2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

7 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Aberdeen want 8 mil for miovski

He scored 15 last season and also top scorer this season but  no where near that tally season's before. Not even double figures. Must keep Bair. 

I want a unicorn for my birthday.

If Bair doesn't sign an extension, he goes, before or during next season. 

8 hours ago, David said:

It should be pointed out that there's a huge difference between us signing a player, fans looking at his previous record and discussing how he's performed up until that point, how we think he'll do for us and so on, and actually booing him at a game. 

The former is a large part of what being a fan of any club is all about. Chatting about speculation, looking at previous stats and so on and discussing how he's done until then and guessing how he'll fit into our squad and setup.

If we all stop doing that and only discuss players once they've signed and only strictly discuss how they do for us, and even then only how they do for us after an agreed-upon period of time to allow them to settle in, we'd be as well binning this forum and others like it.

It's like the investment thread and the individuals who keep saying, "Let's wait until something is concrete before discussing it."

What's the fun in that? If you don't want to discuss it, then don't log in. Go and wait in the corner for official confirmation before weighing in. Leave the rest of us to pass the time discussing signings, speculating about new owners, and generally talking shite. It's what fans have done since the game originated. Previously, it was only done in pubs and workplaces; now, it's done online as well.

It's all part of the fun of being a fan. 

Thanks for letting us all know 😉

Bit harsh but fair enough 

8 hours ago, David said:

It should be pointed out that there's a huge difference between us signing a player, fans looking at his previous record and discussing how he's performed up until that point, how we think he'll do for us and so on, and actually booing him at a game. 

The former is a large part of what being a fan of any club is all about. Chatting about speculation, looking at previous stats and so on and discussing how he's done until then and guessing how he'll fit into our squad and setup.

If we all stop doing that and only discuss players once they've signed and only strictly discuss how they do for us, and even then only how they do for us after an agreed-upon period of time to allow them to settle in, we'd be as well binning this forum and others like it.

It's like the investment thread and the individuals who keep saying, "Let's wait until something is concrete before discussing it."

What's the fun in that? If you don't want to discuss it, then don't log in. Go and wait in the corner for official confirmation before weighing in. Leave the rest of us to pass the time discussing signings, speculating about new owners, and generally talking shite. It's what fans have done since the game originated. Previously, it was only done in pubs and workplaces; now, it's done online as well.

It's all part of the fun of being a fan.  

Surely its acceptable to post that although a players record at his previous club is poor, you are happy to see what the manager can do with him and judge him then.

Or opine that without the full information regarding investment you dont have a position one way or the other?

These are both opinions.

Not everything is black and white.

2 hours ago, robsterwood said:

He scored 15 last season and also top scorer this season but  no where near that tally season's before. Not even double figures. Must keep Bair. 

Aberdeen won't get 8 mil for miovski. 750k is a big amount of money for a club with us maybe with a few more goals to end the season we can get closer to 1 mil but the club aren't going to reject that could sign 4-5 good players with that rather than keep 1.

2 hours ago, robsterwood said:

They won't get it.

In fairness though, the very fact that he plays for Aberdeen, and before he even kicked a ball, automatically means he's a very good player. That's worth £1-2m alone. 

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

They won't get it.

In fairness though, the very fact that he plays for Aberdeen, and before he even kicked a ball, automatically means he's a very good player. That's worth £1-2m alone. 

He's also more of an established international than Bair and has scored 24 goals this season, including four in Europe. He's not worth £8million but he's probably getting on for being in the region of £3 - £4million as an overall package, maybe not in straight up fees.

To get back to us looking at signings, I worked in Accrington for just shy of 3 years and keep tabs on them as a club, as a few colleagues were fans and I went along to some games.

They've got a winger there called Jack Nolan who I (think) is out of contract in the summer. He's scored 15 goals this year and could be in our price bracket.

I guess it depends on other interest and what system Kettlewell wants to play next year.

57 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

They won't get it.

I agree they won't get it. Also that if old firm sign players they are deemed automatically higher value.

1 hour ago, wellfan97 said:

Aberdeen won't get 8 mil for miovski. 750k is a big amount of money for a club with us maybe with a few more goals to end the season we can get closer to 1 mil but the club aren't going to reject that could sign 4-5 good players with that rather than keep 1.

Still think Bairs worth more keeping him even if it ends up a January deal. He's got pace and composure and is intelligent player. We wouldn't get 4 or 5 players. More like 3. But even then it may be guys like Wilkinson and Ollie Shaw.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

I agree they won't get it. Also that if old firm sign players they are deemed automatically higher value.

Every time a Sellik player plays one game he is automatically valued at £20 million!! 😜😜😜

Rangers were asking around £20M for Morelos but the closest -rumoured- offer was around £10M which they and their fans thought derogatory, I wonder how many now think they should have taken the deal. 

