2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

The fact Twardzik is in the frame (in some folks opinion) for POTY says more about the ineptitude of the rest of the squad rather than Twardzik being any good.

Its as plain as day that we require a better standard No.1, hopefully this new fella' is the man.

I had a look back at the 2013/14 In's and Out's and you've been consistent in your scepticism of Twardzik despite getting both barrels from a few who have either changed their tune or went to ground. You were correct a year ago and when questioned his size you got abuse with people citing Messi as an example why your opinion was wrong.

I think he's a capable young lad purely let down by his gene's and there's nothing he can do about that. Unfortunately for him, we've seen what having someone with a physical presence does subconsciously for the back 4. I think Baraclough has recognised this and with his limited funds he's still went for a keeper despite having a number of options available. This can only be cause he thinks this is key to us shipping goals and the confidence that the guy behind (as a defender) you will mop up for you.

Pearson has been brought in to be the driving force in midfield. A ball winner and scrapper in the mould of Jennings is what I think we require to give us a chance of dominating the midfield. We've been bossed there for 18 months (yes in plenty of games even despite our 2nd place finish last season).

One more player for me, leave some in the pot for the summer as we do have enough to get us over the line when our injuries come back into contention again.

The lad done us a turn when he was signed on loan last season, but he should never have been signed permanently as our No.1.

In fact, Stuart McCall has made some hellish decisions in the transfer market AND on contract extensions over the past couple of seasons...he really has left Baraclough with a bag of shite.

The saving grace to this is that (providing we stay up), many of the players are out of contract in June, and he will virtually have a blank canvas to work with for next season.

Aye but renember McCall knew nothing about keepers and left that up to Marshall!!

The fact Twardzik is in the frame (in some folks opinion) for POTY says more about the ineptitude of the rest of the squad rather than Twardzik being any good.

Its as plain as day that we require a better standard No.1, hopefully this new fella' is the man.

He's our POTY so far because he's performed better than any one else over the season. That simple and it's the same criteria as any other season.

This new guy might be an improvement, if so good, but we'll see how he deals with some of the charlatans playing in front of him. Kerr, Ramsden, McManus, O'Brien and on Saturday, Laing. All terrible over the piece.

Twardzik I think has lost some confidence since the Dundee match but I'd challenge anyone to list the good saves he's made against the poor goals he's conceded. I think one of those lists will be quite a bit longer than the other.

• Like 2

Back to the Ruddy/Randolph mould; bit if common sense at last

I was getting all misty-eyed for the days of commanding 'keepers when i saw Randolph playing against Ruddy on the Football League show at the weekend.

Dan's made some wonderful stops but I get palpitations when crosses come in to our box.

He's our POTY so far because he's performed better than any one else over the season. That simple and it's the same criteria as any other season.

This new guy might be an improvement, if so good, but we'll see how he deals with some of the charlatans playing in front of him. Kerr, Ramsden, McManus, O'Brien and on Saturday, Laing. All terrible over the piece.

Twardzik I think has lost some confidence since the Dundee match but I'd challenge anyone to list the good saves he's made against the poor goals he's conceded. I think one of those lists will be quite a bit longer than the other.

I dont agree that he has performed better than everyone else to be honest...yes, he's made some good saves but a goalkeeper that is rooted to his goal-line isnt worth having.

In my opinion, POTY should be scrapped this season because there has not been one single player who has stood out amongst the rest.

As weeyin states, I reckon Twardzik came in as we found form rather than his being the reason behind it. Never been convinced by him.

As someone else said, he struck me as an impulse signing. He's available, we know him, let's sign him. Jamie McDonald was available and to me looked a better bet.

No one is saying the back four has been blameless. Obviously Baraclough isn't saying that as he's brought in a centre half. But he's the manager, he's looked at our goalkeeping options and even though money is tight, he's chosen to strengthen there. He obviously feels Long will be a significant improvement on Twardzik. At the end of the season, it'll be more clear whether his transfer dealings have worked out or not...

Was disappointed we didn't try the same approach as we did for Ruddy and Randolph as there is a wealth of good keepers out there needing games. Glad to see we have taken that approach now.

Thats why Randolph left for nothing.

Good to see us signing a big guy who should be able to repel battering ram strikers; command his box and allow our centre backs to get on with their normal jobs.

• Like 2

I dont agree that he has performed better than everyone else to be honest...yes, he's made some good saves but a goalkeeper that is rooted to his goal-line isnt worth having.

In my opinion, POTY should be scrapped this season because there has not been one single player who has stood out amongst the rest.

Most goalkeepers stick to the line these days because they are coached to. Same reason they punch. It's the defenders job to protect the goalkeeper, not the other way around.

I just went through our last 3 games and I didn't see a single goal conceded that a commanding 6'3 goalkeeper would have prevented. It's the 30 to 10 yards where we get ripped to shreds, not the 6 yard box.

I think the only goal we lost in the 6 yard area from the last 8 was a van Dijk header where the central defender lost the challenge.

