SPL Motherwell v Kilmarnock 26/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, fizoxy said:

Paton changed the game for us. He was excellent, had composure when we were lacking it, and it brought the other midfielders into the game. I might still be high on that last minute goal, but I think I love him.

Particularly as he's 'shite', 'a lazy signing' and 'not SPL standard'.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In the first half only O'Donnell and Slattery would try to put their foot on the ball and calm things down. Spittal played some excellent through balls and incisive passes, but both the stikers just let everything bounce off them. At that point I would have taken a sneaky point all day long, we were woeful.

We snatched at passes and panicked like we were playing prime Celtic, instead of an agricultural mcinnes side. Paton changed that with his close control and compusure.

Spencer came into the game in the second half, but obviously struggled on his wrong side. He is very very fast.

The defense was pretty good outside of the goal which was due to bair losing his man(although casey should have e won the header anyway). Kelly made an excellent save late in the first half to stop an almost identical goal as well.

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

We snatched at passes and panicked like we were playing prime Celtic, instead of an agricultural mcinnes side.

That seems to have been Killie's superpower so far this season; and it's been working.

Great result, especially considering the injury situation, and you can't beat a winner at the death.

Keeping us above Rangers and equal with Celtic is a nice bonus too.

I only saw the second half. Paton never stopped moving for the 45 mins. He was around our own box for passes out and around theirs for passes in. Great composure on the ball for the finish and massive credit to Spittal (another one our fans under-rate) for getting to the bye line to put the ball in.

• Like 1

I only watched the last 30 minutes and judging by this thread it’s a good thing as it sounds like we were woeful. The 30 minutes I saw though it looked like we dominated.

Spittal setting up Paton for a 97th minute winner, you okay Steelboy?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wow!

After that first half I thought we’d be lucky to keep it to three and in then end we’ve went and snatched it and are now joint top of the league!

Say what you like about Kettlewell, his recruitment and our lack of forward options, he sure has an excellent record for us.

Great to see McInnes greetin at the end and always great sticking it to Killie at the death like that after the amount of times they’ve done the same to us. Dick Turpin and all that.

#You can stick yer paper roses up yer arse#

4 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Spittal setting up Paton for a 97th minute winner, you okay Steelboy?

Spittal had a nightmare up until then but credit to him for digging deep and getting the assist. 

Paton was excellent. Kilmarnock never got to grips with our half time adjustment and he used the space well. 

• Like 1