Motherwell v Celtic 25/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

40 minutes ago, santheman said:

My attitude is they're just another team in the same league as us.

It doesnt bother me any more having a poor record against either of the OF than it does any other team.

I really don't care how long it's been since we beat them, I only care about the next game.

Well said 👏 

1 hour ago, David said:

Instead of "I agree with MJC..."? 

Yeah, probably.

I do agree that in the past certain managers and squads have pandered to the media narrative that Celtic and Rangers are too strong and its almost impossible for diddy teams to challenge them.

Of course some managers will also say that in public and say something totally different to their squad in private.

My point really was, that there is no point challenging our managers and players to have a more positive mindset if we as fans have us beat before a ball is kicked.

I always look at games against the Ugly Sisters to be a free hit. It's what we do to the teams around us that are important to us right now. I have seen us beat them on quite a few occasions when they were at there best and we were poor, so with the usual blind optimism I'm looking forward to Sunday, whatever the result you'll not find me on here gloating about how many results in a row I predicted. So let's get into them from the start. COYW!!!!!. 

• Thanks 1

As pessimistic as I am about Sunday and any game against the Old Firm nowadays, I desperately hope that we can defy the odds and finally get a win against them. It would be especially satisfying to finally get a win against Celtic and that sanctimonious shark faced prick Rodgers and hopefully drive another nail into their title challenge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

The top-heavy weighting of the 1st and 2nd prize money was created to ensure the OF received the most cash the majority of the seasons.

Good post. When Sevco when in the lower leagues, an issue in itself, there was a vote to change the distribution of prize money  but one club, which expected to finish 2nd, voted against change. In the event they were pipped to the runners up spot with seconds of the season to go. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, MJC said:

As pessimistic as I am about Sunday and any game against the Old Firm nowadays, I desperately hope that we can defy the odds and finally get a win against them. It would be especially satisfying to finally get a win against Celtic and that sanctimonious shark faced prick Rodgers and hopefully drive another nail into their title challenge. 

Can you please make your mind up, on page 1,you're prediction is 3-1 defeat, now you're desperately hoping for a home win. You'd make a good politician!!!!!!. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

No doubt we will lose by 2 or 3 because I am a jinx , hopefully though we get at least a draw or a win

I totally understand other Well fans saying it is just another 3 points which of course it is

I just love to see us take points off either those teams , not just for a bit of bragging rights but just as well for my whole entire lifetime supporting Well I have took more slagging off those two sets of fans than any other (big style) . I include family members and close friends in that and great to hear them silenced even for a day or two 

Perhaps a two-edged sword playing Celtic in their current dodgy form.  Fir Park is  a great place to come when you're on a poor run and if we lose one of our traditional, early goals from a stupid defensive mistake  it could be a long, painful and sickening  afternoon.

And yet, and yet, I'm not without the  hope that we could  upset them  IF  we could just score first and get in their faces (or the other way around). I know three Celtic fans who are pretty nervous about Sunday and I  wonder if they would turn against Mr Permatan  Smarm if we could get our noses in front.

Of course, the referee doesn't fill me with confidence and I'm sure VAR will make an unwanted intervention at a crucial moment if necessary but my imaginary friend Harvey says I'm going  onnyhoo so Tongs, Ya Bass!

I feel better now......😱

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I can't understand the obsession some people have about beating either of the ugly sisters, especially the blue half, we've beaten both of them in games that matter over the years , the 91 semi final, 2015 playoff final,  2017/18 league Cup, yes a league win is nice but its not as simple as that.

The uncomfortable truth whether people like it or not is that they are both much better teams than us (Rangers playoff final team excepted) so we don't have a god given right to expect to beat them every time we play them.

All these stats about other teams having better records than ours etc are irrelevant it's nothing to do with mental attitude either, every Motherwell player goes into every game hoping to win, but in the real world you get beaten by better teams, who cares if its 20 odd years since our last league win against the blue uglies I'd rather see us winning against the other 9 teams, to earn a Euro spot, a decent cup run, stay in the premiership etc, people need to chill out a bit.

I care. I find it utterly depressing that nearly every other club in the league has a better record against the OF than us. That's where we differ. I couldn't care less if Motherwell ever qualified for Europe ever again. Other than a junket and piss up they are an utter waste of time. If we don't utterly embarrass Scottish football (Flamaturi, MyPa47, Stjarnan and Sligo Rovers) we invariably play utter shite and are out before it even starts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Good post. When Sevco when in the lower leagues, an issue in itself, there was a vote to change the distribution of prize money  but one club, which expected to finish 2nd, voted against change. In the event they were pipped to the runners up spot with seconds of the season to go. 🤣

Reid 'em and weep.

