SPL Motherwell v Hibernian 13/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just saw some of the second half and what i saw we looked good some nice phases of play. Soare who i had been critical of on his showing looked like he was a player. Again our midfield looked good what a player Lennon will be can't see him being here too long. Slattery and Spittal were good.

Like everyone else the young dane looks good but need to say Wilkinson was on point to take the cut back for the first goal.

Hibs are not a shit team whether the midweek afftected them i don't know but they have a decent strike force so credit must go to our team for restricting them not just defence i remember wilkinson tracking back

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Did that happen I think not, 1 shot on target from Hibs the whole game they were brutal .

i think IF you had read the full thread spider      you wouldv read that i allready answered Great balls with accepting my mistake in saying that soare actually came onto a game and is getting up to speed and by the end was quite impressive,    i made my assumption that a b4 injuried boyle would run at him and tear him a new one, as he has done to bigger  and better before now, but thankfully for us it didnt happen , so when you get time, scroll back and read,, thank you

23 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Anyone else think Biereth playing style looks like Henrik OJama 

My exact words as we left after the game today.

As for the game, considering we had three starters, and two subs, who weren't at the club last season, add in that Bevis, O'Donnell & Miller were nowhere near our starting XI, we are very much a work in progress still. All that considered, I was more than happy with the 90 minutes I watched today.

Our back three plus Kelly were mostly untroubled and Bevis won just about everything in the air (which was all Hibs offered). The mid-field three were all good, although Miller will need a rest soon to let the bruising heal, especially if the referees are going to continue offering no protection. The wing backs did ok defensively but Souare, in particularly, seemed to lack a bit of confidence a couple of times when we broke forward, he continually looked backwards for someone else to take responsibility. The front two were ok (but no more than that), Biereth changed the game with his energy, he had no right to win the ball in the first place for the opener and then fooled Stevenson by refusing to fall down when he fouled him. He showed great strength and composure for his goal too.

So far, so good.

As for Hibs...................

Thought it was a poor first half today with both teams cancelling each other out. Defensively I thought we were pretty solid and we had the only real chance of the half with Big Casey unlucky to see his header come off the woodwork.

Second half I though we were much better. With Slattery and Spittal orchestrating things. Big Wilkinson was much more involved after a pretty anonymous first half and probably just about deserved to stay on instead of Bair who put himself about without really being productive.

The game undoubtedly swung in our favour with the introduction of Biereth. As debuts go, it was pretty impressive. Pace, power, touch and he can finish. Cant wait to see what he can do when fully fit!

The penalty is unlucky. Not much Casey can do about it, but it has to be given. Thankfully it only spoiled Liam Kellys night.

Thoroughly deserved 3 points and you feel there is so much more to come from this team, once everyone is fit and get to know one another properly.

I think its safe to say SK might just know what he is doing.......

I have the same feelings about the game today as most on here. The first half was devoid of quality, with no more than very brief flashes of football breaking out. Hibs offered nothing in attack and Motherwell were only a little better. Things got a bit better in the second half, but I didn't see a goal in it until Biereth was introduced. It has been said already but his pace, power and bit of quality gave Motherwell the edge to take the points. It was great to see that he really enjoyed the assist and the goal. It looks like it matters to him.

I also have to say that the defence today was very comfortable. Big Bevis was superb.

What has happened to Slattery? He is like a new signing. I like this new slimline and hard working version.

Also mentions for Spittal, Miller and Casey who all had a very good match.

Roll on next week.

8 hours ago, MFCL84 said:

What has happened to Slattery? He is like a new signing. I like this new slimline and hard working version.

Maybe he has laid some ghosts to rest?

Been a tough 18 months for the boy.

I think we all forget how young he still is at times.

Great to see him back firing on all cylinders. He really seems to be enjoying his football this season. 

13 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I don't agree , first half we didn't do much but we were never in any bother. Second half we played better and controlled the game and played some neat football at times. Hibs first effort on goal was on 90 minutes , if that's us not playing well I'll take it.

I think we look very well coached, there's a shape to us that we don't break out of too often...I don't think we will lose too many goals or score many , but the introduction of Bierith is interesting.

Only 2 games into the League season, but a promising start. Yesterday was a yardstick against a potential top 6 side and we came through it well. It also allowed us to measure ourselves against close rivals St Mirren in an indirect way.  So far so good, but early doors.

A promising start from Biereth; lets hope he continues in that seame vein. I watched the highlights and was impresssed with his physicality and ability. He fought off two pretty robust/illegal challenges in setting up a goal and scoring one. He can give as good as he gets. 

I know a lot of people prob won't notice or pay much attention to it under the circumstances, but if you watch the vid of the first goal, as soon as Biereth beats the man on the corner flg and starts to come in, Wilkinson is between (and slightly behind) the two defenders. He then makes a wee 3 or 4 step run to get in front of the two defenders to make the pass in to him possible. A striker who can find these positions and runs must have something about him. Ally McCoist made an entire career out of being the guy 'who was there' to tap the ball in from around the six yard line. Maybe having someone who can spot the run and make the pass will make a big difference to the other strikers as well. A striker not finding scoring positions is a lot worse than the one who fluffs some chances.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I know a lot of people prob won't notice or pay much attention to it under the circumstances, but if you watch the vid of the first goal, as soon as Biereth beats the man on the corner flg and starts to come in, Wilkinson is between (and slightly behind) the two defenders. He then makes a wee 3 or 4 step run to get in front of the two defenders to make the pass in to him possible. A striker who can find these positions and runs must have something about him. Ally McCoist made an entire career out of being the guy 'who was there' to tap the ball in from around the six yard line. Maybe having someone who can spot the run and make the pass will make a big difference to the other strikers as well. A striker not finding scoring positions is a lot worse than the one who fluffs some chances.

I was discussing exactly that yesterday. From what I've seen so far, Wilkinson looks like a finisher. He got into two great positions yesterday, messed one up and slotted away the other very nicely.  To use a well worn cliché, it's about taking risks in the box.

6 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Never mind Ally tapping them in, the ball used just bounce off of random parts of Gherd Muller’s body and go in. As you say, it’s all about being in the right place at the right time. 

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Never mind Ally tapping them in, the ball used just bounce off of random parts of Gherd Muller’s body and go in. As you say, it’s all about being in the right place at the right time. 

Or as Gary Lineker used to say about goal scoring - "it's not about being in the right place at the right time, it's about being in the right place all the time".

• Like 1