SPL Motherwell v Kilmarnock 26/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

32 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Paton changed the game for us. He was excellent, had composure when we were lacking it, and it brought the other midfielders into the game. I might still be high on that last minute goal, but I think I love him.

Yep , he was my motm even before the goal....thought the wee bugger had taken too many touches but what do I know??

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

That has to be two of the best team goals we've scored at Fir Park. 4/5 goals scored so far this season on the counter attack, if we can add a bit more threat in possession and set pieces we'll be looking good again. 

Yes, both goals were really well worked

2 hours ago, MJC said:

We’re being totally outplayed and should be 3-0 down. Killie are more physical, better organised and much more comfortable on the ball. They also have forward players with ability.

On early evidence Spencer looks poor and SO’D is getting skullfucked at right back everytime they attack down his side.

Skullfucked ????   Grow up. 

48 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

How did that work out? 

25 minutes ago, stv said:

Skullfucked ????   Grow up. 

Never mind me and what I post as an anonymous internet forum member. We got a really good win today, focus on that.

• Like 1

With that first half still fresh in the memory I almost can't believe I'm saying this but.....I think we deserved to win that game!

Obviously the first half was very poor.  Really hardly showed anything, only remember one real chance and Kilmarnock were well on top.

Second we were better, I wouldn't say great, but we improved and Kilmarnock went off the boil and between those two facts we managed to start to dictate the game.  There was still a lot of be desired in terms of performance but we got confidence from the goal and Kilmarnock sat too deep and I think made it a bit easier for us than if they'd stepped up the pitch a bit. 

We missed a penalty, Vassell missed a sitter and then we scored with the last kick of the ball so I suppose either team could have won it but I think we just about edged it.

Felt a bit sorry for Slattery having to wait so long to take the penalty, certainly makes it harder for the taker.

I wouldn't want to depend on Casey and Paton for winning goals too often which brings us to the forwards.

Bair, just don't see it.  He's a big athletic lad but just doesn't seem to have the instinct for football.  Pace and physique only gets you so far and it looks to me like Bair doesn't really know what to do.

Thought Kettlewell was playing favourites today with the substitution.  Efford wasn't great either but he at least got into some decent positions to receive the ball.

It worked out for the manager today and we carried a wee bit luck but there was something about that substitution that just gave you the impression that the manager seeing things slightly distorted from reality.

Fair play to Harry Paton though,  think it was the Queens Park match where he came on and did really well and changed things and today he was our best player.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MJC said:

This aged well. Not only did I get the subbed player wrong but Paton goes and scored the winner. :lol:

Are MJC your initials or does it stand for Mad Judgmental Cunt ?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Are MJC your initials or does it stand for Mad Judgmental Cunt ?

Both, probably.

But this is the match thread, it’s not about me. What’s your thoughts on the game today? (I see you’ve already posted your thoughts sorry)

Today in the first half we were second best to Kilmarnock. They looked more physical, held their shape better and looked much more dangerous in attack and deservedly led 1-0 at the break and it should have been more if we’re being honest.

In the second half the substitution of Paton for Efford helped boost us in the middle and Bair, who had a nightmare in the first half actually looked a bit more comfortable and competent. It was a good team move for the equaliser and a draw was probably a fair result even though we’d missed a penalty. Again a ridiculous length of time for VAR to check and confirm the original decision. But we snatched the points at the death from a cool finish from the aforementioned Paton and tonight we are sitting with seven points out of a possible nine. Which, our league cup exit to St.Mirren apart, makes for a very good start to the season for us.

21 minutes ago, MJC said:

Never mind me and what I post as an anonymous internet forum member. We got a really good win today, focus on that.

I know what a fantastic second half. Managers changes and Paton match winning performance saw to that. Oh and watching McInnes going into meltdown in front of us made it even better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MJC said:

Both, probably.

But this is the match thread, it’s not about me. What’s your thoughts on the game today? (I see you’ve already posted your thoughts sorry)

Today in the first half we were second best to Kilmarnock. They looked more physical, held their shape better and looked much more dangerous in attack and deservedly led 1-0 at the break and it should have been more if we’re being honest.

In the second half the substitution of Paton for Efford helped boost us in the middle and Bair, who had a nightmare in the first half actually looked a bit more comfortable and competent. It was a good team move for the equaliser and a draw was probably a fair result even though we’d missed a penalty. Again a ridiculous length of time for VAR to check and confirm the original decision. But we snatched the points at the death from a cool finish from the aforementioned Paton and tonight we are sitting with seven points out of a possible nine. Which, our league cup exit to St.Mirren apart, makes for a very good start to the season for us.

Good assessment 

Just back in, what a great result that never looked on at Half time, Killie lived up to their brutal away form 2nd half and we responded well. It's worrying that our most dangerous player 1st half and the only one who looked like scoring was Spencer playing at left back. 

Then another defender Casey gets us level, our alleged strikers are fekin awful, especially Efford he needs to be moved on and I really hope we get someone in before the window closes.

SK changed the game bringing on Paton as we then took control in midfield and began to look threatening for once, I thought we'd blown it by missing the pen but I'll take a 97th minute winner every day of the week. A great 3 points and Joint top of the league after 3 games not a bad start so far.

After the disappointment in Paisley and the depressing news since on the injury front, that last minute winner was quite the buzz. 

Credit to Kettlewell for altering things at ht after a dreadful performance to that point. Paton’s quality combined with the change in shape to a box in midfield gave us absolute control of the 2nd half. 

It’s evident we are lacking quality in key areas and Kettlewell’s decision to only use one sub speaks volumes. If we can get a couple of quality and reliable additions this week I think we’ll be in very decent shape.

Aside from the quality of both goals the biggest positive today was the character of the team. The likes of Casey and Spittal drove us on and look like real leaders to me. 

Finally, no harm to Killie but I love getting one over an in-form/fancied McInnes team. We seem to have quite a knack in doing so. 

• Like 1