โ€‹๐Ÿ†โ€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Think we should have taken a gamble on getting van veen to get us through cup and another pay day. He's already got 1 assist as a sub. Starts todayย 

From the BBC commentary......

Van Veen barely seen

Kilmarnock 1-0 Cove Rangers

We haven't seen too much of Kilmarnock's big January signing on his first start for the club.

Maybe he's still hiding behind the post.

He's been subbed off.

The KVV that left us for Groningen is not the same KVV that signed for Killie. If we'd signed this overweight, unfit, anonymous KVV, you'd have been shouting that the board and the manager are incompetent for wasting money on a guy who won't be fit for half the remaining campaign.

ย 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Morton managed it , it's really not that difficult and in many other games we've played the same hoofball when there is no wind at all, with the same pitiful outcomes.

Well they didn't did they. They got ball forward quickly. And played on our inability to defend so fair play to them .if you think they passed us of park by getting ball down and passing round us I will disagree with you on that .

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

From the BBC commentary......

Van Veen barely seen

Kilmarnock 1-0 Cove Rangers

We haven't seen too much of Kilmarnock's big January signing on his first start for the club.

Maybe he's still hiding behind the post.

He's been subbed off.

The KVV that left us for Groningen is not the same KVV that signed for Killie. If we'd signed this overweight, unfit, anonymous KVV, you'd have been shouting that the board and the manager are incompetent for wasting money on a guy who won't be fit for half the remaining campaign.

ย 

Itโ€™s a bit quick to be dismissing him like that, but, van Veen is a confidence player and as weโ€™ve seen during his time with us when he is in the mood and his head is up then he can deliver big time. On the other hand we also know that he can be quite huffy and moody when things arenโ€™t coming off for him.ย 
ย 

I genuinely think we got the best of him last season and he will struggle to replicate anything like that form again. Donโ€™t get me wrong, he would be an improvement on our current striker options but he wouldnโ€™t be the KvV that scored in eleven games in a row that we got from February til May last year.ย 

Despite Killie having more strikers than us; and playing a game less than us since KVV signed; and KVV being more unfit than Vale, he's already started and played more minutes than him.ย 

What does that tell us? SK was reluctant to rotate the squad despite being in an intense run of games.ย 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Despite Killie having more strikers than us; and playing a game less than us since KVV signed; and KVV being more unfit than Vale, he's already started and played more minutes than him.ย 

What does that tell us? SK was reluctant to rotate the squad despite being in an intense run of games.ย 

On the bright side, Vale's already scored two more goals than Van Veen. He definitely needs to be given his chance.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

Well they didn't did they. They got ball forward quickly. And played on our inability to defend so fair play to them .if you think they passed us of park by getting ball down and passing round us I will disagree with you on that .

They played the ball on the deck far more often than we did, unlike us they didn't continually resort to the hoof ball. Indeed for their second goal the ball never left the surface. I'm in no way suggesting Morton were a silky deck playing team but the played the ball on the surface more than we did. Every time SOD , Kelly,ย  Mugabi, Miller, or Butcher got the ball you knew it was going skywards.ย 

6 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

They played the ball on the deck far more often than we did, unlike us they didn't continually resort to the hoof ball. Indeed for their second goal the ball never left the surface. I'm in no way suggesting Morton were a silky deck playing team but the played the ball on the surface more than we did. Every time SOD , Kelly,ย  Miller, or Butcher got the ball you knew it was going skywards.ย 

I couldnt agree more,we all know the last thing you do is punt the ball all over the park when the wind is blowing all over the place so for paidย  professionals to continually do it last night is mind boggling,add in the fact that we were punting it to bair who was never going to get any joy against there two centre halves and it makes it even worse.it actually looked like our tactic last night was give the ball to kelly as much as possible so he could hoof it forward and his distribution is dire,we couldn't have played into mortons hands anymore than we did and paid the ultimate price of being out the cup.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

On the bright side, Vale's already scored two more goals than Van Veen. He definitely needs to be given his chance.

Agreed Bobby, but my point is that he should have been given a bit more gametime in the past week. SK has been overly cautious. Had he brought on Vale earlier in the Ross Countyย  game and played him alongside Bair for a spell, with 2 up front that might just have masked his intentions for last night's debacle and given our dear friend Dougie more to think about.ย 

45 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

They played the ball on the deck far more often than we did, unlike us they didn't continually resort to the hoof ball. Indeed for their second goal the ball never left the surface. I'm in no way suggesting Morton were a silky deck playing team but the played the ball on the surface more than we did. Every time SOD , Kelly,ย  Mugabi, Miller, or Butcher got the ball you knew it was going skywards.ย 

I dont think they did pal but that's football all about opinions.ย  I actually watched game again today on Iplayer and we did have some nice 1 touch stuff but went nowhere with it.ย 

They weren't miles better but scored 1st and had bigger players than us who bullied us a bit and wanted it a wee bit more I felt.ย 

I'm same as you in totally raging with result and wondering where we go next but I know something we can't give up.

