Motherwell v Kilmarnock 03/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

I'd have taken a draw beforehand, providing we win on Tuesday. Not a bad result and SK has steadied the ship. We deserved to win but were toothless up front where it counts. In many ways a carbon copy of the St Johnstone game.  I know we're very limited due to circumstances, but I'm not a fan of playing with one striker. Yesterday, Bair put in a good shift and scored a nice goal but for long spells was left isolated and unsupported. Too often we broke well but failed to get bodies into the box. I was a little surprised that some of the new boys, like Jack Vale, didn't get 10 minutes or so to ease them into the side. We're going to need squad rotation in the coming weeks. I thought we need some subs say aroungd the 65/70 minute mark when we began to flag.

Still, not a bad performance and we managed to hold Killie to a single point. We were in control for considerable spells and had more possession. We also largely blunted the threat from their wide boys, with some tactical nous. I thought McGinn, Bair, and Paton were the pick of the bunch. Spittal had a good first half but faded in the second. Butcher is coming back onto a game as he regains match fitness. Paton was my MOTM, but isn't suited to such an advanced role.

The goal that we lost was again soft and Kelly was rightly raging at his defence (midfield). Their first and only shot on target. They had 2 or 3 men waiting unmarked for clearances on the edge of our box. Sure as fate Mayo managed to get a free, unhindered shot on target. Poor, or rather lack of, defending from our midfield.  Spittal released Bair with a peach of pass and the big man did the rest with a cool finish. 

In the second half, we looked dangerous on the break and created several chances but lacked a killer touch.  I was a bit uncomfortable though with the amount of pressure we allowed Killie to exert as we sat too deep as the clock ticked down. 

The referee was again weak and inconsistent and that caused various flare ups during the game. We were warned beforehand by management to expect a hard bruising encounter and thats how it turned out. Killie were physical, streetwise and cynical and were fortunate have 11 men on the pitch at full time. 

Not a great result, but not a bad one. We really need to start winning though.         

28 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Paton was my MOTM, but isn't suited to such an advanced role.

Paton is a strange one. I previously called him a lazy signing by Kettlewell, but then I held my hands up to acknowledge that he's been quite decent. The thing is, though, he seems like he's only 95% of a footballer. He does lots of neat work, makes progressive turns and runs with the ball,  but then makes a shit final pass or finds himself onto the ball in the box and smashes it wide. It's infuriating, but you can see why he's being picked to start, although I think that needs to change now that we've got more options in the door.

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Paton is a strange one. I previously called him a lazy signing by Kettlewell, but then I held my hands up to acknowledge that he's been quite decent. The thing is, though, he seems like he's only 95% of a footballer. He does lots of neat work, makes progressive turns and runs with the ball,  but then makes a shit final pass or finds himself onto the ball in the box and smashes it wide. It's infuriating, but you can see why he's being picked to start, although I think that needs to change now that we've got more options in the door.

Agreed. He's a busy, mobile and combative lad, who can drive forward, but lets himself down when near goal. Probably better suited to a slightly deeper role. 

It was interesting yesterday that that Maguire and Elliot (how mnay wing backs do we need on the bench?) didn't make the bench.  I get the impression that Elliot is on a relatively low wage and is here as more of a project to be assessed before the summer. That may be  a wild take though.  

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

It was interesting yesterday that that Maguire and Elliot (how mnay wing backs do we need on the bench?) didn't make the bench.  I get the impression that Elliot is on a relatively low wage and is here as more of a project to be assessed before the summer. That may be  a wild take though.  

Maguire is so far out of the picture that it’s weird he didn't go back out on loan or something. 

Elliot left Wellington Phoenix in (I think) May 2023 and probably hasn't kicked a ball since. 

Whilst it’s good not to lose, drawing too many games is a recipe that will having us staying near the bottom of the table. I was really frustrated with Kettlewell yesterday as I felt he should have rolled the dice with a few subs around the 60 minute mark. I felt one of the fullbacks should have been introduced then and Halliday was done, so Miller should have been on earlier. I also fail to see the point of introducing Nicholson on 89 minutes. He should have been on no later than 75 minutes. We need to be winning games at Fir Park. We’ve still only won once in the league in 20 league games, which simply isn’t good enough. Playing for draws just isn’t good enough. Nevertheless, the general level of performance is at least a lot better. We still need to work on ball retention and meaningful shots on goal though. We must also be a team who are the least effective at corner kicks. We could take them all day long and hardly lay a glove. Frustrated! 

31 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Maguire is so far out of the picture that it’s weird he didn't go back out on loan or something. 

Maguire has already played for two clubs this season. So for him to play in the second half of the season, it'd have to be us or Kidderminster. And they don't want him back so...

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Maguire has already played for two clubs this season. So for him to play in the second half of the season, it'd have to be us or Kidderminster. And they don't want him back so...

Good point. 

57 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Whilst it’s good not to lose, drawing too many games is a recipe that will having us staying near the bottom of the table. I was really frustrated with Kettlewell yesterday as I felt he should have rolled the dice with a few subs around the 60 minute mark. I felt one of the fullbacks should have been introduced then and Halliday was done, so Miller should have been on earlier. I also fail to see the point of introducing Nicholson on 89 minutes. He should have been on no later than 75 minutes. We need to be winning games at Fir Park. We’ve still only won once in the league in 20 league games, which simply isn’t good enough. Playing for draws just isn’t good enough. Nevertheless, the general level of performance is at least a lot better. We still need to work on ball retention and meaningful shots on goal though. We must also be a team who are the least effective at corner kicks. We could take them all day long and hardly lay a glove. Frustrated! 

