Motherwell v Celtic 30/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

I may have got caught up in the emotion of the game but I couldn’t contemplate throwing any criticism at the players just now. I thought we were excellent, the players ran themselves into the ground and the last two performances against Rangers and Celtic have been miles ahead of the insipid performances that we’re routinely watched for much of the last 10 years. Full credit to Kettlewell and Frail for that. 

No harm to Theo who did well but we’re a proper striker away from being a right good team. 

Devastated today, that was up there with Kane in 2017 for me. Onto Livingston though, we need to return to gaining points rather than prolong a hard luck story. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I may have got caught up in the emotion of the game but I couldn’t contemplate throwing any criticism at the players just now. I thought we were excellent, the players ran themselves into the ground and the last two performances against Rangers and Celtic have been miles ahead of the insipid performances that we’re routinely watched for much of the last 10 years. Full credit to Kettlewell and Frail for that. 

No harm to Theo who did well but we’re a proper striker away from being a right good team. 

Devastated today, that was up there with Kane in 2017 for me. Onto Livingston though, we need to return to gaining points rather than prolong a hard luck story. 

I think that's a balanced and fair assessment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Can’t argue with any of that. We played as well as we could against the strongest side in the country and largely limited them in terms of chances and goal scoring opportunities. Unfortunately though you know that they have that bit of extra quality and you expect them to score at any minute and that’s what happened today. 

That said hard luck stories get you nowhere in football. Had we a proper striker today like a KvV or a pre 2017 Moult then I think we win that game. However we don’t so we didn’t and worryingly for us that’s the third game in a row we’ve been saying that. 

24 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Absoultely spot on mate

22 minutes ago, BigCDawg said:

Thought we were excellent all game......but seeing the boy taking ill at full time shows its just a game.......thoughts with him and is family......hope he pulls through

Puts things into a real perspective sometimes need to take a step back, rather than resort to calling players childish names and throwing toys out of the pram

Brilliant performance in the second half especially really enjoyed the game . End to end stuff.

Gutted about the result but to blame SK for anything is pretty poor , he set up the team well and nearly pulled it off. If it had ended 1-1 all the posts would have been about how well we played.  Remember how much money that Celtic team cost compared to us.

Sometimes a bit of perspective is needed. But i do get a laugh at some of the post tho.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BigCDawg said:

Thought we were excellent all game......but seeing the boy taking ill at full time shows its just a game.......thoughts with him and is family......hope he pulls through

Jeez didn’t realise that that’s what the commotion was about up there. Hope all is well for the guy.

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Only one person to blame for that defeat today … … … SK

Slatery and Miller were out on their feet at 75 minutes … … 

Why wait till they score for substitutes  !!!! 

We equalised after they were subbed. What did they have to do with the goal we lost after that?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If, as looks like will be the case, we're still in the top 6 after facing those two in back to back matches, we're doing ok.

Aye, sitting 5th after 3 defeats in a row is OK, we need to start winning again though, starting next week on that shitey plastic pitch.

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

No harm to Theo who did well but we’re a proper striker away from being a right good team

I agree but Shaw is, on today's evidence, not the answer if we're playing the system with four supporting midfielders and one striker. Obviously fitness is a factor when you've been chasing the ball all.game but it did seem like the ball stopped sticking up front when Bair went off. The pressure felt that bit more relentless and Shaw was losing possession a bit more easily than Bair...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I agree but Shaw is, on today's evidence, not the answer if we're playing the system with four supporting midfielders and one striker. Obviously fitness is a factor when you've been chasing the ball all.game but it did seem like the ball stopped sticking up front when Bair went off. The pressure felt that bit more relentless and Shaw was losing possession a bit more easily than Bair...

I think Bair had supporting midfielders arriving but by time Shaw was on he was totally isolated with midfield run in out of steam. I’d like to see them switch roles and start Shaw to see how he does with more time on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stv said:

Gutted about the result but to blame SK for anything is pretty poor ,

I think he made a mistake by not refreshing the midfield with about 20 minutes to go. Slattery and Miller were out on their feet and most fans thought that Celtic would come at us strongly in the closing stages. No one's perfect; everyone makes mistakes. He's young enough and bright enough to learn from that. 

To put that into perspective we're doing well and he's doing really well. We've just played the 4 best teams in the league.  The next few games will be a test as to how we react. 

The encouraging thing for me today is that, apart even from our weakened strikeforce, we could have played better especially in defence. Butcher and Gent have still to reach fitness and have yet to come in. Given the players we had at our disposal I reckon we were at 80/85% of our potential. Defensive errors let us down.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Aye, sitting 5th after 3 defeats in a row is OK, we need to start winning again though, starting next week on that shitey plastic pitch.

Four games left to complete first round of fixtures Aberdeen plus bottom 3. These are the games we need to be winning but nobody is going to give us the points we will need to play well and score and win the points.  We are capable of winning these games but we must execute. 

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think he made a mistake by not refreshing the midfield with about 20 minutes to go. Slattery and Miller were out on their feet and most fans thought that Celtic would come at us strongly in the closing stages. No one's perfect; everyone makes mistakes. He's young enough and bright enough to learn from that. 

To put that into perspective we're doing well and he's doing really well. We've just played the 4 best teams in the league.  The next few games will be a test as to how we react. 

The encouraging thing for me today is that, apart even from our weakened strikeforce, we could have played better especially in defence. Butcher and Gent have still to reach fitness and have yet to come in. Given the players we had at our disposal I reckon we were at 80/85% of our potential. Defensive errors let us down.  

Good point. We have been playing very well and we are all expecting some better players to return to the team. So how good will we be then?