โ€‹๐Ÿ†โ€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

Firstly, I am not a fan of disposing of managers at the drop of a hat, and I still stick by the manager. HOWEVER, like a few others on here, I was totally dismayed at A/ The team he put out last night(should have been freshened up in my opinion after the 2 previous games in quick succesion) B/ The lack of tactics C/ Some of the subs and "tactics" thereafter were baffling.

You can`t get everything right, all of the time, but SK is not helping himself a lot of the time. He has to get the selection and tactics right against Aberdeen. Unfortunately, for me, this means dropping Kelly. He has been average(with the odd great save) for ages now, and Kettlewell must show his managerial teeth by dropping him. I don`t know how good Oxborough is, but there is only one way to find out!ย 

7 minutes ago, Wellsince1976 said:

Firstly, I am not a fan of disposing of managers at the drop of a hat, and I still stick by the manager. HOWEVER, like a few others on here, I was totally dismayed at A/ The team he put out last night(should have been freshened up in my opinion after the 2 previous games in quick succesion) B/ The lack of tactics C/ Some of the subs and "tactics" thereafter were baffling.

You can`t get everything right, all of the time, but SK is not helping himself a lot of the time. He has to get the selection and tactics right against Aberdeen. Unfortunately, for me, this means dropping Kelly. He has been average(with the odd great save) for ages now, and Kettlewell must show his managerial teeth by dropping him. I don`t know how good Oxborough is, but there is only one way to find out!ย 

It's not Kelly's fault he is on the relatively high wage he is on but we need an exceptional player by our standards for that moneyย 

36 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

How can you struggle to get the ball down. It's easy you send a message from your brain to your feet don't put the ball in the air. That's as hard as it gets

Sounds easy but with the windย  how it was it makes it difficult. Surely you are aware of that .ย 

42 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

How can you struggle to get the ball down. It's easy you send a message from your brain to your feet don't put the ball in the air. That's as hard as it gets

You have to have a big defence to match giant strikers and tough characters to win challenges. If you do that you nullify the opposition and the get the ball down and play the way you want.ย 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mortonhallwell said:

We weren't going much further in the Cup anyway so getting some decent finance into our skint club would have been very welcome. Financially tonight is a disaster because we will will not receive any further Cup income.

Don't really see your logic. Why not hope for a winnable home draw in the next round then face one of those Glasgow clubs in the semis or the final? Surely those are worth more to us financially.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

We do, but do you honestly see it happening? Last night could finally be the straw to break the camel's back.ย 

I would take a draw just now if offered.ย  We had been doing well before last night. Just need a reset but will be a tough game especially with Miovski up top

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

It's not Kelly's fault he is on the relatively high wage he is on but we need an exceptional player by our standards for that moneyย 

Itโ€™s not Kellyโ€™s fault are you blind Kelly hasnโ€™t came off his line in 2 years for a high ball he is useless and that summed him up last night useless needs dropped and hope we donโ€™t sign him for next seasonย 

Just now, dmsd said:

Itโ€™s not Kellyโ€™s fault are you blind Kelly hasnโ€™t came off his line in 2 years for a high ball he is useless and that summed him up last night useless needs dropped and hope we donโ€™t sign him for next seasonย 

Not all keepers come off their line - Gorum is an example .

no question Kelly has had poor games and looks devoid of confidence .

As poor as he was for the first goal last night the defence were equally poor. The amount of crosses into our box where the opposition won the first and second ball is disgraceful and frankly a key reason we concede so many goals .

Someone posted earlier at lack of spine - good keeper , good centre halve, centre mid and forward - we lack all of the above .

Butcher looks done as a player - Iโ€™d rather bring Casey back in and see if he can regain last seasons form

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

Not all keepers come off their line - Gorum is an example .

no question Kelly has had poor games and looks devoid of confidence .

As poor as he was for the first goal last night the defence were equally poor. The amount of crosses into our box where the opposition won the first and second ball is disgraceful and frankly a key reason we concede so many goals .

Someone posted earlier at lack of spine - good keeper , good centre halve, centre mid and forward - we lack all of the above .

