Jump to content

David

2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

Any word on when Donnelly is due back?  I'm looking at him to add some bite in midfield. If he's back soon, he can go in the middle and put O'Hara in with Gallacher.

The official site has him returning in February. Updated just before Christmas, so you’d hope just a few more weeks. Realistically won’t be contributing to game as we’d like him until into March/April I think, as you’d expect after being out for as long as he has. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Chris Cadden coming back to Scotland, he presumably has in his mind that if he does alright, he could give himself a shout of getting into the Scotland squad for the Euros. I wonder then if that makes it more likely that O’Donnell signs on with us until the end of the season? I.e. make sure he gets first team football, and gives himself the best chance of staying front of mind with Steve Clarke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

With Chris Cadden coming back to Scotland, he presumably has in his mind that if he does alright, he could give himself a shout of getting into the Scotland squad for the Euros. I wonder then if that makes it more likely that O’Donnell signs on with us until the end of the season? I.e. make sure he gets first team football, and gives himself the best chance of staying front of mind with Steve Clarke.

He isn’t going to the Euros 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

With Chris Cadden coming back to Scotland, he presumably has in his mind that if he does alright, he could give himself a shout of getting into the Scotland squad for the Euros. I wonder then if that makes it more likely that O’Donnell signs on with us until the end of the season? I.e. make sure he gets first team football, and gives himself the best chance of staying front of mind with Steve Clarke.

really couldnt care less if O'Donnell signs or not, have been completely underwhelmed by his efforts for us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

really couldnt care less if O'Donnell signs or not, have been completely underwhelmed by his efforts for us.

Soooooo .... Not bothered by the money we'd potentially earn then, just let give him a bus fare to wherever and a manly handshake... inspired blue sky thinking there sparky.

He brings more for me than the only other out and out winger we have in Seedorf. He had one game early on this season where he played at a 7 when everyone else is 5 or 6's and he's the key to our attack claimed by too many on here. Seen it with Bigi a few years back too. Certainly not a marquee signing but better than what we have. I'd like to see the playing payroll decrease and these players who a manager and caretaker claimed were not caring punted.

Not overlooking that quite often a new manager, playing style, direction, impetus and hutspa can be transformational for under performers or those not clicking. Look at Gannon's team before Craig and Archie, few weeks under them and 12 game unbeaten run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Soooooo .... Not bothered by the money we'd potentially earn then, just let give him a bus fare to wherever and a manly handshake... inspired blue sky thinking there sparky.

He brings more for me than the only other out and out winger we have in Seedorf. He had one game early on this season where he played at a 7 when everyone else is 5 or 6's and he's the key to our attack claimed by too many on here. Seen it with Bigi a few years back too. Certainly not a marquee signing but better than what we have. I'd like to see the playing payroll decrease and these players who a manager and caretaker claimed were not caring punted.

Not overlooking that quite often a new manager, playing style, direction, impetus and hutspa can be transformational for under performers or those not clicking. Look at Gannon's team before Craig and Archie, few weeks under them and 12 game unbeaten run.

 

3 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Soooooo .... Not bothered by the money we'd potentially earn then, just let give him a bus fare to wherever and a manly handshake... inspired blue sky thinking there sparky.

He brings more for me than the only other out and out winger we have in Seedorf. He had one game early on this season where he played at a 7 when everyone else is 5 or 6's and he's the key to our attack claimed by too many on here. Seen it with Bigi a few years back too. Certainly not a marquee signing but better than what we have. I'd like to see the playing payroll decrease and these players who a manager and caretaker claimed were not caring punted.

Not overlooking that quite often a new manager, playing style, direction, impetus and hutspa can be transformational for under performers or those not clicking. Look at Gannon's team before Craig and Archie, few weeks under them and 12 game unbeaten run.

Every player is potential money,  doesn't mean they realise it. I'd bring more to the team with one leg than Seedorf. For me the money O'Donnel would cost  £ for £ doesn't justify it. You think he does that's fine doesn't make you right and me wrong and vice versa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good signing imo,especially when it's the January end of the shopping aisle whoopsie bucket,got to laugh at folk who think we have a pot of gold from sales to buy players,the youth development ,the stadium and the covid pandemic will take care of that bounty,the purple patch is over and it will take a while before we are back competing at the  top end of the table,if we get a few more signings like Lawless to get us out this mess then i'll be delighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

no - point well made. I look at most of our first team and have the same thought. Depends if he's better than what we have.


Coming back is fine if you are an uncle Phil, Lasley, Faddy,  Hammell , Craigan but if you didn't cut it first time around it's hard to expect significant change. 
 

Craigan was fucking howling his 1st time around and that's why he left to drop down a level and rebuild his career...Lawless left us as a youngster as he wasn't fancied at the time, hes gone onto rebuild his career and has generally done ok at that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Craigan was fucking howling his 1st time around and that's why he left to drop down a level and rebuild his career...Lawless left us as a youngster as he wasn't fancied at the time, hes gone onto rebuild his career and has generally done ok at that

 

pretty much explains it perfectly

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all agree that we need reinforcements, and for many of us that included a winger. Time was and still is against us as the window closes in about a fortnight. However, I didn't think we'd move so quickly to bring someone in. I'd have thought that Graham Alexander would have waited until after today or perhaps Wednesday to assess the squad's strengths and weaknesses and make his first signing.  Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

GA has made encouraging comments so far and we'll no doubt see more personnel changes in the next week or two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched clips over on P&B this morning of a game again Clyde featuring a lot of youngsters alongside players like Nicky law, Lasley and Higdon. That side (not at full strength) would absolutely pump our current side. We desperately need 3/4 senior pro’s of quality. If this season is called early, we don’t have time to have players settle in, we need players that’ll hit the ground running and that means investment; otherwise we’re in real danger of finding ourselves like Hearts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The season isn't going to be called early.  We are probably past the peak of infections and the Premiership is returning 99.9% negative tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kmac said:

I watched clips over on P&B this morning of a game again Clyde featuring a lot of youngsters alongside players like Nicky law, Lasley and Higdon. That side (not at full strength) would absolutely pump our current side. We desperately need 3/4 senior pro’s of quality. If this season is called early, we don’t have time to have players settle in, we need players that’ll hit the ground running and that means investment; otherwise we’re in real danger of finding ourselves like Hearts.

