2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

On 5/11/2024 at 7:44 PM, Kmcalpin said:

When he first arrived they were considerably better than they are now. His form has shaded in the past 3 years.

Along with a decline in the quality of the defence in general that's playing in front of him. 

6 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

What was the story with Callan Elliot? Did he ever make the bench? That other player we had as well that got sent back home for "sinister" reasons too? What was the point of these signings?

Yeah he did make the bench as far as I know. As for the other signing - I have no idea. That's all I've seen on him, speculation as to why he went home. I expect Kettlewell wanted cover incase of injuries. The other signing was a loan. 

Bair is a tricky one.

Id rather he signed an extension/improved deal so that we are not scrambling around for another striker that will get us goals next season, and obviously we protect our investment in him.

However, he is still far from the finished article and with no guarantees he will repeat the same numbers next year, £1.25m seems an awful lot of money, even if it is only £750k up front. It would keep the wolf from the door for another season.

But with Spittal already away, the chance that Miller could also be off it kinda feels that losing him as well would pretty much be a whole new squad next season.

Thats a big ask of the manager and the recruitment team.

He seems like a good guy to have around and clearly has a relationship with the manager, so who knows?

Be nice to get some good PCAs in early once the season has ended to calm everything down!

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Bair is a tricky one.

Id rather he signed an extension/improved deal so that we are not scrambling around for another striker that will get us goals next season, and obviously we protect our investment in him.

However, he is still far from the finished article and with no guarantees he will repeat the same numbers next year, £1.25m seems an awful lot of money, even if it is only £750k up front. It would keep the wolf from the door for another season.

But with Spittal already away, the chance that Miller could also be off it kinda feels that losing him as well would pretty much be a whole new squad next season.

Thats a big ask of the manager and the recruitment team.

He seems like a good guy to have around and clearly has a relationship with the manager, so who knows?

Be nice to get some good PCAs in early once the season has ended to calm everything down!

I'd rather keep Bair tbh. Even if it's only till January. 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

I'd rather keep Bair tbh. Even if it's only till January. 

He will be harder to replace in January.

If we cant get him to sign an extension we need to take the money.

We cant let him go for nothing.

If hr signs a new deal, brilliant. Id be just as happy.

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He will be harder to replace in January.

If we cant get him to sign an extension we need to take the money.

We cant let him go for nothing.

If hr signs a new deal, brilliant. Id be just as happy.

I get your point but I really don't want him to go. I don't think 750k is enough. Maybe he could just play shite for the next few games and no one will want him 🤣

23 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I get your point but I really don't want him to go. I don't think 750k is enough. Maybe he could just play shite for the next few games and no one will want him 🤣

Hope he scores 5 in the next 2 games and the fee goes up to £2.5m! 

Seriously, more than happy for him to stay but it can only be on extended terms. He likes the manager and the manager has got the best out of him so if he is earning more and consolidating his position next season and continuing to develop he could go for even more money next year.

Bottom line is it will be down to Theo and his agent as to where they see his future......

If we have an offer in/around £1M then we should take it.   I can see many championship level clubs being interested and think it's good money for someone we pulled in for free. 

Also helps attract other players to join us.  The club and mgr are doing a great job at getting. XX% more out of players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

What was the story with Callan Elliot? Did he ever make the bench? That other player we had as well that got sent back home for "sinister" reasons too? What was the point of these signings?

I don't know for sure, but suspect he was brought in on a low cost "trial" basis if you like. A project. I doubt he was brought in as cover. 

• Like 1

I hope Bair signs an extension  but we can't afford to let him leave for nothing when his deal expires. Our record for picking up decent strikers is exceptionally good. Dixie Deans, Joe Mcbride, Willie Pettigrew, Louis Moult, Chris Porter, Scott MacDonald, Dougie Arnott, Michael Higdon, Kevin Van Veen et al. He can be replaced. 

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I hope Bair signs an extension  but we can't afford to let him leave for nothing when his deal expires. Our record for picking up decent strikers is exceptionally good. Dixie Deans, Joe Mcbride, Willie Pettigrew, Louis Moult, Chris Porter, Scott MacDonald, Dougie Arnott, Michael Higdon, Kevin Van Veen et al. He can be replaced. 

