Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, santheman said:

That's going to split us right down the middle.

Half will love it half will hate it.

I'm in the hate it half, I know it's meant to be a bit tongue in cheek but for me it's cringeworthy and a bit desperate all you get is the impression that we are skint and need the dosh as the wee boy at the end says. I know the media and comms department has been cut but that video looks like something a local youth team would produce as a fundraiser, not a premiership football team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, santheman said:

That's going to split us right down the middle.

Half will love it half will hate it.

I actually can't believe we've put that out. We would be absolutely rinsing any other club serving that up. Absolute red neck. 

I certainly hope we haven't paid "Scotland's leading advertising agency" for this, hopefully it was a charitable gift.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm in the hate it half, I know it's meant to be a bit tongue in cheek but for me it's cringeworthy and a bit desperate all you get is the impression that we are skint and need the dosh as the wee boy at the end says. I know the media and comms department has been cut but that video looks like something a local youth team would produce as a fundraiser, not a premiership football team.

I'm with you on that.

If that's the best the leading advertising agency in Scotland can come up with then gawd help us.

On the other hand it's the kind of sweet sickly stuff that the Yanks seem to like.

• Like 1

I think we are really looking for a philanthropist rather than an investor. To get a return on any investment we would need a conveyor belt of players being sold for good profits and/or some good cup runs at home and perhaps group stages of European tournaments. Perhaps not a lot of extra money coming in would be enough to improve our standing in the league at home but I’m not sure that would be enough to generate good ROI. 

I’m not sure how to react to that? On one hand I quite like it and think it’s reasonably funny and on the other hand I  hate it and think it’s a bit of a riddy.

time will tell. If it attracts a wealthy investor or more money to the club my riddy will fade quickly.

I watched it in bits, with the sound off and subtitles because I'm at work. My colleague actually noticed my despair and asked me what's up. I shared the video, so we got some American exposure. He thought it was cringe too.

I also sent it to my wife just there (also american), she feels so bad for me, you'd think my gran just died.

This is St Mirren opening a Celtic shop in their stand levels.

Not arguing with anyone’s opinion but it does raise the question, well maybe a couple of questions 

1. How will possible investors see this? Hoping for dumb luck or is there some targeted distribution method?

2. What would be a better way to try and attract investors/philsathropists? Should we approach larger well known clubs abroad or in England to be a part of their organization? Not even sure if rules allow that  

3. Do we care if investors would be British, American, European or any other nationality?

I’m clearly a minority here I actually liked the video it gave me a good chuckle. I’ve said for ages I’d like them to try something and we’ll……….. this is something. I’ll trust it’s been focus grouped and there’s been some test to check that the target demographic would find this appealing. 

Just my opinion here but it’s cringeworthy and as previous folk have said I’d be slagging off any other team for it.

But there is a serious note to it as well I think whereby we are in a bit of a hole financially and it strikes me as saying the well society isn’t working in the way that they thought/hoped it would. 

I dont know how I would feel about some “celebrity” coming in and making it their play thing. There’s been many examples of people coming into Scottish football with a “dream” or a “Vision” and it rarely ends well 

If we're serious about attracting investment, then we need to be serious about how we go about it. A tongue in cheek hail-mary video isn't going to cut it.

Some actual information on the benefits and what the club means, and would do with additional investment, and actually targeting people, is the only way to do this.

45 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

It's one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen come out of our club. 100% of our fans will absolutely hate that.

Jesus fucking christ.

Not my cup of tea admittedly, but there are quite a few fans who like it.

We will be a laughing stock now off the back of that video,the fact there's been thought to this then the time,effort and a cost involved and yet we have still thought it was a good idea to put out sums us up as a club at the minute,fucking clueless.if this is how were really trying to attract interest in the club and potential investment then we can forget it.

I can take or leave the video, but it's obviously not meant to be a financial prospectus or the company accounts; just something to raise awareness.

