Aberdeen v Motherwell 27/04/2024

SteelmaninOZ

Vale beside Bair please, not behind him. 

Not confident about this one as Aberdeen seem to know how to beat us this term, with us holding on for a draw after being 3 up last time out at Pittodrie. They may also have a new manager bounce, if there is such a thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not confident about this one as Aberdeen seem to know how to beat us this term, with us holding on for a draw after being 3 up last time out at Pittodrie. They may also have a new manager bounce, if there is such a thing.

The 2-4 defeat we were terrible but the other two games 3-3 and 0-1 we didn’t have much luck with the officiating calls. So I expect it to be close again and perhaps a wee bit of good luck for us  to see us getting 3 points. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

This all day long.

We need to ditch the weird formation and get our best players playing in their best positions.

Vale is great with his back to goal and holding the ball up and playing others in.

Bair is better running in behind.

Davor runs around and breaks shit up.

Miller and Spittal are both best at controlling the tempo and picking a pass.

Gent is great at beating his man and driving crosses across the 6 yard box.

Just do that.

And if the defence could maybe not chuck any in our own net that would be grand!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

This all day long.

We need to ditch the weird formation and get our best players playing in their best positions.

Vale is great with his back to goal and holding the ball up and playing others in.

Bair is better running in behind.

Davor runs around and breaks shit up.

Miller and Spittal are both best at controlling the tempo and picking a pass.

Gent is great at beating his man and driving crosses across the 6 yard box.

Just do that.

And if the defence could maybe not chuck any in our own net that would be grand!

your 'just do that' reminds me of the best tactics I ever know as a Well fan. 

Get the ball to Cooper 
Get the ball to Faddy 
Get the ball to Turnbull 

Just do that  - happy days.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

your 'just do that' reminds me of the best tactics I ever know as a Well fan. 

Get the ball to Cooper 
Get the ball to Faddy 
Get the ball to Turnbull 

Just do that  - happy days.

Sometimes its best not to over complicate things! 😆😆😆

• Haha 1

Just seen this quote from Richard Foster on the BBC website talking about us missing out on the top six and thought the bit about Aberdeen could come back to bite him on the arse next week. 

"When you're having to rely on other teams to do you a favour, it's never great. Especially when we were having to rely on Aberdeen to win at home. It's never going to help us.“

Can only repeat what everyone else has said.  Vale up top with Bair.  He is a striker so why is SK playing him deeper.  Gent fires in low crosses all the time but never any takers.  Or is it worth starting Moses in central role and give him say 55 mins?

• Like 1

Obviously we are not challenging for Europe but I’m having trouble finding out what spots are up for grabs. Is it 2 champions league, 1 Europa league and 2 conference league?   Or alternately, how many Scottish teams will qualify for European competitions? 

27 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Obviously we are not challenging for Europe but I’m having trouble finding out what spots are up for grabs. Is it 2 champions league, 1 Europa league and 2 conference league?   Or alternately, how many Scottish teams will qualify for European competitions? 

Something like : top 2 get champions league, cup winners get Europa, third and 4th place gets Conference league, if 1st-4th win the cup then 5th gets conference league. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Something like : top 2 get champions league, cup winners get Europa, third place gets Europa, 4th gets Conference league, if 1st-4th win the cup then 5th gets conference league. 

That's correct league winners go into CL group stage, 2nd get CL playoff round, and Guaranteed EL groups, 3rd get EL playoff round and confirmed ECL group stage unless Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup then 3rd and 4th get Conf league

And if either of uglies or Hearts win the Scottish cup then 4th and 5th get CL.

I think that's the arrangements 😁

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:36 AM, SteelmaninOZ said:

Looking forward to this one it will be interesting to see what team and tactics SK comes up with. 

Who cares? Albeit more money for club. Can't remember celebrating 7th place. Can't compete for Europe now so seasons over for me. Each to Thier own though. Don't like split format. 

25 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Who cares? Albeit more money for club. Can't remember celebrating 7th place. Can't compete for Europe now so seasons over for me. Each to Thier own though. Don't like split format. 

It's an important game. If we lose while Ross County win at Livi, the season's definitely not over.

7 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

It's an important game. If we lose while Ross County win at Livi, the season's definitely not over.

Mathematically Livi can’t catch us so really we want livi to win vs Ross County and we can relegate  them next week  

9 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

The most likely scenario I think Bobby. I also think St Johnstone will take a point from Hibs. No reason to panic though. At the end of the season I think we'll finish 9th, 3 points above the 11th placed team.  We can beat Livingston and draw in the last game, that should be be enough.  Our superior goal difference will be a valuable cushion too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

The most likely scenario I think Bobby. I also think St Johnstone will take a point from Hibs. No reason to panic though. At the end of the season I think we'll finish 9th, 3 points above the 11th placed team.  We can beat Livingston and draw in the last game, that should be be enough.  Our superior goal difference will be a valuable cushion too.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll be fine too. The chances of both County and St Johnstone suddenly hitting form at this late stage are slim, to say the very least. No need for us to make it more interesting than it should be, though. 

• Like 1