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agreed Bobby, but my point is that he should have been given a bit more gametime in the past week. SK has been overly cautious. Had he brought on Vale earlier in the Ross Countyย  game and played him alongside Bair for a spell, with 2 up front that might just have masked his intentions for last night's debacle and given our dear friend Dougie more to think about.ย 

Agreed. What's done is done, but Kettlewell needs to be using Vale and the other guys going forward. I could understand why he was loathe to use subs when the bench was almost devoid of decent options, but it's looking stronger now, so let's see them getting a fair run out.

• Like 1

Dougie Imrie would have known we'd field a 4-2-3-1 line up or similar and known the personnel. He set out to suffocate Spittal and Paton, which they did successfully and thereby cut out Bair's supply on the deck. Soย  we start firing high balls to him much to the delight of the Morton central defence. Now even we know he's no target man. We had no Plan B. So predictable.ย 

12 hours ago, Wellsince1976 said:

I agree. He needs to be dropped. Bit I don`t think the manager will, as that would definately end any faint hopes he has of a Euro place.

fuck pandering to his euro place, he didnt give a fuck for my scottish cup away days :) only kidding , but that shouldnt stop him from being dropped, anyway as iv said before i dont think the manager has the bawz to drop him , but we shall see,,,,,,,ย ย ย  unless he gets a mysterious training ground injury ;) that would solve the problem

I agree that Kelly needs to be "rested"ย  but what we don't know is what SK thinks about Oxborough. He's a known unknown.ย ย 

As it stands, the defence rightly has no confidence in their goalie and captain and he, rightly, has no confidence in them.ย 

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree that Kelly needs to be "rested"ย  but what we don't know is what SK thinks about Oxborough. He's a known unknown.ย ย 

As it stands, the defence rightly has no confidence in their goalie and captain and he, rightly, has no confidence in them.ย 

Not a complete unknown as he has played two cup games already.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

I dont think they did pal but that's football all about opinions.ย  I actually watched game again today on Iplayer and we did have some nice 1 touch stuff but went nowhere with it.ย 

They weren't miles better but scored 1st and had bigger players than us who bullied us a bit and wanted it a wee bit more I felt.ย 

I'm same as you in totally raging with result and wondering where we go next but I know something we can't give up.

I actually thought Morton were worse than I was expecting which makes it worse, they didn't need to try that hard and they had us beat.

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I actually thought Morton were worse than I was expecting which makes it worse, they didn't need to try that hard and they had us beat.

As hard as this is. We need to move on. I'm not having a go at you here but we never do things the easy way do we.ย 

1 hour ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Our goal in case you forgot we scored a goal.

ย 

Very decent goal. Good play by Devine and good finish by Vale.

A few things spring to my mind as being obvious about the current team/set up.ย 

1) Kelly - being rested is no bad thing. This happened to Maxwell back in the day and he benefited from it.ย 

2) Centre Halves - we don't have 3 good centre halves - so don't always play 3. ย 

3) Devine and Gent both look very good in the wingback area play them both please. ย 

4) Play both Bair and Vale - ย  BUT when you bring on Obika -one of them needs to come off. They are not a good front 3.ย 

We've got more than enough goals in us to progress but we need to move away from being a soft touch for any set plays/crosses.ย 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

A few things spring to my mind as being obvious about the current team/set up.ย 

1) Kelly - being rested is no bad thing. This happened to Maxwell back in the day and he benefited from it.ย 

2) Centre Halves - we don't have 3 good centre halves - so don't always play 3. ย 

3) Devine and Gent both look very good in the wingback area play them both please. ย 

4) Play both Bair and Vale - ย  BUT when you bring on Obika -one of them needs to come off. They are not a good front 3.ย 

We've got more than enough goals in us to progress but we need to move away from being a soft touch for any set plays/crosses.ย 

A lot of sense in that. We need to toughen up the squad and add more physicality.

We need a new goalie, preferably one who is 6-3+ and good in the air. Priority for a rebuild. Short term, give Oxborough the gloves.ย 

Central defence? Where do we start? Sadly, I think Butcher is finished at this level. O'Donnell and McGinn don't have the height to play there, although McGinn has been a steadying influence and should retain his place. Both can't play in the same central set up. Mugabi - good in the air but a bit of a bombscare. For me the jury is still out on Blaney and Casey. We need more height and dominance in the middle. A priority for any rebuild.

Wing backs - short term, agreed.

Midfield we need a hard physical type in there. In Mark McGhee speak "someone to stand on heads".

Up front, yes I'd play both Bair and Vale, but please...keep their service on the deck.ย 

As my late dad used to say "Its possible to score when you don't have the ball, but its very rare". In any game, its highly unlikely that the opposition will willingly give you the ball; more often than not, you have to fight for possession. As we saw on Friday evening, its all very well having better players but you have to compete and win the ball first. If opponents choose to fire in high balls to your penalty box, you have to have the height and physicality at the back to nullify that. We just didn't. Paton marking Oakley at their first goal???ย 

Win the ball first then feed your better players and let them strut their stuff. Morton would not have bullied teams in the top six or even Livingston the way they did with us.

• Like 1