β€‹πŸ†β€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

58 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A lot of sense in that. We need to toughen up the squad and add more physicality.

We need a new goalie, preferably one who is 6-3+ and good in the air. Priority for a rebuild. Short term, give Oxborough the gloves.Β 

Central defence? Where do we start? Sadly, I think Butcher is finished at this level. O'Donnell and McGinn don't have the height to play there, although McGinn has been a steadying influence and should retain his place. Both can't play in the same central set up. Mugabi - good in the air but a bit of a bombscare. For me the jury is still out on Blaney and Casey. We need more height and dominance in the middle. A priority for any rebuild.

Wing backs - short term, agreed.

Midfield we need a hard physical type in there. In Mark McGhee speak "someone to stand on heads".

Up front, yes I'd play both Bair and Vale, but please...keep their service on the deck.Β 

As my late dad used to say "Its possible to score when you don't have the ball, but its very rare". In any game, its highly unlikely that the opposition will willingly give you the ball; more often than not, you have to fight for possession. As we saw on Friday evening, its all very well having better players but you have to compete and win the ball first. If opponents choose to fire in high balls to your penalty box, you have to have the height and physicality at the back to nullify that. We just didn't. Paton marking Oakley at their first goal???Β 

Win the ball first then feed your better players and let them strut their stuff. Morton would not have bullied teams in the top six or even Livingston the way they did with us.

SOD is six foot, he's got the height surely?Β 

16 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Despite Killie having more strikers than us; and playing a game less than us since KVV signed; and KVV being more unfit than Vale, he's already started and played more minutes than him.Β 

What does that tell us? SK was reluctant to rotate the squad despite being in an intense run of games.Β 

The thing is though surely. Van Veen is experienced in the SPL and a more experienced footballer at this level given his age. Whether Kettlewell got it right or wrong hes surely had reasons for easing the new players in whereas I assume part of the reason Van veen is getting game time is to sharpen up his match fitness and because they are paying so much for him - there would be questions asked about leaving someone on his salary on the bench given all the fanfare around his signing.Β 

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

The thing is though surely. Van Veen is experienced in the SPL and a more experienced footballer at this level given his age. Whether Kettlewell got it right or wrong hes surely had reasons for easing the new players in whereas I assume part of the reason Van veen is getting game time is to sharpen up his match fitness and because they are paying so much for him - there would be questions asked about leaving someone on his salary on the bench given all the fanfare around his signing.Β 

Some truth in that. Of course SK had his reasons, but whether they were right or not is another matter.Β  It would not have harmed us to have given Vale more game time against Killie and/or Ross County and either started him on Friday or brought him on earlier. As it was Imrie knew exactly how we'd set up and did a proper job on us.

15 hours ago, wellgirl said:

As hard as this is. We need to move on. I'm not having a go at you here but we never do things the easy way do we.Β 

I've had 46 years of moving on , it's water off a ducks back within a day. I'm as close to chucking as I've ever been. I am seriously bored watching this year on year whinge about being skint , year on year fuck ups in Cups, year on year having to rebuild from loan deals every 6 months. I seriously question what would I miss.

Β 

Β It's OK when you are young there is an air of excitement about it all but as you get older and see the same script year on year the attraction diminishes, well thats how I feel, maybe some other who started watching us in the 1970s still get the excitement.Β 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some truth in that. Of course SK had his reasons, but whether they were right or not is another matter.Β  It would not have harmed us to have given Vale more game time against Killie and/or Ross County and either started him on Friday or brought him on earlier. As it was Imrie knew exactly how we'd set up and did a proper job on us.

Agree with this. Personally I think the last half hour v County was a missed opportunity. Then again, if SK had made numerous substitutions on the hour and County had fought back, he would have been slaughtered for throwing away three precious points.

Also, as much as some fans have an OTT dislike of Imrie, perhaps he is turning out to be a very good Manager and an astute tactician. Credit where credit's due. He did us over.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I've had 46 years of moving on , it's water off a ducks back within a day. I'm as close to chucking as I've ever been. I am seriously bored watching this year on year whinge about being skint , year on year fuck ups in Cups, year on year having to rebuild from loan deals every 6 months. I seriously question what would I miss.

