Aberdeen v Motherwell 14/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

20 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I'm sure the we hate Kettlewell crew will be on here soon to enlighten you. Watch this space !

People are entitled to voice their concerns over what they feel to be inadequate management. The overwhelming majority of it is done constructively.

16 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

People are entitled to voice their concerns over what they feel to be inadequate management. The overwhelming majority of it is done constructively.

Quite agree that people have the right to voice their concerns but no way has it been constructive from some people. Wait till you get messages telling you that you aren't welcome on here - and for the record. I've spoken to a couple of people in private that I've not agreed with - but I've never tried to chase anyone off of here. And when I got that message I was sitting in bed with a broken nose and two black eyes.. like we all have stuff going on away from here. I honestly can't be bothered trying to explain. 

Their opinion is as valid as mine. I just can't be arsed with the negativity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

VAR may be a scourge on the game, but we've only got ourselves to blame tonight.

Yep Butcher playing like a school by pushing the Aberdeen player and getting our 4th goal chalked off. What goes through his head, he knows VAR will see it if the ref doesn't, clown. The Aberdeen player wasn't even getting near the ball without the foul.

3 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Quite agree that people have the right to voice their concerns but no way has it been constructive from some people. Wait till you get messages telling you that you aren't welcome on here - and for the record. I've spoken to a couple of people in private that I've not agreed with - but I've never tried to chase anyone off of here. 

Their opinion is as valid as mine. I just can't be arsed with the negativity 

If you're receiving DMs from people saying that to you I strongly encourage you to post them so as to publicly name and shame them.

24 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

If you're receiving DMs from people saying that to you I strongly encourage you to post them so as to publicly name and shame them.

Im not going to do that. Im not going to shame anyone. They just picked the wrong day. Like ..  I went to a gig. Someone tripped me up by complete accident. I've broken my nose. Smashed my face. Two black eyes then I come on here to someone saying you aren't welcome on here. It was just the wrong day. That's all. Another day it wouldn't have mattered that much. 

I've been through a lot online elsewhere. Threats .. some really horrible stuff. Stuff that almost ruined my entire life. 

And that has nothing to do with people on here .. but see when folk are messaging saying stuff like that. It triggers all the stuff you have been through before. (And they weren't to know that). All I'm saying is that we are all human behind the keyboard irrespective of whether we agree about Motherwell. 

I would honestly be ashamed if I posted something to someone the way someone spoke to me last week. Id be absolutely cringing myself inside out. The fact that they aren't speaks volumes and to be honest. I don't blame people for leaving here. And that isn't a pop at the mods. Not in the slightest. I also think if I weren't female I would not have been on the other end of it. They would not have spoken to a man like that. No way. 

And I also need to mind how I post. And if I get it wrong which I have. I'll always message the person concerned and say sorry. 

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

We have been guilty of extending contracts in the past.  Just my opinion but giving Carroll and McGinley and Maguire extensions was crazy.  Obika contributes nothing and more injury prone than Moult 

Yip he’s on the list and it’s a big list for the get rid off. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

My view is that a January window is for signing starters (like defenders) to help a struggling team immediately. It's not a time for signing projects, or unfit and injured players just because we can. 

I’d disagree with that, if someone you want either as a project or is not fit but is available then it doesn’t matter when you sign him if you believe in him. Signing him now gives him 6 months to get fit/improve/settle in. Also if you wait until June/July he would probably no longer be available. 

Didn’t see the game today but just watched the highlights. Bair was excellent for his second goal.  His movement to shake off his marker before a composed Tap in was great to see. Thats him now up to equal third scorer, with 10 goals, behind Shankland and Miovski. 

Watched highlights last night. The Bair's confidence just gets stronger and Gent's crosses superb.  Great finish from Devine but needs to be better defensively.

In all honesty......Dons goal chopped off is ridiculous decision and for our disallowed goal Butcher totally stupid, you won't get away with that and if that was up other end we would be screaming for a foul.

But ....despite all the frustration about throwing away a 3 goal lead we are 7th and basically 8 clear of Ross Co ( miles better goal difference)

COYW

I had fallen asleep about ten minutes before KO despite having purchased the game. When I saw the score I was fairly content with the result all things considered until I looked further into how the game unfolded. By all accounts, it sounded like we were playing some really good stuff before we folded like origami. Quite frustrating as they made two early subs to change it up and it only took like 30 seconds for it to pay dividends. I think Motherwell are working their way through a checklist of different ways to disappoint us this season. 

Delighted for Theo, great penalty and a lovely finish for his second. Nice finish from Devine for his goal and Vale was unlucky not to make it 3 from 3.