A prospective investor isn't going to make a decision based on 90 seconds of youtube.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfc said:

We will be a laughing stock now off the back of that video,the fact there's been thought to this then the time,effort and a cost involved and yet we have still thought it was a good idea to put out sums us up as a club at the minute,fucking clueless.if this is how were really trying to attract interest in the club and potential investment then we can forget it.

I doubt that video is our entire investment strategy.

27 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I watched it in bits, with the sound off and subtitles because I'm at work. My colleague actually noticed my despair and asked me what's up. I shared the video, so we got some American exposure. He thought it was cringe too.

I also sent it to my wife just there (also american), she feels so bad for me, you'd think my gran just died.

This is St Mirren opening a Celtic shop in their stand levels.

The last line says it all for me a random wee boy saying "Taylor swift geez yer dosh" ffs an utter embarrassment for a professional football club to commission and sanction something like that

• Like 1

The first thing I'd say is that it would be worth looking at what kind of advertising we all see daily. Think about the amount of stuff on television during the ad breaks that we think "bloody hell, that's ridiculous" only to then be humming the daft tune from it while messing about the house, or mentioning it in conversation later. 

Unless you're a top-level brand like Nike, Adidas or Apple you really can't take yourself too seriously in any ad campaigns. That's the first thing I'd be telling the club if I was working on that project.

The kind of ad we put out has a good chance of working on a few levels:

Relatability: We're using a self-deprecating type of humour to acknowledge the challenges or stereotypes associated with mid-sized clubs in the football world. By doing so, we hope to become more relatable to potential small investors who appreciate the club's humility and authenticity.

Memorability: Using humour in advertisements can make campaigns more memorable. Creating funny and memorable content, especially if it involves self-deprecating elements, could increase the likelihood of the target audience remembering and sharing the content.

Differentiation: Acknowledging the limitations or common perceptions of mid-sized clubs like ours can help Motherwell stand out. By humorously addressing these aspects, the club can demonstrate a unique and self-aware identity, setting itself apart from larger or more prestigious football clubs. Basically, we know what we are and what we are not.

Audience Engagement: Like it or not, humorous and silly content tends to generate higher engagement on social media platforms. The club is likely looking to leverage an ad like this to create engaging content that resonates with fans (not just Motherwell fans, I may add), encouraging them to share, comment, and actively participate in the online community.

Now, I know there'll be people who disagree, but that's basically how it works. And it's an approach that has been successful for many companies, which is why they use it. 

it's not an exact science, of course, and the ad itself will only work if the club get it right with distribution channels and then manage to provide a serious front when someone gets in touch, by way of a pitch deck or business and investment plan.

The ad is only the gateway. A way to get eyeballs and attention, however that comes about doesn't really matter.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, stevie_mfc said:

Just my opinion here but it’s cringeworthy and as previous folk have said I’d be slagging off any other team for it.

But there is a serious note to it as well I think whereby we are in a bit of a hole financially and it strikes me as saying the well society isn’t working in the way that they thought/hoped it would. 

I don't think we are in financial bother. There are only two ways for us to make more money either do better on the park or find a rich idiot. 

The board can't do anything to make us better on the park. That's down to Kettlewell, Daws and Clarkson. The board obviously don't want to do nothing so they are looking for the rich idiot.

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The last line says it all for me a random wee boy saying "Taylor swift geez yer dosh" ffs an utter embarrassment for a professional football club to commission and sanction something like that

You’ll be changing your tune when Taylor and Travis are sitting up in the stand with their pie and bovril, cheering on the ‘Well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not my cup of tea admittedly, but there are quite a few fans who like it.

They are blinded by the fact it's Motherwell FC.

If St Johnstone had done this they'd be howling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't think we are in financial bother. There are only two ways for us to make more money either do better on the park or find a rich idiot. 

The board can't do anything to make us better on the park. That's down to Kettlewell, Daws and Clarkson. The board obviously don't want to do nothing so they are looking for the rich idiot.

Not sure how much more Money comes with limited success but we should probably refer to other source as philanthropist until we actually have their money ! 

• Haha 1