Motherwell v Aberdeen 01/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

11 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Just watched highlights of Celtic v st mirren , helps if you've got a competent keeper too, Kelly , if he had made a couple of comfortable saves, we could've drawn that game.

Kelly is a decent lower to mid level Premiership keeper. At a push, I'd say that he was to blame for the 4th goal only and only then partly so. I'll explain. When we signed him and when we continue to select him week in week out, we know full well that he is poor at cross/aerial balls.  Thats not part of his game and never will be. Derek McInnes and Alex Cleland will know that, and  If SK isn't aware of that weakness he should be. In short, don't expect things to change as long as he's between the sticks. We should be factoring that into our defensive line ups and tactics, in the same way as Rangers did with Andy Goram. 

His distribution? Thats another matter.

He should have cleaned up the loose ball after Casey's challenge at the third. 

It was the same in the Scotland game in Paris where he was ball watching and allowed the ball to go out for a corner which cost the equaliser. He's a good instinctive goal keeper when the ball is near him but his decision making is terrible. The Celtic opener a few weeks ago he's panicked from a cross/shot that any decent goalie simply moves their feet and gathers.

• Like 1

Re: Kelly, I’d be looking to move him on in January. He’s out of contract at the end of the season, his form has been rotten this season and perhaps as was suggested last night, the ‘fame’ of getting a Scotland cap has turned his head. Punt him, give Oxborough the gloves and give Butcher the armband.

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

Re: Kelly, I’d be looking to move him on in January. He’s out of contract at the end of the season, his form has been rotten this season and perhaps as was suggested last night, the ‘fame’ of getting a Scotland cap has turned his head. Punt him, give Oxborough the gloves and give Butcher the armband.

Siegrist at Celtic may be available soon.

Kelly had a poor game. Perhaps he should be dropped, that said most of yesterdays starting 11 could/should be dropped. 

At their best our players work hard , have great shape and win majority of 2nd balls, with Mika up front we have a glimmer of something exciting.  At worst we perform as we have in last couple of games. 

Kelly, S'OD, Mugabi, Miller, Spittal, Slattery, Wilkinson could easily be dropped but we're fairly limited with who would replace them. I'd personally drop several akin to how wee Tommy approached poor performances back in the day.  

For Saturday I'd start  Butcher, McGinn , Casey, Paton.  Mika coming on for part of the 2nd half.  Other than that it's all up for debate.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

This time I am agreeing with you!! Lol

Kelly was great when he signed on loan and saved us getting relegated. However I don't think it would be major loss if he left and could be replaced.   Not looking for him to leave, just saying I think losing say Miller would be a bigger blow

Kettlewell's already been talking about teams looking closely at Kelly following his cap. We've done well with loan keepers in the past, so even if he doesn't fancy Oxborough, he must be thinking hard about the money he could get for shifting Kelly in January. Not a fortune, but mibbe enough to help bring one or two better quality players in, including an actual goalscorer with 2 working legs.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

In truth we lost the game before kick off last night. The formation and line up was all wrong and that was down to management. 5-4-1,  3-4-2-1 or whatever is a busted flush and we don't have the personnel to play that way. Too many square pegs in round holes last night. Defence was shocking, midfield non existent and lone striker totally isolated and ineffective. Just 30 minutes into the game I messaged our group that our formation was the main issue, and I'm no tactical genius.

In game decisions were also questionable.  Miller should have been taken off well before half time as he was clearly suffering after have been on the receiving end of 2 bad tackles. 

The team is chronically short of pace, especially out wide and in midfield. Both wing backs look vulnerable and thats where many of our defensive issues stem from. Aberdeen were poor but at least they looked organised and closed us down, just as Ross County did.

Paton was the best of a poor bunch in midfield and Slattery and Spittal were totally ineffective. They tried, but were far too isolated from Wilkinson. Too many high balls thumped aimlessly in Slattery's direction when he was being marked by 2 men. Too often he was out wide - not a role for which he is suited. Midfield formation just isn't right.

Up front? I said before the game, that Wilkinson is not suited to be a lone striker. He asked for balls to be played to his feet (Bair last Saturday?) but was frequently on the end of high balls thumped up to him when being marked by 2 big defenders. I saw a post on P & B by Fat Tony, which I'll quote, which sums up exactly my thoughts on him.

"Wilkinson up top alone I think has the same problem KVV had under Hammell, in that we're lumping the ball up and not getting anyone close to him in the event that he does win it. I'm not saying he's even on the same planet as KVV but I can understand how we didn't get anything out of Wilkinson playing him that way. He looked brighter in the second half with Biereth alongside but was obviously struggling a bit given his lack of game time. I think there's *something* there, if we can get him fit and not just stick him up top on his own against 3 strapping big CBs."

