Motherwell v Dundee Utd, Sunday 28/5/23

fizoxy

1 hour ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

At least he’s better than steel boy 

"At least grizzlyg is better than Frankie",   a phrase that has and never will be said!! Lol.

One of my favourite Frankie Boyle comments was when he said Scottish people were just a bunch of moaners. "When John Logie Baird invented the telly folk were saying well done and that's amazing", he replied "Ayeeee......but there's f***k all on" 😂😂

• Like 1

I can only remember us really giving Dundee Utd a serious going-over at Fir Park on two occasions in my time. 

One of them was 29th December 2007 when we won 5-3 having been 3-0 then 5-1 up, but for obvious reasons the game itself that day was rightly put in perspective and largely forgotten about.

The other was the 2011 SCQF replay on a midweek night when we scudded them 3-0 with Francis Jeffers scoring the third. They brought a huge travelling support down that night and filled the South Stand. That was a great night.

Other than those two matches the games between the two sides at Fir Park have been tight and often frustrating affairs so expecting us to pump them on Sunday is unrealistic imo.

I’ve seen us lose 5-4 to them having been 2-0, 3-1 then 4-2 up. And the last time we played them at home on the last day of the season in 2012 they beat us 2-0 after we’d secured 3rd and Champions League Qualification due to Rangers going down the tubes. Indeed, was the CL music not played over the tannoy that day?

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

One of them was 29th December 2007 when we won 5-3 having been 3-0 then 5-1 up, but for obvious reasons the game itself that day was rightly put in perspective and largely forgotten about.

The other was the 2011 SCQF replay on a midweek night when we scudded them 3-0 with Francis Jeffers scoring the third. They brought a huge travelling support down that night and filled the South Stand. That was a great night.

Also the Phil O'Donnell game, which was overshadowed for obvious reasons.

Just now, numpty said:

Also the Phil O'Donnell game, which was overshadowed for obvious reasons.

Yeah that’s the 5-3 one that I was talking about. It gets forgotten about given what happened but we were actually sublime that day and David Clarkson had arguably his best game for us. Some terrific football and some terrific goals. 

When I first started watching us the 70s, the overall balance of results seemed pretty equal, but when we beat them we often put 3 or 4 past them. (I have a vague memory we beat them 4 - 0 on one of the first Sunday games we ever played).

When they hit their peak in the early 80s they used to hammer us (and a lot of top European teams) on a regular basis. They had a counterattacking style that was unusual in Scottish football at the time and most opponents struggled to cope with it.

I'm not a Goodwin fan, but I don't hate Utd and wouldn't have been bothered if they stayed up. In fact, at this point, any team with grass is OK with me. (not the OF, obviously, but I doubt I'll see them relegated in the near future).

Just fact checked myself.

In the 73/74 season we beat them 4 - 0 (League Cup) , 3 - 0, 4 - 0 and 1 - 0, which probably the season I'm remembering.

The season after we were promoted back into the SPL, they beat us 4 - 0, 5 - 0, 2 - 0 and 4 - 1, which is a season I've never managed to forget.

Doesn't matter what happened in the past its irrelevant.

Having watched their defence?? against Killie unless Goodwin can pull off a major miracle I can't see us not scoring against them unless we go on the park with our flip flops and sunglasses on.

2 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

3 - 1 in the summer cup, but MJC was just a figment of imagination then, but what's changed 🤣

My dad was at those games and spoke fondly of them.

Apart from the cup final one of my favourite games v utd was Oct 89 at fir park, best them 3-2 in front of over 8,000 and a Davie Cooper masterclass, was the main game on sportscene that night also 

So after Jim Goodwin saying before he took the United job that he decided not to apply for another job in the League at the time who’s team  didn’t have a manager (wonder who that team was ?) as he thought they were unsaveable  . Well there you go Jim . 
Oh Jim looks like you’ve set yourself up there for a bit of stick . Schoolboy error Jim 

TBH I kinda thought the same way at the time ……. But that doesn’t really matter as I’m not the United manager 

Just putting it out there like .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

So after Jim Goodwin saying before he took the United job that he decided not to apply for another job in the League at the time who’s team  didn’t have a manager (wonder who that team was ?) as he thought they were unsaveable  . Well there you go Jim . 
Oh Jim looks like you’ve set yourself up there for a bit of stick . Schoolboy error Jim 

TBH I kinda thought the same way at the time ……. But that doesn’t really matter as I’m not the United manager 

5EG.gif

Schadenfreude.

23 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Would be such a shame if anyone reminded him of that on Sunday.

Are we guilty of taking our eye off the ball here? All the chat of KVV scoring a few and breaking records and the supposed snub by their manager might be a great laugh but the real crux is that we need a win to be sure of seventh place and the financial benefit that will have for the club. We had a chance to achieve this on Wednesday against ten men for more than half the game and failed. We have a pretty poor record against United this season and will more than likely be missing a few key players who have been responsible for our recent turn around in form. Let’s just concentrate on doing the job in front of us and securing the three points.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

One of my favourites was the John McKeever game in the first leg of the League Cup. Second leg, not so much.

I still remember his fluorescent boots. Seemed like quite a bold statement in those days.

Let’s go out with a bang against a shite United side who are bottom of the league, against a manager who thought at that point we were a basket case…as I did too but then cometh the SK revolution and the revival of our squad and the belief by KVV that he is a good striker.

I would firstly love us to pump those buggers n second send Goodwin his P45 and thirdly the team to Championship football and fourthly for big Kev to score a few n pass that peado striker n be top scorer in the SPL over the season.

Absolute turn around by SK well done, but now finish 7th and get ready for next season and show us what you can do for a full season with some of your own signings.

Prediction for the game 3-1 Well!

CMYW!!!!!!

They were supposed to be playing for their lives against Killie (at home) and folded like a cheap suit.

No doubt they will have a go, but given their defensive record in recent times, that is likely to leave them wide open.

17 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

KVV looking to get the record for fastest hat trick as Motherwell player? Is it StJohn that has that record? 

Two minutes and 30 seconds against Hibs in a 1959 League Cup tie.