46 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Perhaps a two-edged sword playing Celtic in their current dodgy form.  Fir Park is  a great place to come when you're on a poor run and if we lose one of our traditional, early goals from a stupid defensive mistake  it could be a long, painful and sickening  afternoon.

And yet, and yet, I'm not without the  hope that we could  upset them  IF  we could just score first and get in their faces (or the other way around). I know three Celtic fans who are pretty nervous about Sunday and I  wonder if they would turn against Mr Permatan  Smarm if we could get our noses in front.

Of course, the referee doesn't fill me with confidence and I'm sure VAR will make an unwanted intervention at a crucial moment if necessary but my imaginary friend Harvey says I'm going  onnyhoo so Tongs, Ya Bass!

I feel better now......😱

Keep up your meds pal :tease:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I care. I find it utterly depressing that nearly every other club in the league has a better record against the OF than us. That's where we differ. I couldn't care less if Motherwell ever qualified for Europe ever again. Other than a junket and piss up they are an utter waste of time. If we don't utterly embarrass Scottish football (Flamaturi, MyPa47, Stjarnan and Sligo Rovers) we invariably play utter shite and are out before it even starts.

So all you are interested in is beating the uglies, and the statement you make about "nearly every other club in the league having a better record against them than us" is just bullshit. But if that's your sole ambition as a Motherwell fan to beat the ugly sisters then who am I to argue, best of luck coping with being disappointed most years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wee Dougie said:

Can you please make your mind up, on page 1,you're prediction is 3-1 defeat, now you're desperately hoping for a home win. You'd make a good politician!!!!!!. 

There is a difference between what I think will happen and what I hope will happen. I always hope for a Motherwell win but given our dismal record in these fixtures then I can’t help but think that we will do nothing other than our usual and lose.

11 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So all you are interested in is beating the uglies, and the statement you make about "nearly every other club in the league having a better record against them than us" is just bullshit. But if that's your sole ambition as a Motherwell fan to beat the ugly sisters then who am I to argue, best of luck coping with being disappointed most years.

Selective reading and quoting at its finest. No one has said that “all they are interested in is beating the uglies” or that that’s anyone’s “sole ambition” to win games against either OF club. 

But you just go on making things up to suit your ‘agenda’ eh? And of course no doubt you’ll be getting strong powerful ‘vibes’ that Rangers are the “big team some people support” and all that regurgitated nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just as an aside on our recent terrible record vs the Old Firm (particularly Rangers).. A few of these teams who are of a similar size to ourselves but have a better record against the Old Firm have also suffered relegations in this period where we've been awful against the two headed monster. I'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming for both, but if it's staying up or a better record against them... I know which I prefer...

9 hours ago, MJC said:

There is a difference between what I think will happen and what I hope will happen. I always hope for a Motherwell win but given our dismal record in these fixtures then I can’t help but think that we will do nothing other than our usual and lose.

Selective reading and quoting at its finest. No one has said that “all they are interested in is beating the uglies” or that that’s anyone’s “sole ambition” to win games against either OF club. 

But you just go on making things up to suit your ‘agenda’ eh? And of course no doubt you’ll be getting strong powerful ‘vibes’ that Rangers are the “big team some people support” and all that regurgitated nonsense. :rolleyes:

I'm good at selective reading, i get lots of practice ignoring the dross you constantly spout but thanks for acknowledging it. 👍

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm good at selective reading, i get lots of practice ignoring the dross you constantly spout but thanks for acknowledging it. 👍

:lol:

You ignore it so well that you quote it. Looks like you need more practice. 

9 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Just as an aside on our recent terrible record vs the Old Firm (particularly Rangers).. A few of these teams who are of a similar size to ourselves but have a better record against the Old Firm have also suffered relegations in this period where we've been awful against the two headed monster. I'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming for both, but if it's staying up or a better record against them... I know which I prefer...

Yes and a few of them have also won silverware, three times in the last ten year in St.Johnstone’s case. I would certainly prefer that.

Kelly (wont be dropped)

McGinn Casey Blaney

Devine Miller Davor Spittal Gent

Vale   Bair

40 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

I Have no hope at all Id start

Oxborough

Mcginn Blaney Casey

Devine Miller Davor Gent

Spittal

Bair Obika (Purley because he can hold the ball up)

Obika in the team is like starting with 10 men, he offers nothing, Vale has a lot more pace than Obika so id keep him up front with Bair.

19 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Obika in the team is like starting with 10 men, he offers nothing, Vale has a lot more pace than Obika so id keep him up front with Bair.

I agree normally but against a team like Celtic who struggle aireally he could be very useful