St Johnstone v Motherwell 27/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

A troll is someone who says something awful or something they don’t really believe to intentionally get a reaction. Those who want the manager gone, for the most part, have given a decent reasoning in their posts.

Calling them trolls and dismissing them because they disagree with you is pretty tragic. It’s a message board for opinions and all are welcome.

Agree 100% Gazzy. Sometimes the trolls are not the ones who are supposedly identified. If someone genuinely holds views that is not trolling. 

1 hour ago, purestate said:

Given this is the StJ thread what’s people’s thoughts on how they have fared since appointing Levein?   He’s an experienced coach with degree of success in this league who’s now had a few months and almost an entire transfer window to bring in “his” choices.  Would seem like the pedigree some have suggested we look for as a replacement for SK.  
genuinely interested if people think the individual manager can make all the difference regardless of squad and budget.  

A very good question. Our fans and St Johnstone fans are very different and our expectations are very different. Levein is a very good fit for Saints in that he's continuing established traits, if not results. They are a cynical, physical and streetwise team,  no in fact club. Solid with few errors. Those traits are unacceptable to our fans, who like to be entertained, but not St Johnstone fans. As far as they are concerned they have 2 simple golden rules, based on the Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby approach to football. Just do it and don't get caught. Winning is everything. Win at all cost. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I genuinely don't know and I've tried. He committed 3 bookable fouls and was booked for none. He could and should have been red carded by the 23rd minute. Appalling officiating. 

He was exactly the same in the last match at fir park.

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree 100% Gazzy. Sometimes the trolls are not the ones who are supposedly identified. If someone genuinely holds views that is not trolling. 

Steelboy is completely entitled to his opinion. I just don't see what the purpose of calling our players shite and calling for Kettlewells head every five minutes achieves. It achieves nothing in my view 

12 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Here is another inventive fact

"It didn't work out for Courts in Hungary but he's still got more achievements to his name as a manager than Kettlewell. "

The truth is Courts has won nothing as a Manager in the senior Leagues. East of Scotland League in 2018 was his last success. It is also the truth that in that same year Kettlewell won the Championship and   Challenge Cup as a Manager.

As for today. We gained a point on two teams we hope to finish above. For me that is a positive. If we are ahead of both at the split then we are in the driving seat.

Ah, but he won the league as part of a management team with Steven Ferguson, and Kettlewell only made the tea and polished boots, apparently, so it doesn't count. 

Yeah, we went to Perth and came back still ahead of St Johnstone, so it has to be a better result for us than them. It's not pretty stuff, it's not a fantastic squad, but we're up against teams who are no different. Given our lack of funds and horrendous luck with injuries, I'll take survival this season. I think that's being realistic at this point.

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Watch you don't put your back out moving those goalposts. Get Tam Courts to help you, he's at a loose end the now.

BB do you think there is a chance that steelboy IS mjc ??  just askin so a kin tell ma auld pal yoda, or is he also steelboy ??  the plot thickens   can these 3 people just be one person ???  somebody get scooby doo n shaggy onto it, they will rip the mask off to reveal the true identity 😁 you can thank me later   SORTED those pesky kids

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

BB do you think there is a chance that steelboy IS mjc ??  just askin so a kin tell ma auld pal yoda, or is he also steelboy ??  the plot thickens   can these 3 people just be one person ???  somebody get scooby doo n shaggy onto it, they will rip the mask off to reveal the true identity 😁 you can thank me later   SORTED those pesky kids

Could be a Jeckyll & Hyde thing, where one of them says Kettlewell's utter pish and the other thinks he's the grea.....

Mibbe no.

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

sorry steelboy your wrong, he  said near the end of his contract that he wanted the chance to try engerland, 

Cornelius didn't want to stay with Motherwell. He rejected a new contract. He was in the press saying his dad wanted him to stay at Motherwell but he didn't. So honestly how this can be seen as a Kettlewell failing is beyond me. And good luck to the boy. He had talent but he wasn't phenomenal. Same as McKinstry and Tierney and all the other players some fans keep shouting that we shouldn't have let go. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Cornelius didn't want to stay with Motherwell. He rejected a new contract. He was in the press saying his dad wanted him to stay at Motherwell but he didn't. So honestly how this can be seen as a Kettlewell failing is beyond me. And good luck to the boy. He had talent but he wasn't phenomenal. Same as McKinstry and Tierney and all the other players some fans keep shouting that we shouldn't have let go. 

They all become better in their absence, good luck to all of them 

12 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I appreciate St. Johnstone are not a great benchmark but I thought today we were the better team by a long, chalk and just lacked a real cutting edge up front.

heez  arriving shortly,,  and not travelling far , heez a big moody fecker, who can stick them under the bar , thank u

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Seeing the goal on Sportscene I don't think Considine was interfering. Correct decision.

It was the correct decision because he was onside so it doesn’t matter whether or not he was interfering.

28 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

It was the correct decision because he was onside so it doesn’t matter whether or not he was interfering.

I’d have to see it again but the brief look I got on the stream looked like saints player was offside (not the scorer) but not really interfering

No point relying on VAR to cover up our terrible defending at the corner. 

Played better after that though, despite St Johnstone's usual anti-football efforts. 

If we can bring in another striker or two we should be in decent shape. 

Never made game today so can't comment on performance but a draw not bad but we need to start winning games .

I love this forum and appreciate everyone has own views but some of the negativity at times is hard to read.   Let's try and be positive and hope for more success soon.....COYW

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

I love this forum and appreciate everyone has own views but some of the negativity at times is hard to read.   Let's try and be positive and hope for more success soon.....COYW

It's the internet equivalent of sitting in the East Stand or, for people my age, standing in the East Terrace.

Luckily we didn't have the internet during the first Premier League season of Tommy McLean or any of our relegation seasons. You don't know what a bad team is until you've seen a team get relegated and then finish 6th in the First Division.

• Like 3