We can. If we can let Spittal go for nothing and Kelly go for nothing we can let Bair go for nothing. I absolutely agree with the fact that we will probably need to sell him but if we can let other players go for nothing at the end of their contract then why can't we keep Bair? Or at least hold out for a much better offer. 1.5 min before add ons in my view. 

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We can. If we can let Spittal go for nothing and Kelly go for nothing we can let Bair go for nothing. I absolutely agree with the fact that we will probably need to sell him but if we can let other players go for nothing at the end of their contract then why can't we keep Bair? Or at least hold out for a much better offer. 1.5 min before add ons in my view. 

Holding out for a better offer works if Bair maintains, or improves, his form. If he doesn't, which is entirely possible, and we've failed to cash in, it's a double whammy. Holding on to him till January might seem like an ok compromise, but as someone else said, finding a half decent, fit replacement during that window will be virtually impossible. Our decision may depend on what Theo Bair wants to do, I suppose.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Holding out for a better offer works if Bair maintains, or improves, his form. If he doesn't, which is entirely possible, and we've failed to cash in, it's a double whammy. Holding on to him till January might seem like an ok compromise, but as someone else said, finding a half decent, fit replacement during that window will be virtually impossible. Our decision may depend on what Theo Bair wants to do, I suppose.

We don't know if he's going to improve or not as you say . I would suspect on current form that he probably would. 

If we get a decent offer, such as the ones being mentioned, and he's open to moving, then it's pretty much a done deal. We're in the business of selling players for profit. 

It's then on the club to find the next guy we can utilise for a season or so and move on.

17 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We don't know if he's going to improve or not as you say . I would suspect on current form that he probably would. 

I hope he does.

I think there are key differences between the players you mentioned. Kelly and Spittal were both in the final year of their contracts - Kelly's dip in form was unlikely to see anyone make an offer for him, while Spittal's improvement was guaranteed to attract bigger fish and provide the player with an opportunity he was unlikely to ignore. By the time he became a financial asset/must keep, it was already too late.

Bair's form in the first year of his deal potentially allows the club to make decent money from selling him - I doubt they'll take a gamble.

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I hope he does.

I think there are key differences between the players you mentioned. Kelly and Spittal were both in the final year of their contracts - Kelly's dip in form was unlikely to see anyone make an offer for him, while Spittal's improvement was guaranteed to attract bigger fish and provide the player with an opportunity he was unlikely to ignore.

Bair's form in the first year of his deal potentially allows the club to make decent money from selling him - I doubt they'll take a gamble.

Like other people have said we don't cash in on goalkeepers as a rule anyway. I just think it's a shame in a way - maybe because I think we might get sold short because we are Motherwell if that makes sense. On the one hand it's great that other clubs recognise the talent we have. I just think too many other clubs think they can get our players on the cheap. Just need to wait and see how it all pans out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

Like other people have said we don't cash in on goalkeepers as a rule anyway. I just think it's a shame in a way - maybe because I think we might get sold short because we are Motherwell if that makes sense. On the one hand it's great that other clubs recognise the talent we have. I just think too many other clubs think they can get our players on the cheap. Just need to wait and see how it all pans out. 

Yeah, I think you're right, we'll probably be sold short because we're Motherwell. Unfortunarely, it's just the way it will always be. Clubs understand we have to sell our best players and know we can be forced to accept less than a bigger club could hold out for. It would take the emergence of a very, very special talent to change that and even then, they wouldn't be around here long enough to be seen as anything other than a prospect, which would impact their price.

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

I just think it's a shame in a way - maybe because I think we might get sold short because we are Motherwell if that makes sense.

It's mainly because bigger clubs see a player do well with us, but there's always that doubt they can make the step up. There's a whole bunch of factors that go into it I think.

27 minutes ago, David said:

It's mainly because bigger clubs see a player do well with us, but there's always that doubt they can make the step up. There's a whole bunch of factors that go into it I think.

And the fact that we cant say no really because we aren't a wealthy club. I do think we do sell ourselves short at times though because we have had players who have made that step up and maybe at some point we can hold out for more money for our best players.