We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

I don't agree that the only reason is to get pissed. I was at Nancy and the atmosphere and friendship of the fans there - pissed or not was fantastic, and a very uplifting experience. I would like the opportunity to have that again, hence hope we get the place in the Europa Cup.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't agree that the only reason is to get pissed. I was at Nancy and the atmosphere and friendship of the fans there - pissed or not was fantastic, and a very uplifting experience. I would like the opportunity to have that again, hence hope we get the place in the Europa Cup.

What he said.

It is not that I cannot understand the point of view of those who feel this is a waste of time and could affect our pre-season preparations. But herein lies the rub:

Motherwell will be back in Europe again.......I would rather qualify via league placings, but it is not that we have been in Europe every season or 20 or 30 times that as a Motherwell fan I don't care one way or another whether we get back in via this route. 10 years passed before our trip to Nancy and our previous european adventure - 10 YEARS :rolleyes: .

No - I will be more than happy if we are back in Europe. Rather that than watch friendlies against Colchester in front of 1246 fans. And who knows if we get through a couple of rounds we may just get a decent draw and some much needed revenue.

It is weird though Man City had a rough idea where they stood going into the last game of last season, yet Motherwell don't know where they stand going into our last game this season. :)

To be fair, I think Man City were about as clued up as Motherwell are, they knew they were favourites to get the spot but also knew there were others hovering about. That's why when Dunne got sent off in the first few minutes they were reluctant to put in another tackle, because they didn't know what the situation was.

It makes you wonder how each country decides their own. Look at Denmark, their winner wouldn't get anywhere near winning ours, nor if that was their UEFA total they would finish 2nd from bottom of 53 teams! Norway, the winners, would see their team in 4th and out of a place. It does also say in the UEFA article that, and I quote........

It is even possible for a team that has been relegated to the second highest division to qualify

for the UEFA Europa League, as a result of its exemplary fair play conduct during the

domestic championship, provided of course that they hold the mandatory UEFA club licence.

I'll be happy if we get the Fair Play Spot. It'd mean a lot more if we'd acheived it through winning matches than avoiding cards but there's no need to be overly pessimistic.

These matches will mean more than abject friendlies, be a better workout for players, attract a higher attendance plus TV money (hopefully!) than a match against Burnley infront of 1 and a half thousand fans- and who knows we could progress further than we expect!

Obviously the dodgy nations are in the early stages, but I think a wee trip to Scandanavia would be perfect.

I quite fancy an away trip here.... Boyo

I've got relatives who stay in nearby Port Talbot, so that'd be ideal! It's a pity they didn't make it as it could've been The Steelmen vs The Steelmen.

Noticed this on the Llanelli website. 1st of June!!!!

PRE EURO FRIENDLIESThe Reds are planning to play three pre euro friendlies before they enter the UEFA Europa League on Thursday 2nd July.

Games are being planned against TNS and Port Talbot,hopefully on the Parc y Scarlets training pitch on Sat 20th and Tues 23rd June with a game away at Haverfordwest at the New Bridge Meadow already pencilled in for Sat 27th June. KO 2.30pm. The Reds start their pre season training on Monday 1st June.

I'll be happy if we get the Fair Play Spot. It'd mean a lot more if we'd acheived it through winning matches than avoiding cards but there's no need to be overly pessimistic.

I'd agree with that. As much as it would have been nicer to finish 3rd again and set up another tie with another Nancy, Europe is still Europe and even if it is just a brief appearance - it's much better than a run of the mill pre-season friendly. And as much as anyone feels indifferent to it just now, come European tie day I'm sure we'd all be up for it.

That said, I'm quietly hoping for a completely unglamorous tie against a side from Wales, Northern Irish or the Republic so I can go!

Just out of interest, if we did well and progressed - what's the round we would be in after the Scotland game in Oslo? If we fail to win in Norway then the playoffs start to look unlikely, a wee jaunt with the 'Well could be in the pipeline if we're still in the Europa.

Didn't realise this (taken from http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/loadnew...amp;id=447922.) So important to avoid the bottom of the SPL altogether, wasnt' it?

The other reason for grabbing ninth is to do with next season's League Cup. Scotland has six teams taking part in European competitions next season, meaning all six are given byes to the third round of the cup. As a result, the lowest two SPL teams in this season's table that aren't in Europe will be involved in the first round, which is held on August 1 - a fortnight before the SPL season starts.

From the BBC Gossip Column.

Motherwell will be confirmed as Uefa Fair Play entrants to the Europa League unless they suffer two red cards in their final game. (Daily Record)

So, thats a certainty for Clarky to be sent off so he can go his honeymoon er, Maros the other one I'd reckon..:huh:

Easy way to solve that.

Start Maros and Clarky, then sub them as soon as we've kicked off. At least that way they get the thanks from the fans for their efforts this season and shouldn't have had enough time to get a tackle in. Especially if the we take kick off. Get Maros and Dc to take it, pass it back to Hughes who then blasts it straight out of the park and hey presto MM makes the masterstroke. :):)

Didn't realise this (taken from http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/loadnew...amp;id=447922.) So important to avoid the bottom of the SPL altogether, wasnt' it?

has that been confirmed by the SFL? I remember reading somewhere else that the other option was a preliminary round with 4 or 6 teams so that the SPL teams would all enter at the usual times.