Butcher looks done as a player - Iโ€™d rather bring Casey back in and see if he can regain last seasons form

I agree about the defence but Kelly is glued to his line all the time and other teams know this am an ex keeper and it sticks out like a sore thumb him stuck to his line โ€ฆthen was it just before the first goal he drops one that nearly cost us a goal he isnโ€™t good enough and can see itโ€™s whatโ€™s happened throughout his career starts well then fades awayย 

10 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would take a draw just now if offered.ย  We had been doing well before last night. Just need a reset but will be a tough game especially with Miovski up top

Warnock isnโ€™t daft. Heโ€™ll analyse last night, with the likely main outcome being the tactic of a barrage of balls into Kelly. A draw takes us back to where we were at before the County game, but I don't even see that happening. A doing is more likely, unfortunately.ย 

Buyabu is taking a lot of criticism on here but I thought that he did okay. Fired in a decent cross, tracked back, seems to be comfortable with the ball at his feet and quick too. Hopefully he can link up with Gent in a similar way to Montgomery.

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Buyabu is taking a lot of criticism on here but I thought that he did okay. Fired in a decent cross, tracked back, seems to be comfortable with the ball at his feet and quick too. Hopefully he can link up with Gent in a similar way to Montgomery.

He looked vastly out of his depth to me last night, but I did concede that he was dropped into a shit show. Perhaps a start and/or playing alongside Gent will see him step up.ย 

42 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Don't really see your logic. Why not hope for a winnable home draw in the next round then face one of those Glasgow clubs in the semis or the final? Surely those are worth more to us financially.

What would you consider to be a winnable home draw? Just think Raith Rovers or Albion Rovers for example. After last night I wouldn't trust us against any level of opposition.

We are capable of delivering a poor performance against any team.ย 

Just now, Mortonhallwell said:

What would you consider to be a winnable home draw? Just think Raith Rovers or Albion Rovers for example. After last night I wouldn't trust us against any level of opposition.

This is exactly why we canโ€™t finish in the playoff spot. This squad and manager are an entirely different (shittier?) beast to those in 2015.ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Mortonhallwell said:

So true , we are fair game at any level. I've seen the worst of the worst dick us. So far in my 46 years of watching insufferable shite the only saving grace is we've never drawn Darvel.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

This is exactly why we canโ€™t finish in the playoff spot. This squad and manager are an entirely different (shittier?) beast to those in 2015.ย 

ย 

I actually watched the 2015 play off games on YouTube the other night. The team we had would depose every single player in last night's team

Long, Law, Laing, McManus, Hammel, Ainsworth, Lasley , Pearson, Johnson,ย  McDonald, Erwin and John Sutton on of the subs.

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I actually watched the 2015 play off games on YouTube the other night. The team we had would depose every single player in last night's team

Long, Law, Laing, McManus, Hammel, Ainsworth, Lasley , Pearson, Johnson,ย  McDonald, Erwin and John Sutton on of the subs.

They would, but they still finished in the play-off spot. You could probably say the same about every team who were in the Premier then and now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

You have a point that Motherwell play off team would probably comfortably top six in this current league of cross.

I always suspected the players' attitude got us through that play-off rather than anything Baraclough did. Makes me wonder about their attitude in the games prior to that, right enough. Summed up by Ainsworth - very capable when he could be arsed.

This lot are undoubtedly of a lesser standard but their attitude's been pretty good in most matches, Dingwall and last night being obvious exceptions. Just need to hope they get over it sooner than we will.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I always suspected the players' attitude got us through that play-off rather than anything Baraclough did. Makes me wonder about their attitude in the games prior to that, right enough. Summed up by Ainsworth - very capable when he could be arsed.

This lot are undoubtedly of a lesser standard but their attitude's been pretty good in most matches, Dingwall and last night being obvious exceptions. Just need to hope they get over it sooner than we will.

I'm over it already , No one could convince me that lot wouldn't fuck it up. Hence my Sky Bet certainty.

39 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I always suspected the players' attitude got us through that play-off rather than anything Baraclough did.

We had better players 1-11 which got us through the playoff.

Their stinking attitude got us into the playoff.

42 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Stuart McCall being in the opposition dugout played a big part in us getting through the playoff too imo. A bigger bottle merchant in managing one off games youโ€™ll struggle to find. Baraclough being an โ€˜outsiderโ€™ helped us greatly too.