St Johnstone v Motherwell 21/10/23

Toxteth O'Grady

1 hour ago, MJC said:

According to the BBC forecast the worst of the weather is meant to be on Friday so might be okay.

Assuming the game goes ahead it’s hard to see anything other than another blank and another defeat.

1-0 home win.Β 

I see the international break hasn’t improved your mood. I’m going for a 4-1 goal fest win ,with our strikers on song after the last two weeks of intensive shooting practice.Β 

3 hours ago, MJC said:

Disagree. We badly need points on the board.

Yeah, maybe. Were still top six for now so not in immediate danger. So if it is to be rained off we'd gave a game in hand to be played at a later date with hopefully Butcher and Biereth available.

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

We are 5th after 8 games having played both the Old Firm.

Β 

But then again you have used the R word a couple of times already this season so it's par for the course.

We're coming off a run of four defeats in a row. We could do with turning that around. I don't see anything unreasonable in saying that.

As for the R word. At this time - October with the majority of the season to go - I am not nailing my colours to the mast and saying that IΒ think we will be relegated. However if we don't start scoring goals and keeping clean sheets then it's a distinct possibility that we will be relegated, or at least be involved in the dogfight at the bottom.

13 hours ago, GazzyB said:

We are 5th after 8 games having played both the Old Firm.

Β 

But then again you have used the R word a couple of times already this season so it's par for the course.

Fifth, you are correct. But also three points clear of eleventh. Nature of the league maybe but I think to dismiss the R word after four defeats in a row while three points clear of the bottom two is naive...

13 hours ago, MJC said:

We're coming off a run of four defeats in a row. We could do with turning that around. I don't see anything unreasonable in saying that.

As for the R word. At this time - October with the majority of the season to go - I am not nailing my colours to the mast and saying that IΒ think we will be relegated. However if we don't start scoring goals and keeping clean sheets then it's a distinct possibility that we will be relegated, or at least be involved in the dogfight at the bottom.

Yeah, you can certainly say, if we don't improve, we might be in trouble. However, you could also say, if the teams below us don't improve, we'll be top 6. We're not the only team struggling to score goals and keep clean sheets, but I've faith that'll come right for us.

• Like 1

I don't expect him to start, or even feature, but Butcher is back in contention for this game according to Kettlewell. He's also expecting Biereth to rejoin the squad next week with his recovery tracking to plan exactly as expected. If we can tighten up what's already a fairly decent defence, and reintroduce what looks like a genuine goal threat up front I'll sleep a lot easier.

Judging by the Danger to life weather warnings issued for today through to Saturday I'm not 100% sure the game will go ahead, the Angus. Dundee / Perth area is to get the worst of the storm apparently. The pitch might be OK but travel to and from Perth might be badly hit.

12 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Fifth, you are correct. But also three points clear of eleventh. Nature of the league maybe but I think to dismiss the R word after four defeats in a row while three points clear of the bottom two is naive...

And four points off of 2nd, with less teams in between us and 2nd than us and 11th.

Β 

And we have Beireth & Butcher to return.

Β 

I guess my glass is just half full.

• Thanks 1

Biereth is almost reaching David Ferrere levels of greatness the longer he’s been out.

Obviously the circumstances are different but there are also similarities too. Like Ferrere he comes on as a sub in a second half against Hibs in a match we don’t look like scoring in. His contribution is different but also like Ferrere he turns the game around for us and we win. Cue Motherwell fans (me included) thinking we have a new hero, a new goalscorer on our hands….As we know Ferrere did nothing else in his short time with us and now it remains to be seen if Mika Biereth will/can do any more when he finally returns from injury.Β 
Β 

Only time will tell but pinning our hopes on an injured loanee who hasn’t played 45 minutes of football for us coming back fully fit and being the answer to our problems is optimistic, to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Only time will tell but pinning our hopes on an injured loanee who hasn’t played 45 minutes of football for us coming back fully fit and being the answer to our problems is optimistic, to say the least.

It is indeed optimistic, but honestly, it's all we have.Β 

• Like 1