Aberdeen v Motherwell 27/04/2024

SteelmaninOZ

We've reached the point with bevis where it will benefit both parties if he moves on,he's never really improved while he's been here and been a bit of a liability the whole way through.we need as much funds freed up to bring some defenders in and bevis leaving would be a good start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Casey has been more of a defensive liability overall this season than Bevis.

I agree that Casey has had his moments but Bevis just gives the fear every time he is on the ball.  An absolute gem of a guy and always welcome at fir park but time to move on

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Me neither he can be really good but he's a potential bomb scare at times guaranteed at least one or two mistakes every game.

Brilliant at heading the ball away but you look through your fingers when it's at his feet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I agree that Casey has had his moments but Bevis just gives the fear every time he is on the ball.  An absolute gem of a guy and always welcome at fir park but time to move on

I don't care as much what a defender is like on the ball, I need them to be able to defend. That involves marking the right man, compressing space, covering team mates, attacking the ball etc.

I've lost count of the number of times this season that Casey has lost his man (or been nowhere near him) and been responsible for conceding a soft goal. He gets less stick from fans because he runs about a lot and makes faces, but his actual defending skills are pretty limited.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

And Casey gives me the fear any time the opposition swings in a cross because there's a fair chance he'll be out of position.

4 minutes ago, santheman said:

Brilliant at heading the ball away but you look through your fingers when it's at his feet.

Given how many teams we play against that launch balls into the box, it's not a bad talent to have. I've said it for years now, that as long as he just keeps his passes short and simple he's worth his place in the team based on his aerial presence.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wellfan said:

It baffles me that Kettlewell can't see what the fans see every week regarding Vale.

Kettlewell doesn't see what the fans see, and that's a good thing. Because, for the most part, the fans know hee-haw about managing a football team. 

There's a reason why he's being paid to sit in the dugout while we're paying to sit in the stands. 

I think we will struggle to replace Mugabi and if you look he's started in 6/8 of our wins plus the games we have defended well at Ibrox, Celtic Park and Easter Road.

I'm not going to miss reading the lazy stereotypes of "nice guy but has a mistake in him". SOD, McGinn and Casey all have far more mistakes this season. As for why he's so much nicer than Shane Blaney or Barry Maguire I'll leave that to the psychiatrists.....

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think we will struggle to replace Mugabi and if you look he's started in 6/8 of our wins plus the games we have defended well at Ibrox, Celtic Park and Easter Road.

I'm not going to miss reading the lazy stereotypes of "nice guy but has a mistake in him". SOD, O'Donnell and Casey all have far more mistakes this season. As for why he's so much nicer than Shane Blaney or Barry Maguire I'll leave that to the psychiatrists.....

SOD and O'Donnell. Are those psychiatrists Freudian?

Looking at highlights. It shouldn't have been sending off. Could be costly too with var costing us possibly 100k , after the I Initial 100k approx also for privilege to be cheated. Hope we appeal. Has to come a stage when people take accountability. Ref at my boys 2011 game was better.

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Looking at highlights. It shouldn't have been sending off. Could be costly too with var costing us possibly 100k , after the I Initial 100k approx also for privilege to be cheated. Hope we appeal. Has to come a stage when people take accountability. Ref at my boys 2011 game was better.

Watch this, it was a Red card all day long, high tackle, straight leg, studs up, reckless etc etc.

https://twitter.com/afc1903mad/status/1784337585864667351?t=oypvhiAlyiyF0mLH0VXZcg&s=19

That’s a very short clip of the incident which doesn’t give a true account of it and is from a view the the referee couldn’t see.
Watch the full incident and most folk will have a more balanced view of it. 

Vale’s straight leg and studs showing is due to him clearing the ball not attacking the Aberdeen player who runs into Vale and could have seriously injured him - look at the way Vale spins when they collide. As I’ve said before, no intent, no malice no red card. It’s a collision nothing more. 

11 hours ago, David said:

Kettlewell doesn't see what the fans see, and that's a good thing. Because, for the most part, the fans know hee-haw about managing a football team. 

There's a reason why he's being paid to sit in the dugout while we're paying to sit in the stands. 

That's not the point I made though, is it? My point, and that of others, is that Vale is a striker and that a striker is often wasted when being made to play out of position. If Kettlewell wants to play Vale in another position, then so be it, but these tactical decisions will rightly raise questions and bafflement from fans when they don't lead to positive results. Furthermore, and as you’ve said elsewhere, we wouldn't have a forum if fans agreed with the manager on all his decisions. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wellgirl said:

The poster cracked a joke and that's all it was in my view. If it's not breaking the site rules then it will stay up. People can report posts they aren't happy with 

I personally don't think debating that post is helpful either. There's plenty of posts on here I've thought have been over the top over the last while. Other people will disagree. Don't see the need to single one post

Yes there possibly is some over the top posts that have been abusive but they should have been called out too. I don't think calling people wankers is a joke really. I do get the sentiment behind it and the humour. Think the word Muppet or nugget may have been less offensive and made same impact? Maybe need to ask Grizzly if the joke meets his parameters.  It was just a bit harsh. Think this post is done for now. 🤔

44 minutes ago, wellfan said:

My point, and that of others, is that Vale is a striker and that a striker is often wasted when being made to play out of position. If Kettlewell wants to play Vale in another position, then so be it, but these tactical decisions will rightly raise questions and bafflement from fans when they don't lead to positive results.

Absolutely. I don't know in exactly how many games, Vale has been playing behind Bair in an advanced midfield role but I do know thats been the case in the last 2.  We've drawn one of those and lost the other. The single goal we did score was through a defender. Now, its simplistic and wrong to attribute both of those results solely to this one tactical move. However, there is more evidence to show that it has not worked than to show that it has worked.  Then again someone could argue that this move is more about not losing goals than scoring them.  An overly cautious approach if true.

3 hours ago, wellgirl said:

Club have appealed the red card 

I doubt we will get anywhere tho, we know what he was trying but on impact it looks bad. I would say it's a 50/50 and they will give official the benefit, otherwise it implies they are incompetent....they don't want to advertise the fact...I thought var could only help but it's made things worse , they get 2 chances to get it wrong 

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I doubt we will get anywhere tho, we know what he was trying but on impact it looks bad. I would say it's a 50/50 and they will give official the benefit, otherwise it implies they are incompetent....they don't want to advertise the fact...I thought var could only help but it's made things worse , they get 2 chances to get it wrong 

Are you saying the sportscene panel is wrong? 🤔 Remember they have played the game as they remind us 

5 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

That’s a very short clip of the incident which doesn’t give a true account of it and is from a view the the referee couldn’t see.
Watch the full incident and most folk will have a more balanced view of it. 

Vale’s straight leg and studs showing is due to him clearing the ball not attacking the Aberdeen player who runs into Vale and could have seriously injured him - look at the way Vale spins when they collide. As I’ve said before, no intent, no malice no red card. It’s a collision nothing more. 

Bullshit, if it had been the other way round would you have been screaming for a red card for the Aberdeen player, of course you would.

Oh and whether there was any intent on Vales part is irrelevant, it was a reckless challenge that endangered an opponent, as I said red card in any league.

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Bullshit, if it had been the other way round would you have been screaming for a red card for the Aberdeen player, of course you would.

Oh and whether there was any intent on Vales part is irrelevant, it was a reckless challenge that endangered an opponent, as I said red card in any league.

I don't think to be fair that that's a argument against appealing the red card. Some people think it's a straight red and other people don't. Motherwell fc clearly don't and they've got the right to challenge it. If it's not overturned then obviously they'll need to accept the decision.