2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Casey is a bombscare. Not suggesting any of other defenders are fantastic, but he's no better than them...

Casey has been decent since he came back from his injury. McGinn is finished, too many errors and can't compete physically.

The top priority has to be get to someone to play in the middle of the three.

4 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Why on earth are we giving Slattery another deal he's been inured for 6 months.

Because clearly he's on the road to recovery and the club probably want to do the decent thing by him. Anyway - it's all rumour at this stage because the official list isn't out yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheoBair14 said:

I don't think that would be a pre contract given that his contract with us is up at the end of May. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

The Players to their friends…….both want to stay but would prefer 2 year deals

If they were accepting of reduced terms and would sign a two year deal now, I’d take it. Two experienced pros like that in the squad for the next two years is a good move

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

McGinn is finished, too many errors and can't compete physically.

The top priority has to be get to someone to play in the middle of the three.

I don't know about being finished but I see where you're coming from. He's been very solid; a steadying influence if you like, but his form has tailed off.  He'll also be a year older and slower next season. I know its a rumour, but a 12 month deal wouldn't be unreasonable for him OR preferably SOD, but not both. .

Given our defensive record over the past year, tinkering with the defence will do no good. It needs a complete overhaul.

41 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know about being finished but I see where you're coming from. He's been very solid; a steadying influence if you like, but his form has tailed off.  He'll also be a year older and slower rext season. I know its a rumour, but a 12 month deal wouldn't be unreasonable for him OR preferably SOD, but not both. .

Given our defensive record on the past year, tinkering with the defence will do no good. It needs a complete overhaul.

What’s a year older got anything to do with it?He is hardly passed it at his age and majority of players keep themselves pretty fit.

This age thing with footballers is ridiculous it’s ability and McGinn has more than enough to get a game in the Spl for us.

1 minute ago, Spit_It_Out said:

This age thing with footballers is ridiculous it’s ability and McGinn has more than enough to get a game in the Spl for us.

He was a major part of a defence which kept 3 clean sheets in 41 games. He's not good enough and we need the wages for new players.

Age is undefeated. If it wasn't Tommy Coyne and Faddy would still be playing for us.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

What’s a year older got anything to do with it?He is hardly passed it at his age and majority of players keep themselves pretty fit.

Kettlewell also rates him highly so I don't see him going anywhere unless he turns the offered terms down. 

Kelly drawing interest from both Celtic and Rangers, then?

You have to wonder why either of them hasn't chosen the "just as good but half the wages" option that certain people on here have been talking about.

Guess that means we can jump in now and grab that guy though, whoever he is.

11 minutes ago, David said:

You have to wonder why either of them hasn't chosen the "just as good but half the wages" option that certain people on here have been talking about.

3 clean sheets in 38 games. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

I assume though that Kelly will be going there as back up. And even if Motherwell did want him to stay and offered him new terms we can't compete with their wages. I actually don't think he's a bad keeper. He's just lost confidence this season like a lot of players did. 

14 minutes ago, wellfan said:

3 clean sheets in 38 games. 

None of that to do with the defence in front of him, then? I mean, we all know Kelly was a very good keeper at points for us. Are we thinking he's suddenly "shite"? Or, as is most likely the case, he's been playing with a sub-standard defence?

I remember certain individuals on this forum claiming that Kelly would be lucky to get an offer from another Premier League club. 

Looks like he's been in the thoughts of two fairly prominent ones. Despite "3 clean sheets in 38 games."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

None of that to do with the defence in front of him, then? I mean, we all know Kelly was a very good keeper at points for us. Are we thinking he's suddenly "shite"? Or, as is most likely the case, he's been playing with a sub-standard defence?

I remember certain individuals on this forum claiming that Kelly would be lucky to get an offer from another Premier League club. 

Looks like he's been in the thoughts of two fairly prominent ones. Despite "3 clean sheets in 38 games."

I also personally think that clean sheets don't matter that much. Livi Ross County and St Johnstone had more clean sheets than us but we finished higher. 

And Kelly was outstanding for us in a couple of big games. When we beat Rangers and the draw at Parkhead. His clean sheet stats were much better for us in previous seasons. So clearly the dip in form for the defence must have contributed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I agree. Id be happy to keep both SOD and McGinn. Bevis is the one I think needs to go. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

It's unquestioned that the defence has been shit this season and that Kelly has had great spells for us over his several seasons. However, it's complete denial to suggest that he's not been poor at times and that he's not had a part to play in only keeping three clean sheets this season. I don't care who he gets offers from or how much he's paid; all I am saying is that his record this season is shit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wellfan said:

It's unquestioned that the defence has been shit this season and that Kelly has had great spells for us over his several seasons. However, it's complete denial to suggest that he's not been poor at times and that he's not had a part to play in only keeping three clean sheets this season. I don't care who he gets offers from or how much he's paid; all I am saying is that his record this season is shit.

Who's saying that he's not been poor? He's been part of a poor defence, but you could honestly have stuck Walter Zenga in goal for us this season and he'd have found it tough. What I'm saying is that he'll likely fare better in a better team, and that you don't get interest from Celtic or Rangers, never mind both of them, if you're "the worst keeper in the league" as some have claimed.

33 minutes ago, David said:

He’s been an absolute disaster this past season. Statistically speaking he’s one of the worst goalkeepers in the league. I don’t think his form ever recovered from that Raith Rovers cup game.  

Flip side to your point is that he’s not given the defenders in front of him any confidence. His complete inability to command his box and deal with crosses into the box has caused us all sorts of problems this season, Sunday being prime example. 

11 minutes ago, David said:

Who's saying that he's not been poor? He's been part of a poor defence, but you could honestly have stuck Walter Zenga in goal for us this season and he'd have found it tough. What I'm saying is that he'll likely fare better in a better team, and that you don't get interest from Celtic or Rangers, never mind both of them, if you're "the worst keeper in the league" as some have claimed.

I think he will fare better with a better defence in front of him 

1 minute ago, Mootherwell86 said:

He’s been an absolute disaster this past season. Statistically speaking he’s one of the worst goalkeepers in the league. I don’t think his form ever recovered from that Raith Rovers cup game.  

Flip side to your point is that he’s not given the defenders in front of him any confidence. His complete inability to command his box and deal with crosses into the box has caused us all sorts of problems this season, Sunday being prime example. 

I get this point too. But if our defence was better a lot of the goals against us wouldn't have been a consideration. If we have a bombscare defence it's not all on Kelly 

4 minutes ago, Mootherwell86 said:

Then why are Celtic and Rangers wasting their time on him? If he's terrible?