Β 

Β It's OK when you are young there is an air of excitement about it all but as you get older and see the same script year on year the attraction diminishes, well thats how I feel, maybe some other who started watching us in the 1970s still get the excitement.Β 

Since 1966 for me and I know exactly how you feel.

The issues within our Club run a lot deeper than whoever happens to be Manager. My main concern is I don't see anything encouraging me to believe things will improve any time soon. Any enjoyment I get is short term as the next disappointment/crisis is just around the corner. It is a chore to go to some games now and purchasing a Season Ticket fells more like a duty. But you might be right, it could be just an age thingπŸ˜„.

The only comfort I take is that fans of other Clubs are experiencing similar issues. Why should that be the case? Perhaps despite ever improving facilities, sport science etc. etc., due to financial constraints and poor governance of the game, the standard we are witnessing is falling season upon season and consideration for fans is a thing of the past.

• Like 2

Me too and its definitely an age thing.

I went on Friday not expecting a lot and the team duly delivered. 5 years ago I would have been punching walls and been a nightmare to live with for a couple of days but now I just shrug my shoulders and try to motivate myself to go to the next game.

I think its going to get worse with the likes of Dundee Killie et al getting inward investment so they will probably (although not necessarily) be able to afford better players which in theory will leave clubs like us scraping along the bottom of the table fighting relegation.

Hopefully we get some investment, some new blood on the board and some kind of settled squad.

57 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Also, as much as some fans have an OTT dislike of Imrie, perhaps he is turning out to be a very good Manager and an astute tactician. Credit where credit's due. He did us over.

He's turning out to be as big a pain in the arse as a manager as he was a player.

Interesting that a relative rookie was able to beat us tactically at the first time of asking when an old hand like Levein couldn't do it in 3 attempts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

He's turning out to be as big a pain in the arse as a manager as he was a player.

Interesting that a relative rookie was able to beat us tactically at the first time of asking when an old hand like Levein couldn't do it in 3 attempts.

Was he not in charge of Morton when Donnelly scored a late extra time winner at Fir Park to avoid a penalty shoot out? They put up a decent showing that game as well although we did waste lots of chances and dominate possession.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Was he not in charge of Morton when Donnelly scored a late extra time winner at Fir Park to avoid a penalty shoot out? They put up a decent showing that game as well although we did waste lots of chances and dominate possession.

You're right. Feels like an awful long time ago now.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Β 

Great post and I get what you are saying.

I think we are more or less where we were when I started watching in mid 70s,

i . e mid table top league.... obviously there's a lot happened in between , cup win, relegation, play off win. That's just off top of my head...I did waver for a few years , circa 2004.

I still get a buzz here and there but if you analyse why you go too much , you probably would jack it in, the authorities don't sell it well, playing in dead of winter etc...it's better than shopping is about the best I can give you....keep the faith bud, we need you

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Check you're facts, not the first time and certainly didn't beat us tactically. Our players were told how they would play, but unfortunately didn't step up to the plate. As I previously said, it wasn't a game for young Miller, but plenty games it will be. I've watched us for over 60 years, some ups, some downs. We move on. But 100%, Imrie didn't beat us on tactics and now way is he good enough to be a top manager. He's just a throwback to an angry man type manager.Β 

Yep i agree with a fair few of you i been going for around 45 years now to Fir Park i am nearly 50 years old and i am at the stage where i am so bored of the club it just feels like groundhog day more so last couple of years its been terrible.

Now i make a round trip of nearly 70 miles,i dont drive so i am at the stage where do i really need this,the x amount i am spending could go on something elseΒ  and the big question is would i really miss it alot enough to care.

This has nothing to do with the fact we got beat by Morton as someone said above used to its nothing really new its more so this season i look at the quality on the pitch and there is nothing to get me excited,not one player i want to turn up and watch.

So i shall be reviewing the new chairman and new ceoΒ  watch over the summer what they are going to do moving forward and if i like what i hear see some progress then i shall turn up and if its more of the same then think it might be time to watch from afar sadly.