Did you also notice a very young Declan Gallagher playing for clyde.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The season isn't going to be called early.  We are probably past the peak of infections and the Premiership is returning 99.9% negative tests.

I would not be so sure, football is on a yellow card as it is with the Scottish gov,  and the Incompetent tossers running the SFA/SPFL are capable of any ridiculous decision, to get back in favour.

Plus once Lawell and the other members of the green brigade get started the cry to call the season will be in full swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think we all agree that we need reinforcements, and for many of us that included a winger. Time was and still is against us as the window closes in about a fortnight. However, I didn't think we'd move so quickly to bring someone in. I'd have thought that Graham Alexander would have waited until after today or perhaps Wednesday to assess the squad's strengths and weaknesses and make his first signing.  Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

GA has made encouraging comments so far and we'll no doubt see more personnel changes in the next week or two.  

It's been obvious our transfer policy is not in the hands of the manager for some time.

There has been multiple examples of us being linked to a player not getting him that window, changing manager and then bringing in the same player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t quite believe it when I seen daft rumours flying about regards to Adam Rooney but seems like he could be possibly one of the next ones through the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's been obvious our transfer policy is not in the hands of the manager for some time.

There has been multiple examples of us being linked to a player not getting him that window, changing manager and then bringing in the same player.

 

I would be fairly certain that the Manager has the final say. What that does not mean is that someone like Lawless for example is a decent player and us adding him to the squad is a shrewd bit of business. I am quite sure Alexander could have said no. In his Friday interview he makes it clear he spoke to Lawless before any transfer was finalised. 

A Livi fan over on Pie and Bovril stated that Lawless and Dykes were their two best players last season. 

What is also clear from his interview and what I very much liked is his insistence on a better quality smaller squad.

That would suggest to me that anyone currently on the periphery will be encouraged to move on in the next couple of weeks. We may even look to pay up some contracts or come to a deal. So I would expect a few departures and a few more arrivals. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, well_said said:

Did you also notice a very young Declan Gallagher playing for clyde.

Tbh, I think after about 30 seconds, I was head in hands thinking how that team compares to this... and that was Hollis in goals (a world beater in comparison to the pieman). 
We have regressed big time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I would not be so sure, football is on a yellow card as it is with the Scottish gov,  and the Incompetent tossers running the SFA/SPFL are capable of any ridiculous decision, to get back in favour.

Plus once Lawell and the other members of the green brigade get started the cry to call the season will be in full swing.

Ending the season early last season cost the clubs roughly 30% of the TV income for the season. There is no way they can afford to do that again. 

Not even Harper McLeod will be able to push that through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I would be fairly certain that the Manager has the final say. What that does not mean is that someone like Lawless for example is a decent player and us adding him to the squad is a shrewd bit of business. I am quite sure Alexander could have said no. In his Friday interview he makes it clear he spoke to Lawless before any transfer was finalised. 

What is also clear from his interview and what I liked is his insistence on a better quality smaller squad. That would suggest to me that anyone currently on the periphery will be encouraged to move on in the next couple of weeks. We may even look to pay up some contracts or come to a deal. So I would expect a few departures and a few more arrivals. 

 

He probably does have final say.

But that's a whole different thing than a manager bringing in his own players.  I'm fine with Lawless being brought in but I'd be surprised if Alexander knows much about him.

It seems to me others are identifying players and doing the deals to bring them in and given that our recent transfers have been pretty poor I think it needs a light shone on what exactly is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

What is also clear from his interview and what I very much liked is his insistence on a better quality smaller squad.

 

 

It makes a change from strengthening 12-18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Tbh, I think after about 30 seconds, I was head in hands thinking how that team compares to this... and that was Hollis in goals (a world beater in comparison to the pieman). 
We have regressed big time.

Also, that side was being absolutely slaughtered by the fans. That Clyde game was the turning point for Higdon as well, up til that point in all fairness we hadnt quite worked out his game and how he fit in to the side, but before that fans wanted him run out the club. After the Clyde game we really kicked off on an upward turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He probably does have final say.

But that's a whole different thing than a manager bringing in his own players.  I'm fine with Lawless being brought in but I'd be surprised if Alexander knows much about him.

It seems to me others are identifying players and doing the deals to bring them in and given that our recent transfers have been pretty poor I think it needs a light shone on what exactly is happening.

Clearly others in the club are involved including our Head of Scouting.

But I am quite certain Alexander will start to identify players he believes will improve the team / squad the longer he is in the door.  He also has contacts in the game which would have been a big plus and will use them as well as running the rule over any players that were previously identified.  On the whole I am happy that going forward anyone who joins will have the blessing of the Manager and /or his own targets. 

He also clearly stated (which you would expect) that he ONLY wants players that will improve the team or offer us something different to what we have. 

It is clear we have a fairly bloated squad consisting of players that are simply not good enough. Alexander has been left with a bit of a mess to clean up. What will further complicate matters is if any of our better players leave this window. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Didn’t quite believe it when I seen daft rumours flying about regards to Adam Rooney but seems like he could be possibly one of the next ones through the door.

Reliable info source  or rumours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Onthefringes alludes to the possibility of a deal happening with Rooney I might start to believe it!  :D:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×