Did you see the league cup semi finals at the weekend? 4 out of the 5 goals were down to poor goalkeeping.

I can't see us having an option on him at the end of the season, the blades will want him back surely?

Wouldn't be overly concerned with the summer. Let's get to the end of the season, hopefully still in the SPL. Few of our bigger earners are out of contract, opportunity to reshape the squad then. Only thing I'd be focusing on for next season is getting the young players that Baraclough thinks have a future on longer contracts...

• Like 1

Gunnar Nielsen has the same physique as the new man, yet he doesn't bully strikers or command his area particularly better than Dan Twardzik so it doesn't automatically follow that Long will either.

Also Twardzik is 6 foot tall, he's not a midget by any stretch of the imagination!

• Like 1

I'm not going to slate Twardzik as some have he's not the best keeper we have had, but without him we would have been looking at a few double figure scores this year. The defence is a complete joke imposters each and every one. Defend as a team well there's another reason too many lazy player

• Like 2

absolutely tremendous news regarding long, been told Ian was a deciding factor for him coming north. also has to be noted the finances have been increased significantly in player budget and at this time great thanks go out to those that have dug deep.

touch wood, 2 more to follow

• Like 4

The write up for this keeper looks good so fingers crossed. What I would say is that I don't believe Dan is really that bad, it's the shite that's stood in front of him most of the season that has been the problem.

Most games, St Johnstone aside, match stats show the opposition reigning shots in on our goal. We could Neuer in goals and we would still be conceding given the pressure we are put under.

Say we do bring in another 2 faces today (guessing loans)…

How many players who play in the last game of the season for us could potentially not be at the club?

Could we be looking at a totally different starting 11 for the first game of next season given the volume of those out of contract too?

Slightly worrying in itself surely.

Better loans or short contract deals until the end of the season than being landed with paying PL wages in the championship.

As long as we get the young un's tied up on long contracts I'll be happy.

This. Tie up the young players and rebuild in the summer. The number of players out of contract in the summer gives us the perfect opportunity to do this...

Better loans or short contract deals until the end of the season than being landed with paying PL wages in the championship.

As long as we get the young un's tied up on long contracts I'll be happy.

Spot on.

Short term deals are fine as long as it ensures top flight survival and then it will be a monster rebuilding job in summer.

Most goalkeepers stick to the line these days because they are coached to. Same reason they punch. It's the defenders job to protect the goalkeeper, not the other way around.

I just went through our last 3 games and I didn't see a single goal conceded that a commanding 6'3 goalkeeper would have prevented. It's the 30 to 10 yards where we get ripped to shreds, not the 6 yard box.

I think the only goal we lost in the 6 yard area from the last 8 was a van Dijk header where the central defender lost the challenge.

Did you see the league cup semi finals at the weekend? 4 out of the 5 goals were down to poor goalkeeping.

Go back one more game to the Dundee game....

Good bit of business with Long

The amount of balls that should be collected by our goalie in the six yard box is unreal and if its in there it SHOULD be the goalies. They havent all lead to goals but without that commanding keeper opposing teams just rain down shots and crosses as they know there is a good chance it will be dropped or handled poorly or not cleared by the defence. If this goalie improves on that then its a good move.

I do think Dan has kept the score way down in games but you only have to go back to the Dundee game where he firstly dropped a ball to let them score and then was also equally at fault with O'Brien when they fucked it up a ran into each other. He shouldnt have been lobbed in Stjarnan and he also shouldnt have been lobbed against Killie. His kicking is fuckin awful as well.

I am not saying all will be well if we replace Dan in between the sticks but it will certainly help.

Wouldn't be overly concerned with the summer. Let's get to the end of the season, hopefully still in the SPL. Few of our bigger earners are out of contract, opportunity to reshape the squad then. Only thing I'd be focusing on for next season is getting the young players that Baraclough thinks have a future on longer contracts...

Kinda contradicted yourself there within one sentence.

Just would be nice to know if he does make an impression we would have scope to build a team with the likes of him in it, he is a "younger player" after all.

I suspect with Leeann out the picture and Gordon Young down there has greased the wheels with this one. However I suspect this move is primarilly just to give him game time, his U-21 status would suggest he's seen as a prize asset.

absolutely tremendous news regarding long, been told Ian was a deciding factor for him coming north. also has to be noted the finances have been increased significantly in player budget and at this time great thanks go out to those that have dug deep.

touch wood, 2 more to follow

"been told Ian was a deciding factor" , "finances have been increased significantly in player budget" ,and "touch wood 2 more to follow".

Go to the top of the class Leanne as our best informed poster.

Kinda contradicted yourself there within one sentence.

Just would be nice to know if he does make an impression we would have scope to build a team with the likes of him in it, he is a "younger player" after all.

I meant, as I suspect you know, the young players that are actually our players, not here on loan. If Long (or Laing) does well, will we explore getting them back either on loan or permanently? I'd imagine so. But that's a question for the summer...