Statement on VAR

wellfan

So, our goal was ruled out for deliberate handball! What a farcical decision. 

100% behind the club in writing to the SFA. Maxwell needs to remember he is a servant of the clubs  as he is a paid official. We'll await developments with bated breath. 

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

This is them covering the tracks of their mistake with a lesser mistake.

Nothing will improve until accountability and transparency are introduced. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

100% behind the club in writing to the SFA. Maxwell needs to remember he is a servant of the clubs  as he is a paid official. We'll await developments with bated breath. 

We will not even get the worthless apology is my guess. Wagons have been circled.

7 minutes ago, dennyc said:

We will not even get the worthless apology is my guess. Wagons have been circled.

I think there will come a point, be it this season or next if things don't change, where the 12 SPL clubs should circle their wagons around the SFA on the issue of VAR. 

Fan pressure on their own clubs will reach a boiling point soon enough to force the collective hand of the clubs to act in unity before fans walk away en masse. 

I think this hinges on when the explanation of deliberate handball was given to the club. If it was at the time or directly after the match, you're dealing with utter incompetence.

If it was at a later point, you're looking not only at utter imcompetence, but also the whiff of tracks being covered. The audio would prove that's not the case, obviously, so I'm sure there won't be a problem releasing it to the club if required.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not to mention all the clubs are having to pay directly for VAR too.

This is absolute rubbish, someone has reviewed this and came up with a statment like that. What should have come back is sorry we made a complete mess these decisions the refereeing team will be reviewed and sanctions placed on the VAR official who will have no more VAR duties until retraining has taken place all fees to be withheld

2 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

This is absolute rubbish, someone has reviewed this and came up with a statment like that. What should have come back is sorry we made a complete mess these decisions the refereeing team will be reviewed and sanctions placed on the VAR official who will have no more VAR duties until retraining has taken place all fees to be withheld

It wasn't just the VAR who made a mistake at our goal. The referee was called to the monitor by the VAR, and they agreed with the VAR following their review of the footage. 

More clubs need to call out this shite, that's the only way things will get changed. And up the ante as appropriate if they get the usual non response from the SFA, its blatant Incompetence and ignorance of the rules of the game from alleged class 1 referees.

it took 4 minutes to arrive at the decision , that is not the definition of clear and obvious error. That is a case of looking for the minutia of a goal before you find something you can chalk it off for. If a decision cannot be made in 60/90 seconds its not a clear and obvious error so the original decision should stand.

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I thought the ball came off the Aberdeen defender before it hit Theo’s hand??  His hand was in a natural position for jumping. The response/ decision is a complete farce!!!! 

Just watched it again and it didn’t hit Aberdeen player but there is still no way that was a deliberate hand ball. He’s jumping and there’s contact between the two players but Bair’s hand is in a natural  position for what he’s doing. Deliberate hand ball my fkn arse!!!  Ridiculous that multiple officials can call that deliberate hand ball. 

52 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

it took 4 minutes to arrive at the decision , that is not the definition of clear and obvious error. That is a case of looking for the minutia of a goal before you find something you can chalk it off for. If a decision cannot be made in 60/90 seconds its not a clear and obvious error so the original decision should stand.

At least we got that time added on at the end....oh wait.

Someone needs sacked for Saturdays shit show. If i made half as big a mess of my job as those clowns did i would be out the door, So why should they be any different

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wee Dougie said:

So there you have it, what a ridiculous explanation. Theo I'm going to take the corner, it may or may not come to you when I fire it in, but make sure you deliberately hand ball it to Lennon to score. SFA get to FFFFFFFFFFK 

:rtfm: And take VAR with you :fan:

8 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

At least we got that time added on at the end....oh wait.

Someone needs sacked for Saturdays shit show. If i made half as big a mess of my job as those clowns did i would be out the door, So why should they be any different

If I was as bad at my job as Collum is I'd just stop turning up. The guys become a parody unto himself he's so bad.