On another note a bogeyman I know says Aberdeen have a deal to sell Miovski for £4M and Burrows has done a deal with McMahon to buy Bair for a fiver. 

23 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

On another note a bogeyman I know says Aberdeen have a deal to sell Miovski for £4M and Burrows has done a deal with McMahon to buy Bair for a fiver. 

Where are we getting the £4million from?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Surely its acceptable to post that although a players record at his previous club is poor, you are happy to see what the manager can do with him and judge him then.

Or opine that without the full information regarding investment you dont have a position one way or the other?

These are both opinions.

Not everything is black and white.

Of course it's acceptable to have those opinions.

The difference is, it's usually the people who want to wait to see what a manager can do or who want to wait for full information on investment who are the ones telling others to basically shut up. 

There's room for all types of opinions. That's the whole point of this website. We're fans. If we only ever discussed facts or waited until October or November to critique a player then this place would be a ghost town most of the time.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Of course it's acceptable to have those opinions.

The difference is, it's usually the people who want to wait to see what a manager can do or who want to wait for full information on investment who are the ones telling others to basically shut up. 

There's room for all types of opinions. That's the whole point of this website. We're fans. If we only ever discussed facts or waited until October or November to critique a player then this place would be a ghost town most of the time.

Personally  I feel quite sorry for Theo because I think the criticism he was getting all over social media was a bit over the top - and at some point I think you get to a point where you wonder if it's going to have a negative effect. 

For me anyway this season all over social media I've seen players and Kettlewell slaughtered really badly. More than I can remember. 

25 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Personally  I feel quite sorry for Theo because I think the criticism he was getting all over social media was a bit over the top - and at some point I think you get to a point where you wonder if it's going to have a negative effect. 

For me anyway this season all over social media I've seen players and Kettlewell slaughtered really badly. More than I can remember. 

It really comes down to the criticism and how it's delivered. I doubt that Bair would have any issue with anyone calling into question his record before he arrived at Motherwell or people questioning our signing him based on that record. 

If we're honest, it was absolutely honking. He'll likely be the first to admit that. He's not an idiot. He'll know his record wasn't great.

Another key aspect is being critical of the player's performance and his record without getting personal. 

But those same fans who were critical of him are now giving him his due credit, so it works both ways, doesn't it? 

Social media is a cesspool anyway, and any player who reacts to that really needs to sort themselves out. 

Once we step into the stadium, all that criticism should go out the window. It's at that point we support the team and the manager. I don't think booing or hurling abuse from the stands is acceptable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wellfan said:

Nicholson hasn’t exactly impressed during his time with us, and I think his contract situation in the States is a little complex, so who knows where that leaves him. He signed a 2.5 year deal until winter 2024 with Colorado Rapids, although he was waived in January which allowed him to sign a short-term deal with us. I'd probably rather have Easton in the Spittal position than Nicholson. 

SN has had limited game time , any time I've seen him, he's looked decent 

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Where are we getting the £4million from?

The bogeyman says it’s from a Nigerian prince, all we have to do is give him all our bank details and he will transfer the money - think he’s worked with Accies before. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I want a unicorn for my birthday.

If Bair doesn't sign an extension, he goes, before or during next season. 

He owes us for giving him the chance when others, including most on here were very adamant that he was total shite. Let go by St Johnstone doesn't look good on any strikers CV . Scoring only 1 goal, i think, last season not many would have given him that chance. I feel he will have this in mind when making any decision. Manager was absolutley right about him. Sell or keep him its up to SK.

33 minutes ago, stv said:

He owes us for giving him the chance when others, including most on here were very adamant that he was total shite. Let go by St Johnstone doesn't look good on any strikers CV . Scoring only 1 goal, i think, last season not many would have given him that chance. I feel he will have this in mind when making any decision. Manager was absolutley right about him. Sell or keep him its up to SK.

It would be nice to think Bair acknowledges we've kick started his career and he'll sign an extension, if only to up any transfer fee a wee bit. But his goals have helped keep us up in a season where it looked like we were in big trouble, so maybe he feels we're about even. Who knows?

It's pretty certain Kettlewell will want want to keep Bair, but if an offer comes in and the board feel it's good enough, it won't be his decision.

15 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

It would be nice to think Bair acknowledges we've kick started his career and he'll sign an extension, if only to up any transfer fee a wee bit. But his goals have helped keep us up in a season where it looked like we were in big trouble, so maybe he feels we're about even. Who knows?

It's pretty certain Kettlewell will want want to keep Bair, but if an offer comes in and the board feel it's good enough, it won't be his decision.

Yeah. He's been an asset 

1 hour ago, stv said:

he doesn't owe us anything, we may think he does but the reality is he looks after himself and no one else. Guys like Turnbull and Lennon are the exception to the rule and they tried to look after themselves and the club.

• Like 1