I personally don't think the team is playing for draws. Everyone knows we are light up top and this is where our problems lie. 

19 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I personally don't think the team is playing for draws. Everyone knows we are light up top and this is where our problems lie. 

Our width is provided by attacking full backs. When they get tired and stop getting up to support attacks, we lose momentum. SK should have freshened things up around the 60 minute mark to restore greater attacking intent. Instead he hummed and hawed and did nothing. He had the chance to go for the win and bottled it. There ain’t much difference between draws and defeats with 3 points for a win. Got to be braver. Also, it’s his fault we lack attacking options. He had all of January to sort that and just signed full backs. 

1 hour ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

It's a double edged sword , as you say too many draws keeps us near the bottom but as long as we keeping getting points and not losing we pull clubs who may hit a bad run into the mix. The more clubs in the mix the bigger chance we have of escaping. Look at Hibs they've been utter shite and are now only 4 points ahead of us . Dundee are supposed to be having a great season and they are only 4 points ahead of us. If we keep putting points on the board when we do get a win it can move us up quite quickly as well as pulling others into the grubber.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Our width is provided by attacking full backs. When they get tired and stop getting up to support attacks, we lose momentum. SK should have freshened things up around the 60 minute mark to restore greater attacking intent. Instead he hummed and hawed and did nothing. He had the chance to go for the win and bottled it. There ain’t much difference between draws and defeats with 3 points for a win. Got to be braver. Also, it’s his fault we lack attacking options. He had all of January to sort that and just signed full backs. 

I don't think it's as simple as to say that he's at fault that we lack attacking options. Do you think he wasn't trying to get a striker in during the transfer window? 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

I don't think it's as simple as to say that he's at fault that we lack attacking options. Do you think he wasn't trying to get a striker in during the transfer window? 

Given it's his job, I can't think of anyone else to blame here. The buck stops with the manager.

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

Given it's his job, I can't think of anyone else to blame here. The buck stops with the manager.

Don't think we can blame everything on Kettlewell. Like the fact we were priced out of the bidding for Van Veen. Or the fact that another team didn't want to let a striker go to a potential relegation rival. Surely there's lots of factors in the mix leading up to the club not having lots of spare cash - like paying Alexander and Hammell off and other reasons. 

21 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Quite a few of the new lads had just arrived and are settling in, so its limited what we could /can change during games. However I take your general point that we could have been slightly more adventurous. Given Vale 10 minutes (like KVV was given) or have given Nicholson say 15 minutes (he was given more time at Perth). Miller could have come on a bit earlier, when we began to flag. We need to be more adventurous on Tuesday evening.  

17 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

You have said this or something similar in a number of posts now. In any job, you can try as hard as you like but if you cant pull off the goal despite trying then it is only right that people question abilities.

9 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Don't think we can blame everything on Kettlewell. Like the fact we were priced out of the bidding for Van Veen. Or the fact that another team didn't want to let a striker go to a potential relegation rival. Surely there's lots of factors in the mix leading up to the club not having lots of spare cash - like paying Alexander and Hammell off and other reasons. 

He failed to adequately recruit in an essential position and appears to have overrectuited in the fullback position, so maybe money isn't the sole deciding factor here. It's not my fault or your fault or Groningen’s fault or Killie’s fault or anyone else’s fault. It's the manager’s fault. It's his job and all football manager’s know that the buck stops with them.

3 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

You have said this or something similar in a number of posts now. In any job, you can try as hard as you like but if you cant pull off the goal despite trying then it is only right that people question abilities.

I'm not suggesting people can't question Kettlewell. 

3 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

But that hes 'trying hard' so he gets a pass for not doing an essential part of his job.....

I can't be bothered tbh. It's clear there's no room for opposing opinions on here. I'm as concerned as the next person about the position we are in just now. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Quite a few of the new lads had just arrived and are settling in, so its limited what we could /can change during games. However I take your general point that we could have been slightly more adventurous. Given Vale 10 minutes (like KVV was given) or have given Nicholson say 15 minutes (he was given more time at Perth). Miller could have come on a bit earlier, when we began to flag. We need to be more adventurous on Tuesday evening.  

I totally agree with that,we should have been more adventurous with our subs yesterday,with miller and nicholson being the obvious ones.i think there will be a few games like yesterday still to come this season,tight games at home and we will need to start rolling the dice and going for it,it's the only way we will get out of trouble.i can't fault kettlewell for the starting line up yesterday,we got a decent point the week before so he kept it as it was as most managers would.on some of the new signings,I genuinely think we won't see a great deal of elliot or devine,I can't see o'donnell dropping out,especially when we're still struggling at the bottom for untried and inexperienced players and when blaney and casey are fit enough to play any chance of o'donnell moving into the back 3 is slim.

had a lot of the ball in the middle of the park, feel we are light linking between midfield and up top. without spitall who is away at end of season we struggle to link play

all about opinions but i thought halliday was annoymous yesterday, and for all the full backs we have signed i think sod is still hard to replace , thought he did well yesterday along with davor, spittal and bair.