Season 23/24 Dundee v Motherwell 06/08/23

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

It was the extreme nature of your assessment. We've all said this guy or that guy is shite, or he needs to drop a division or two to find his level, but to look at Bair's stats and declare he isn't capable of playing professional football was a bit much. Folk who are paid to make these decisions, whose jobs depend on them, clearly see something the stats don't show.

My extreme assessment is based entirely on his extreme record. No one could look at what he's done in the game until now and think "yup, there's a player in there." 

I 100% hope he goes on to be a success. No one, unless they're just nasty types, ever wants to see someone fail. I can guarantee you, if this goal is the only one he ever scores, and he gets to the end of his two year stint and gets released, I certainly won't be sitting here saying "Ha! Told you so!" 

I don't want any of our players to fail. 

7 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

It was the extreme nature of your assessment. 

Yeah, totally agree with that. To paraphrase one of his comments I'm sure he said he hasn't done anything to prove he is a professional-level footballer despite playing in the MLS, tempting a club to spend money on him in our league, getting capped at international level and finally our management team signing him.

1 minute ago, pretzel said:

Yeah, totally agree with that. To paraphrase one of his comments I'm sure he said he hasn't done anything to prove he is a professional-level footballer despite playing in the MLS, tempting a club to spend money on him in our league, getting capped at international level and finally our management team signing him.

Every manager who has signed him has talked about his potential. Not what he's done in the game. To this point, he's done nothing to prove he's a professional-level player. His record in MLS is rubbish, and his record at St Johnstone is rubbish. 

I also said that this is his last-chance saloon. You can only get by on athletic potential for so long, and at age 24 this month, he needs to start performing. Let's hope today is the start of that. 

However, the season has started. I said we discuss players when we sign them based on their past records before they play for us. 

For me, he's now one game and one goal deep and has done well today. Long may that continue.

Thought Dundee shaded it today, and if any team can feel short-changed with a draw it's them. I think we had more possession, but they seemed more decisive with the ball.

Still, a point is a point. Even if it is against a team most favour to go right back down. Next weekend against Hibs will be a more stern test.

• Like 1