I don't feel as if VAR has annoyed anyone much as of late but plenty of incidents were raised in this game. We were told the cameras are perfectly calibrated with the pitch but it's funny as it looked like Miovski was onside but he was off by a nose. The Paton goal is annoying as Obika is clearly getting fouled before Butcher's gentle shove on McGrath.  

It wasn't that long ago that Aberdeen were like 2 or 3 points ahead with 3 games in hand. 

Anyway quite frustrating as we could have been a point off of the top six. 

6 hours ago, wellgirl said:

Im not going to do that. Im not going to shame anyone. They just picked the wrong day. Like ..  I went to a gig. Someone tripped me up by complete accident. I've broken my nose. Smashed my face. Two black eyes then I come on here to someone saying you aren't welcome on here. It was just the wrong day. That's all. Another day it wouldn't have mattered that much. 

I've been through a lot online elsewhere. Threats .. some really horrible stuff. Stuff that almost ruined my entire life. 

And that has nothing to do with people on here .. but see when folk are messaging saying stuff like that. It triggers all the stuff you have been through before. (And they weren't to know that). All I'm saying is that we are all human behind the keyboard irrespective of whether we agree about Motherwell. 

I would honestly be ashamed if I posted something to someone the way someone spoke to me last week. Id be absolutely cringing myself inside out. The fact that they aren't speaks volumes and to be honest. I don't blame people for leaving here. And that isn't a pop at the mods. Not in the slightest. I also think if I weren't female I would not have been on the other end of it. They would not have spoken to a man like that. No way. 

And I also need to mind how I post. And if I get it wrong which I have. I'll always message the person concerned and say sorry. 

Leaving aside the RL stuff that has happened to you or what has went on elsewhere, i think you are over-thinking this place.

You are clearly on one side of the spectrum - SK is trying hard/SOD is a lovely guy/Slattery is a great player etc etc. That is your opinion and that is completley fine. You have every right to it & folks have a right to disagree. 

Where you are wrong however is that the boo boys are the only opinion tolerated. Have a look at the responses Steelboy, Yodo & MJC get and you will see there are plenty giving them it tight.

Its a fans football forum and we dont all see things the same way. It shouldnt be an echo chamber for boo boys or happy clappers. When people post on a discussion forum they should expect to be challdnged.

The one thing i would say is that if people are sending you PMs that are trying to chase you off or threaten or upset you in any way, report it to the mods. That behaviour shouldnt be tollerated.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AllyMax said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to what I posted before the game started...........I saw nothing in Devine's cameo on Friday to suggest he could defend. To me he was caught between attacking and defending all the time. Was exactly the same tonight. They had the run of that flank till he went off.

I'll give you that chief. Didn't look clever at 3rd for sure 

10 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

You have to be honest here, it’s bad game management, simple as that, 3-0 up and you should be killing the game, slowing down play, frustrating them, we done none of that, allowed them back into the game to grow in confidence.

For me , at 3 - 0 we should have kept doing what we were doing and looked for goals 4 and 5 

Just watched the highlights, with the sound turned off. Much better that way.

We do look good going forward and cut open Aberdeen. Its good to watch. Bair is certainly a find and now looks confident. He took his penalty very well and was in the right place at the right time for his second. Devine took his goal very well - a difficult finish. 

Defensively we were shambolic and the first was one we could have lost against Ross County - opponents with time and space in and around our box.  

VAR did us no favours last night and the authorities need to decide how it should be used. Aberdeen's second should have been chalked off as even I could see the infringement, and thats saying something. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioend that at the corner, the ball was outside and not touching the arc. Or, has that rule been dispensed with now?  Aberdeen's disallowed effort was rightly chalked off as Miovski was marginally off, not by very much though. Paton was unlucky to have his goal disallowed though as there was a fair bit of wrsetling going on from both sides.  Fair play to Aberdeen though as I think the defender who went down, as if poleaxed, probaly saved them.  Gamesmanship?

Its not often we get a fair hearing from referees at Pittodrie and last night didn't break that mould. A rare penalty there though!     

40 minutes ago, Jastons said:

For me , at 3 - 0 we should have kept doing what we were doing and looked for goals 4 and 5 

We should have done that or shut up shop. Instead, we did neither, which was as predictable as water is wet, and we have to question why these disappointingly predictable outcomes happen. See also the Morton game. 

An answer could be poor management and a weak-minded squad, although I'm excluding the attacking players and tactics from this view as it was good the most part yesterday.

Another answer could be bad luck, but that would be too kind.

Another answer could be the lack of an on-field and off-field leader, which I think is probably about right. We don't seem to have anyone on the park capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck or anyone in the dugout capable of making effective decisions when the tide turns against the plan or the going gets tough.

