up to the timeline when we were looking, I can't remember his exact dig but it was along the lines of the job was beneath him. I'm confident that we can pile on the misery on Saturday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maz said:

Looking forward to Saturday, Goodwin made a comment about passing up a Premiership gig which married up to the timeline when we were looking, I can't remember his exact dig but it was along the lines of the job was beneath him. I'm confident that we can pile on the misery on Saturday.

I think he said that another Scots club had spoken to him but the felt that their position was beyond saving. Make of that what you will. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Remember it's the grand national also on Saturday so get your bets on before the game.  2 tips I have had are Lunchtime which is 12-1 and V-Neck which is a good jumper!!......I'm here all week 😄😄😄

a bet one last year at 10/1       but the barsteward never came in till 1/4 past     BOOM      thats ma addition emday any more ???    

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm not in full glass half empty mode but I have fear about this game. We're playing very well and getting results but we've all been here before as Well fans. Hope I'm wrong. 

All part of the programming! I felt like that last week and we won 3-0 at a canter. It will take a long time to bury the ghosts of '78! 😆😆😆

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm not in full glass half empty mode but I have fear about this game. We're playing very well and getting results but we've all been here before as Well fans. Hope I'm wrong. 

Same, I would take a point if offered.