2 minutes ago, Wee Dougie said:

Check you're facts, not the first time and certainly didn't beat us tactically. Our players were told how they would play, but unfortunately didn't step up to the plate. As I previously said, it wasn't a game for young Miller, but plenty games it will be. I've watched us for over 60 years, some ups, some downs. We move on. But 100%, Imrie didn't beat us on tactics and now way is he good enough to be a top manager. He's just a throwback to an angry man type manager.Β 

I've already acknowledged this was his second game against us. That's the only fact. Why you think they won and we lost is opinion.

What's Dougie Imrie's disciplinary record as a manager?

Β 

11 minutes ago, Wee Dougie said:

Talking of an angry man! Maybe you should check your facts.

Like him or loathe him, Imrie's record at Morton is decent. Since taking charge in late 2021 he led them clear of probable relegation and then missed the play offs last season on goal difference. Currently in a play off position on a good unbeaten run. Numerous Manager of the Month awards and a win % in excess of 40. In a League where his budget is way below the majority of his opposition. And the team he coaches has just deservedly beaten a team from the Division above. As I said previously, credit where credit's due.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wee Dougie said:

not the first time and certainly didn't beat us tactically. Our players were told how they would play, but unfortunately didn't step up to the plate.

Can I check my understanding of what you said Dougie? More on me than you. You're saying the manager got his tactics pretty much spot on and that his team selection, with the exception of Miller, and substitutions was pretty fine as well. The players couldn't or wouldn't (we don't know which) follow out his instructions.Β 

56 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Yep i agree with a fair few of you i been going for around 45 years now to Fir Park i am nearly 50 years old and i am at the stage where i am so bored of the club it just feels like groundhog day more so last couple of years its been terrible.

Now i make a round trip of nearly 70 miles,i dont drive so i am at the stage where do i really need this,the x amount i am spending could go on something elseΒ  and the big question is would i really miss it alot enough to care.

This has nothing to do with the fact we got beat by Morton as someone said above used to its nothing really new its more so this season i look at the quality on the pitch and there is nothing to get me excited,not one player i want to turn up and watch.

So i shall be reviewing the new chairman and new ceoΒ  watch over the summer what they are going to do moving forward and if i like what i hear see some progress then i shall turn up and if its more of the same then think it might be time to watch from afar sadly.

You are a better man than me mate , I only travel from EK to Motherwell. If I had 70 mile round trips I think I'd be done.Β 

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Feel the same. I been going 45 years too and similar age. I'm fed up if the constant rebuilding and as soon as we get half decent player, we loose him. I know we are a selling club but the fans must have something to inspire us and keep going. It's getting boring and predictable. I remember we used to have at least one player worth going to see. Not too excited about which space in bottom 6 we will get to. Will see what CEO has to say also.Β 

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Β 

Your post summed up how I've been feeling for a few years and interesting how it has generated similar responses.

Been following since early 70s when living in EK, been in Clacks for 35 years now, thats been a lot of 80 mile round trips (although at least I'm closer to Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen 🀣).

We had 2 season tickets in the family, both lapsed, and increasingly its only to meet up with great folks I've met over the years that keeps me going, but not as frequently as before.

I don't blame any one thing for this; it's many things from overall state of Scottish Football, my utter contempt for the Old Firm, the constant stream of loan players and a lack of quality and entertainment, while understanding our finances, the bile that occasionally surfaces when things go wrong.

I've had some great times and experienced great moments in my time following, but they are fading into the past and frankly I don't see any of that returning

Will still attend fairly regularly but it's now down the order of priorities and I'm past getting angsty about it. Indeed maybe it is just an age thing.

Β 

• Thanks 2

Completely agree with some of the above posts. I just turned 34 and whilst I don’t go to any games I support my team just as much from afar. I spent a few months in California there and I was up at 7am every week to watch us get absolutely scudded and put in awful performance after awful performance. These days it feels much more like a chore and something I do out of necessity rather than enjoyment.

Β 

I don’t think it’s an age thing. I think the mediocrity and staleness of it all is just getting to people, and as someone above said it looks like it’s going to be that way for the next while.

Β 

Oh well, Aberdeen Hearts and Celtic up next.Β