I'm sure others will also have answers to this. 

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

VAR did us no favours last night and the authorities need to decide how it should be used.

They've decided to use it to re-referee games, which is what happens when incompetents are given a new toy to help them.

In my view, VAR is a useful tool for helping officials judge offsides and goal-line issues, but that's about it.

Football is a contact sport, so players will often barge and tug and tackle and nudge, which always looks bad when slowed down and shown to some overpromoted prick who's never played the professional game themself. And players know this, so they either exploit it or are undone because they forget it exists. 

It's a farce and it's ruining the spectacle. People will stop going to games because the spontaneous joy has been sucked out of it. 

1 hour ago, Big Stall said:

Where you are wrong however is that the boo boys are the only opinion tolerated. Have a look at the responses Steelboy, Yodo & MJC get and you will see there are plenty giving them it tight.

Its a fans football forum and we dont all see things the same way. It shouldnt be an echo chamber for boo boys or happy clappers. When people post on a discussion forum they should expect to be challdnged.

The one thing i would say is that if people are sending you PMs that are trying to chase you off or threaten or upset you in any way, report it to the mods. That behaviour shouldnt be tollerated.

Pretty much agree with that. We need a full range of opinions on these forums, from happy clappers to perpetual pessimists. The important thing is to respect others' views and not get personal.  We all want the team to do well but we express that support or frustration, at times, in different ways. If posters are driven out then thats a real cause for concern. If posters leave because the forum is too negative thats their choice. 

I've begun to read, but not post on, P & B again. Its an perhaps extreme version of this site; its different. The best is better and the worst is worse. There's room for both sites and I hope they both thrive. For folk who think this site is OTT or overly negative you do get some extremely negative posts on P & B that put some posters on here in the shade.  

I've no problem with Steelboy, Yodo & MJC being challenged for their views but sometimes it gets personal and a bit OTT. There's nothing wrong with posting the odd provocative message to stimulate discussion, providing its not offensive or personal.

Live and let live / each to their own.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wellfan said:

They've decided to use it to re-referee games, which is what happens when incompetents are given a new toy to help them.

In my view, VAR is a useful tool for helping officials judge offsides and goal-line issues, but that's about it.

Football is a contact sport, so players will often barge and tug and tackle and nudge, which always looks bad when slowed down and shown to some overpromoted prick who's never played the professional game themself. And players know this, so they either exploit it or are undone because they forget it exists. 

It's a farce and it's ruining the spectacle. People will stop going to games because the spontaneous joy has been sucked out of it. 

I get that in the lead up to goals and red cards footage is checked for infringements. I suppose the question is which infringements count and which don't. Is an illegally taken corner like last night relevant or isn't it? What about a foul throw? What if a player scores with a free kick that was taken yards away from where it should have been? 

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much agree with that. We need a full range of opinions on these forums, from happy clappers to perpetual pessimists. The important thing is to respect others' views and not get personal.  We all want the team to do well but we express that support or frustration, at times, in different ways. If posters are driven out then thats a real cause for concern. If posters leave because the forum is too negative thats their choice. 

I've begun to read, but not post on, P & B again. Its an perhaps extreme version of this site; its different. The best is better and the worst is worse. There's room for both sites and I hope they both thrive. For folk who think this site is OTT or overly negative you do get some extremely negative posts on P & B that put some posters on here in the shade.  

I've no problem with Steelboy, Yodo & MJC being challenged for their views but sometimes it gets personal and a bit OTT. There's nothing wrong with posting the odd provocative message to stimulate discussion, providing its not offensive or personal.

Live and let live / each to their own.

For my views and provocative comments, I was labelled an ignorant dumbfuck by another user yesterday, which doesn't overly bother me as they've never met me. All it does, however, is highlight the petty stupidity of that individual to the rest of the forum.  

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I get that in the lead up to goals and red cards footage is checked for infringements. I suppose the question is which infringements count and which don't. Is an illegally taken corner like last night relevant or isn't it? What about a foul throw? What if a player scores with a free kick that was taken yards away from where it should have been? 

All valid questions, but they will only be ironed out once the incompetents are removed from their posts. 

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I get that in the lead up to goals and red cards footage is checked for infringements. I suppose the question is which infringements count and which don't. Is an illegally taken corner like last night relevant or isn't it? What about a foul throw? What if a player scores with a free kick that was taken yards away from where it should have been? We need clarity. If its ok to take a corner kick from outside the arc, or take foul throws then  just say so as it would make life far clearer and easier.  

I did notice the ball at the corner thing last night and wondered about that. However, I think its like the ball over the goal line. You need to see the ball from directly above. The ball can be over the corner arc from above without actually touching the line on the grass.