It's nice to see the club call it out, Kettlewell had mentioned on Saturday that he was fed up talking to Crawford Allan about the inconsistencies and he couldn't be bothered seeking a further explanation. What an absolute copout though ruling the goal out for being a deliberate handball. I'm surprised Obika's goal versus Celtic never fell foul to that when it brushed the shoulder and went in, ironically Steven McLean was the ref that day, just as well he wasn't brought to the monitor.

Sadly I think we are stuck with VAR, I've moaned about inconsistent decisions on other threads but even thinking back to when the cameras were turned off before a game was finished which missed key incidents, or the time they used a camera at the Cooper side for an offside call because the south end as the operator nipped away. I just can't see much improvement no matter how much they try to convince us.

Outwith Slattery's offside goal vs Hearts earlier in the season have there been any other decisions we have been given that have had us being thankful for VAR? 

The latest VAR controversy is only serving to highlight long standing problems with the SFA. Its up to the clubs themselves to sort this out. The SFA officials are servants of the clubs and should only be carrying our their wishes and administering, not managing, the game itself. I get the respect employees, including referees, bit and have no problem with that.  It should  be a bit like a local authority. The officials are there to carry out the will of the constituents through elected members.

There is a problem with VAR, but in my view its only about unnecessary lengthy delays and technical camera issues. I agree with those who say that if its not obvious within say 30 or 45 seconds then let the goal or whatever stand. What is the problem, is the standard of decision making, as someone on P & B said. Thats what the SFA needs to iron out but it has shown no desire or ability whatsoever to do so. I'm pretty sure that if they were to analyse the lead up to most goals, they would find some kind of technical infringement, especially at set pieces. The problem is that these incidents are being viewed inconsistently. The handball rule is a complete farce. 

The fans are the lifeblood of the game and football is an entertainment industry and so the SFA should remember that. In the case of our letter, and indeed any letter, the SFA should publicly acknowledge that its a genuine grievance; investigate it; take any appropriate action to raise refereeing standards; avoid future occurrences; and make their findings public.  Referees should be respected and protected but not at the complete expense of the game. In that respect, on the field dissent needs to be punished more severely but thats another issue.  All we're likely to hear from the clubs' servants is some kind of slap down for daring to criticise referees.

Regardless of the repsonse, its a good strong statement from the club putting our position and that of the fans on record.

If other clubs do likewise, the pressure on the SFA / SPFL will be ramped up.

They cant ignore it forever.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pretzel said:

It's nice to see the club call it out, Kettlewell had mentioned on Saturday that he was fed up talking to Crawford Allan about the inconsistencies and he couldn't be bothered seeking a further explanation. What an absolute copout though ruling the goal out for being a deliberate handball. I'm surprised Obika's goal versus Celtic never fell foul to that when it brushed the shoulder and went in, ironically Steven McLean was the ref that day, just as well he wasn't brought to the monitor.

Sadly I think we are stuck with VAR, I've moaned about inconsistent decisions on other threads but even thinking back to when the cameras were turned off before a game was finished which missed key incidents, or the time they used a camera at the Cooper side for an offside call because the south end as the operator nipped away. I just can't see much improvement no matter how much they try to convince us.

Outwith Slattery's offside goal vs Hearts earlier in the season have there been any other decisions we have been given that have had us being thankful for VAR? 

I remember KVV scoring the goal of his career vs hearts, Was from quite far out and he was running around celebrating for it to be disallowed because VAR declared that the tip of his knee cap was offside 😕

3 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

I remember KVV scoring the goal of his career vs hearts, Was from quite far out and he was running around celebrating for it to be disallowed because VAR declared that the tip of his knee cap was offside 😕

Yeah, that was the same game where Craig Gordon escaped a second yellow for bringing down Moult for a pen not to mention penalising Solholm for a last-minute handball with his arm by his side, but Sibbick got away with the same earlier. It's so frustrating, I made peace with our refs being pish but with VAR added to the mix I'm finding my love of football dwindling rapidly.