Biereth is our one bright hope, but how much can he achieve on his own? Unlike KVV in the second half of last season, he doesn't have the luxury of having an effective midfield and defence behind him.

One final note. It wasn't all down to SK last night, the players must take some responsibility.       

100% correct. Ten mins into that game you knew team format would hinder us. I sent a text to my mate after ten mins saying we'd get nothing out the game and wouldn't trouble Aberdeen in the slightest. If I can see that after ten mins. Better and more qualified than me should have seen it.

Just watched highlights.  Jeez should be 9pm watershed, absolutely embarrassing.

Goal 1.  Casey poor header and McGinn slow to react.

Goal 2.  Spencer out for a Sunday stroll rather than tracking man.

Goal 3. Young Lennon doesn't track McGrath.  Miovski got freedom of the pitch.

Goal 4.  No comment......shambles from McGinn butcher and Kelly

Liked Kettlewells interview, wasn't trying to sugar coat anything so let's hope for a reaction on Saturday.....COYW

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Does he look good in training?

well if sk sees him every day and thinks hes not up to it         why are we paying him to be a back up ,  am sure if your boss didnt think you were up to it he sure as shite would punt you and get someone who could do it

12 minutes ago, smiddy said:

well if sk sees him every day and thinks hes not up to it         why are we paying him to be a back up ,  am sure if your boss didnt think you were up to it he sure as shite would punt you and get someone who could do it

My bosses don't have a back up for me. That's probably due to the fact they're not gonnae pay someone to sit on their arse doing hee haw as long as they know I'm doing my job adequately.

Obviously, I'm not a professional footballer, and in that industry the bosses are obliged to employ people who may only ever be back up. I doubt they want to shell out a fortune in doing that, so there might be a big difference in quality between the first choice goalkeeper and his back up.

Personally, I couldn't name you the second choice goalies at most Scottish clubs because they very rarely play, barring injuries. As long as Kettlewell thinks Kelly is the better option, he'll pick him, unless he's actually trying to lose his job.

11 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

My bosses don't have a back up for me. That's probably due to the fact they're not gonnae pay someone to sit on their arse doing hee haw as long as they know I'm doing my job adequately.

Obviously, I'm not a professional footballer, and in that industry the bosses are obliged to employ people who may only ever be back up. I doubt they want to shell out a fortune in doing that, so there might be a big difference in quality between the first choice goalkeeper and his back up.

Personally, I couldn't name you the second choice goalies at most Scottish clubs because they very rarely play, barring injuries. As long as Kettlewell thinks Kelly is the better option, he'll pick him, unless he's actually trying to lose his job.

the point i am making is if your 2nd choice goalie isnt up to it,,,, then find another 2nd choice goalie that will at least give you something to think about, cause on kellys current form if steve clarke watched him he would be no where near the squad,   watch  killie shell  long high balls into our box on sat for big vassell,  and count how many kelly deals with  

29 minutes ago, smiddy said:

the point i am making is if your 2nd choice goalie isnt up to it,,,, then find another 2nd choice goalie that will at least give you something to think about, cause on kellys current form if steve clarke watched him he would be no where near the squad,   watch  killie shell  long high balls into our box on sat for big vassell,  and count how many kelly deals with  

We can't judge a goalkeeper playing at Motherwell on how the international manager would rate him. In all reality, our goalkeeper shouldn't be near the international squad most of the time regardless of who he is.

Kelly's form lately hasn't been great, and he probably knows that. But, a club like Motherwell can't afford to have two keepers of Kelly's level at the club. It just isn't feasible.

Kelly is first choice until he leaves, most likely. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

We can't judge a goalkeeper playing at Motherwell on how the international manager would rate him. In all reality, our goalkeeper shouldn't be near the international squad most of the time regardless of who he is.

Kelly's form lately hasn't been great, and he probably knows that. But, a club like Motherwell can't afford to have two keepers of Kelly's level at the club. It just isn't feasible.

Kelly is first choice until he leaves, most likely. 

yip he is,   but how good or bad is oxburgh ???    like the international  set up when craig gordon got injured, stevie clarke didnt hang his hat on kelly or clarke,  he went out and begged gunn to come n play that in its self tells you all you need to know ,clarks problem now is gunns injured ???? alegedly so who plays , but back to us,  kelly is not undropable, but will sk drop him before an international squad is picked ? probs not, does he deserved to be dropped / rested,  deffinetally  and iv thought he couldv been dropped before now but he ho i dont see the 2nd goalie at his work