Motherwell v Hibernian 13/04/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Was talking to some Celtic supporters this week about Theo Bair and said he must be the biggest player in the league.

Well I wanted to know for sure....so I did the research.

Top Ten Units in the Scottish Premier League (height x weight, goalkeepers excluded).

1. Theo Bair (Motherwell)

2. Ricki Lamie (Dundee)

3. Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)

4. Michael Nottingham (Livingston)

5. Leo Balogun (Rangers)

6. Dante Polvara (Aberdeen)

7. James Scott (St Mirren)

8. Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell)

9. Charles Dunne (St Mirren)

10. Dan Casey (Motherwell)

A very onerous assignment you set yourself. Well done. Theo will certainly be in the mix. Some surprises though.

Joel Nouble? Liam Gordon? Stuart Findlay? Tete Yengi? Alex Lacovitti? I suppose we could all nominate a few candidates.

53 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Was talking to some Celtic supporters this week about Theo Bair and said he must be the biggest player in the league.

Well I wanted to know for sure....so I did the research.

Top Ten Units in the Scottish Premier League (height x weight, goalkeepers excluded).

7. James Scott (St Mirren)

I remember Robinson saying James Scott didn't make good use of his size when he was with us, and still seems to be the case these days. It was only when I saw him standing beside guys like McHugh, Aldred and Hartley I could see he was a unit.

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

To be honest not too sure about some of the figures stated for players but that's how it works out.

We all know wee Dougie used to add a few inches on to his height!

Bevis is about 4 inches taller than Dan. Casey isn't quite 6 foot tall but he's a unit.

Bair isn't hugely tall either. 

The list seems wrong without Idah, Goldson and Ash Taylor. 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

The list seems wrong without Idah, Goldson and Ash Taylor. 

You mean the Ash Taylor that left last season? Same goes for whoever mentioned Iacovitti.

42 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

You mean the Ash Taylor that left last season? Same goes for whoever mentioned Iacovitti.

Fair enough. I thought he was still at Killie when he was talking up Wilkinson last summer. 

Big Rocky from yesterday is another unit that should be on the list. KVV as well. 

14 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Lennon Miller wont be with us next season, firstly we cant afford to let his contract run down to the end of 2025. Hes not going to sign another extension. I get the impression the one he did sign was similar to Turnbull to ensure we got some money for our investment. Id expect the club to cash in in the summer.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/11/15/lennon-miller-signs-one-year-extension/

Apparently all the traffic , buses etc were at a standstill last night because of the bother in town. .how could anybody get worked up enough to fight after watching that poor excuse of a game... apologies for sounding like a daily mail reader ...just go home guys or to the pub, folk going about their business can't be arsed with it all

5 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Apparently all the traffic , buses etc were at a standstill last night because of the bother in town. .how could anybody get worked up enough to fight after watching that poor excuse of a game... apologies for sounding like a daily mail reader ...just go home guys or to the pub, folk going about their business can't be arsed with it all

I waited ages for a bus home - around 6pm and then one wouldn't stop at the bus stop when it passed - clearly that was why. 

34 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

It's 6 out of last 12 seasons we been top 6 . That includes a 2nd place finish.

You said the past 10 years, so that's the figure I quoted. 6 out of 12 is better - since the introduction of the split, it's something like 11 times out of 23 we've made it, so more or less a 50% success rate over the years. Prior to that, our league finishes would also be a very mixed bag.

It's perfectly reasonable to hope for top 6, to expect it is pushing things. If you based your expectations on our budget and attendances, we're definitely looking at bottom 6. 

I think when you take into consideration that Kettlewell was working with a much reduced playing budget and we were paying salaries to 2 managers (possibly 3 if you believe rumours) then to end the season relatively safe from relegation, looking like breaking even financially and seeing another academy product potentially earning us some good money and the prospect of some outside investment then I'm happy with that.

Things could have been a lot worse. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steelboy said:

People have been talking up O'Donnell. Against Livi he kicked it to no one and they broke and scored. At Ibrox he dived in and gave away a penalty. Versus St Mirren he was supposed to be marking Fraser who scored then today he kicks it to into the middle of the park to no one then 30 seconds later gives away a crazy penalty. 

He's probably a top earner as well. Get shot.

I might be wrong but I take it you aren't a fan of his? 😜

I don't think SOD is as bad as made out.   I am big Casey fan but he has been at fault for a few goals this season but that never gets mentioned by anyone.  Any time SOD makes a mistake it gets highlighted....yet hardly anyone will mention his assist for Bair in St Mirren game 

Most of the defensive mistakes I've seen this season have been in the middle. Casey, Blaney and Butcher have all been culpable with some horrendous lapses in concentration when marking or just giving the ball away.

There was a long stretch this season when all Casey did was run about and give away fouls in dangerous areas.

SOD has his faults too - every player does - but when he's on his game he can at least pick out a pass and a cross. I've given up now on seeing full backs that can defend well, because that requirement has been eliminated from the modern game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I've given up now on seeing full backs that can defend well, because that requirement has been eliminated from the modern game.

Gent and Spencer are better at every aspect of the game than SOD. 

2 clean sheets in the last 36 matches. McGinn, O'Donnell and Kelly are senior players and need to carry the can.

37 minutes ago, steelboy said:

2 clearlyan sheets in the last 36 matches. McGinn, O'Donnell and Kelly are senior players and need to carry the can.

And he's at it again, but added McGinn, yir correct of course, Gent and Spencer have never been responsible for the loss of any goals against. AYE RIGHT, gies peace. 

41 minutes ago, steelboy said:

2 clean sheets in the last 36 matches. McGinn, O'Donnell and Kelly are senior players and need to carry the can.

McGinn has had a very decent season in my view. I agree in the respect they the clean sheets are an issue.. But the goals scored has helped us. I think people should lay off SOD. He's an easy target and he gets grief other players don't get. 

Spencer isn't even our player anymore. 

On 4/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, stv said:

He wont give us much in case he gets injured for his new team. Why do you think hes been playing well for just the last few months ,like a lot of players up their game in last months of their last season . Once he's got his move signed up he's on holiday mode . Pre contracts are a shite idea , but they probably have always been there in the back ground in some form or another for years just no offically signed

That's harsh mate, I accept that Spittal hasn't been as influencial in the last two or three games but to suggest that it's because of his move isn't acceptable. He's still working as hard as ever and who was it that got his head in the way of a certain goal at the back post?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

That's harsh mate, I accept that Spittal hasn't been as influencial in the last two or three games but to suggest that it's because of his move isn't acceptable. He's still working as hard as ever and who was it that got his head in the way of a certain goal at the back post?

Agree 

46 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

His drop in form might be down, in part, to the formation SK is fielding. Move Vale up beside Bair and slip Spittal in behind them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

His drop in form might be down, in part, to the formation SK is fielding. Move Vale up beside Bair and slip Spittal in behind them. 

I personally don't think so. Obviously the speculation is going to affect him 

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Spot on Dave, Bair was very isolated on his own yesterday, we need two up front I'd have Davor, Spittal and Miller in behind them  with Gent and SOD as the two wingback as required.