2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Regarding Halliday I’ve mixed feelings. I agree that his pace ain’t great but he does have good awareness, takes up good positions and is constantly talking and pointing things to other players trying to encourage them on and showing them options they might not have seen. Maybe not a stick on starter every week but if we’re set up for others to cover his lack of pace then I think he could be a worthwhile addition to help others manage the game on the park. 

Agree, and I'm withholding judgement on him until he's had full dose of   pre-season training: I don't think he featured much for Hearts in the first half of the season. If his legs haven't gone (or any other part of him) he could be useful and SK has already  mentioned  his "old head' organising on the pitch.

And if he returns to form I can always criticise those scattergun tatts of his.

Every silver lining has a cloud.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Being honest playing in a team with far better defenders and midfield than we currently have, Kelly would be a much better keeper. He would not be so exposed as he is at Fir Park. Would be surprised if Celtic signed him as their first choice keeper though.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Being honest playing in a team with far better defenders and midfield than we currently have, Kelly would be a much better keeper. He would not be so exposed as he is at Fir Park. Would be surprised if Celtic signed him as their first choice keeper though.

A tabloid rumour of courre and that comes with its own health warning. He'd be ok as a back up  playing the very rare game and on a low wage. Stick two decent wing backs out wide, some huge central defenders, and a midfield screen in front of him and he'll be fine.

35 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A tabloid rumour of courre and that comes with its own health warning. He'd be ok as a back playing the very rare game and on a low wage. Stick two decent wing backs out wide, some huge central defenders, and a midfield screen in front of him and he'll be fine.

Aye, agreed. Apparently Celtic are struggling to meet their home grown/Scottish quota next season, so I guess he'd make sense to have in their squad.

Kelly's a very good keeper that, like a number of our players, hasn't played his best over the course of the season.

There's no doubt Joe Hart is a very good keeper too, but he has made some absolute howlers over his career, including some famous ones when playing for England. That's all part and parcel of being a keeper - your mistakes are amplified.

We tend to forget when you watch a Motherwell player for 90 minutes every week over the course of a campaign you see more mistakes than when you watch an opposition player on Sportscene highlights every week. That doesn't make them a bad player.

As a fanbase we seem to talk down our players more than other teams, and get more upset than others when they are selected for international squads.

3 hours ago, Wee Dougie said:

David, I think using the terms, Prick and Knob in your replies, shows poor debating skills

This isn't a debate. It's you being told that you can post whatever opinions you like, just like everyone else, but if you keep using the tone and patter you've been using in the past you'll end up running into problems. You've already had a warning previously. Screw the nut and be respectful when posting your opinions, simple as that.

6 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Agree, and I'm withholding judgement on him until he's had full dose of   pre-season training: I don't think he featured much for Hearts in the first half of the season. If his legs haven't gone (or any other part of him) he could be useful and SK has already  mentioned  his "old head' organising on the pitch.

And if he returns to form I can always criticise those scattergun tatts of his.

Every silver lining has a cloud.

I think Halliday is a great player for us to have. He has composure, can actually pass/comtrol a ball and has good vision. Add that to his experience and his tendency to talk to and organize others, I can live with him being a bit on the slow side. He may not be able to last a full 90 mins but if he can produce a good 60 mins in a game it will help us tremendously. He has many more positive attributes than negative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, agreed. Apparently Celtic are struggling to meet their home grown/Scottish quota next season, so I guess he'd make sense to have in their squad.

I mean, is he any worse than Bain? He's been Celtic's backup for quite some time now. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Kelly's a very good keeper that, like a number of our players, hasn't played his best over the course of the season.

There's no doubt Joe Hart is a very good keeper too, but he has made some absolute howlers over his career, including some famous ones when playing for England. That's all part and parcel of being a keeper - your mistakes are amplified.

We tend to forget when you watch a Motherwell player for 90 minutes every week over the course of a campaign you see more mistakes than when you watch an opposition player on Sportscene highlights every week. That doesn't make them a bad player.

As a fanbase we seem to talk down our players more than other teams, and get more upset than others when they are selected for international squads.

There was a discussion on pie and bov the other day about Kelly having lost the goodwill of the support and that he would be best leaving - I find that baffling tbh. Not least because thousands of supporters don't post on forums and we all don't think the same way. 

Same with "everyone thought Bair was rotten". 

2 hours ago, David said:

I mean, is he any worse than Bain? He's been Celtic's backup for quite some time now. 

I would take Kelly ahead of Bain.  No way would Kelly be their first choice but would be getting big increase in wages which would set him up for life. But again just paper talk so see what happens 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I would take Kelly ahead of Bain.  No way would Kelly be their first choice but would be getting big increase in wages which would set him up for life. But again just paper talk so see what happens 

He wouldn't. But he might prefer to get regular first team football rather than be second choice 

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

He wouldn't. But he might prefer to get regular first team football rather than be second choice 

The eternal problem for a goalkeeper, playing regularly or more cash?

The thing is, the mindset of a professional player is never that they're not good enough to be 1st choice.

Kelly will go there with the belief that while signed as second choice, he has what it takes to be first choice. I'm not saying that will happen, but he'll likely not have the mentality of "go there, sit about and make some cash."

3 hours ago, wellgirl said:

He might not have many more transfers in his career, so if Celtic do sign him maybe a 2 or 3 year deal on probably double the wage he's getting now he'll jump at it, it's a no brainer even if he was 2nd choice.

14 hours ago, Wee Dougie said:

David, I think using the terms, Prick and Knob in your replies, shows poor debating skills, as I said its only my opinion, but to lower yourself to such petty comments, tut, tut. The manager will decide who we sign and no matter my opinion or yours they will get my support, unlike others on here!!!!. 

Nope, it's ma baw, and you're banned.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

He might not have many more transfers in his career, so if Celtic do sign him maybe a 2 or 3 year deal on probably double the wage he's getting now he'll jump at it, it's a no brainer even if he was 2nd choice.

According to the Scottish Sun Celtic won't be pursuing Kelly and they think it's more likely he'll return to England. 

Encouragingly both SK and SF have said in recent days that they want to get transfer business done sooner this year and go into pre season with a more settled squad. That makes perfect sense but may be easier said than done, given the scale of the task. Certainly they've had much more time this year to plan for the rotating door ahead this summer. If rumours are to be believed we've signed a few on PCAs. 

Its never ideal going into league cup games, even against lesser opposition, with incomplete or half baked squads. 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Encouragingly both SK and SF have said in recent days that they want to get transfer business done sooner this year and go into pre season with a more settled squad. 

The first four signings last season were Obika, Paton, Wilkinson and Soaure.

It doesn't matter if we get them early if they are substandard. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

The first four signings last season were Obika, Paton, Wilkinson and Soaure.

It doesn't matter if we get them early if they are substandard. 

Paton has been fine and Wilkinson could have been better if played in position.  The other 2 I agree 100%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Paton has been fine and Wilkinson could have been better if played in position.  The other 2 I agree 100%

Wilkinson moved on because he admitted himself he wasn't suited to the pace of the game in our league. Credit to the guy for being honest but he was a poor signing, it was clear watching him and Obika against Queen's Park that they wouldn't have anything to offer in the league. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Wilkinson moved on because he admitted himself he wasn't suited to the pace of the game in our league. Credit to the guy for being honest but he was a poor signing, it was clear watching him and Obika against Queen's Park that they wouldn't have anything to offer in the league. 

I think Wilkinson had a bit more about him than Obika but agreed, his game just wasn't suited to up here. He got into decent positions but was never going to do it often enough as he was half a yard off it a fair bit.