2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

'Flow likes to keep stuff on the lowdown.

Why do you think O'Donnell re-signed? Lure of the Bernabau for Scotland's premier right back.

Will make the Euro's interesting if players at the 12 announced are pied. England will probably field something like:

Pope (Burnley)

Trippier (Althetico Madrid) - Stones (Man City) - Maguire (Man Utd) - Chilwell (Chelsea)

Mount (Chelsea) - Rice (West Ham) - Foden (Man City) - Grealish (Aston Villa)

Kane (Spurs) - Sterling (Man City)

Subs:

Rashford (Man Utd)

Henderson (Liverpool)

Shaw (Manchester Utd)

Alexander Arnold (Liverpool)

A keeper and two midfielders left if they're banned .... delightful.

Of course we'd lose Tierney, McTominay and Robertson. McGinley is in with a shout

• Haha 1

Where'd you get that impression?

Nowhere other my own observation of his demeanour any time the camera is on him. Just doesn’t seem to get very involved. Though now I think about it he might just be under orders, given his clutch of yellow and red cards earlier in the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Is it too much of a stretch to think he may not be here for the long haul? 

The long haul? Possibly not. I tend not to look beyond the next season, so I'm looking to gauge his success in this summers window and next season. After that? Who knows.

7 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Why aren't you sure the Jordan Roberts signing was down to him, but the rest are? You can't take a positive signing away from him, based on (as far as i'm aware) no evidence at all, just because it suits your argument.

on the other signings, none of them have really kicked on, however Foley, Smith and Nolan are all injury related, which is completely out with anyone's control. That's not to say they would or wouldn't have been successes though, I actually thought the Foley and Nolan signings would have been good business albeit not very flashy, at the time the only two players over 30 in the squad were Carson and Chapman and the squad, never mind the team was crying out for some experience. 

We also need to remember how difficult the window is to sign real quality, never mind in the middle of a pandemic, convincing guys to sign for 6 months and move to another country where they can't leave the house can't have been easy.

His signings this summer will be when he is judged.

As you said he will be judged on his signings during the summer, I cannot remember a season  for the number of injuries, hopefully the club need to carry out some kind of inquest to why we are getting so many long term injuries.

I wouldn’t think there will be a massive rebuild, but hopefully we will have a reserve/ youth teams next season, as most clubs we need to develop our own youngsters as they are our future, unfortunately due to COVID we don’t appear to have any up and coming stars and we need to direct some money towards this development in the hope of getting another Turnbull, McFadden type player

1 hour ago, David said:

The long haul? Possibly not. I tend not to look beyond the next season, so I'm looking to gauge his success in this summers window and next season. After that? Who knows.

Alright then, too much of a stretch to think he may not see the rebuild so wanted by most through in the short term?

5 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Nowhere other my own observation of his demeanour any time the camera is on him. Just doesn’t seem to get very involved. Though now I think about it he might just be under orders, given his clutch of yellow and red cards earlier in the season emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange observation if you are being serious. 

His response to us winning away at Hibs was as loud and as positive as I have seen from ANY Motherwell Manager. Also after FT in most if not all recent games (especially those we have won) he fist pumps and hugs the players on the pitch or as they are coming off it. 

That plus you can clearly hear his shouting constantly from the sidelines. 

Yup - that all adds up to someone who is offski soon or disinterested......

If a decent League one or Championship club came in for him - he probably would be offski but for that to happen he needs to do well at Fir Park. Keeping us in the league is one tick. Getting us to a semi final would be another tick. Thereafter ???

12 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Alright then, too much of a stretch to think he may not see the rebuild so wanted by most through in the short term?

As I said, I don't think there's any chance of Alexander not being given a chance to rebuild. I don't see us sacking a manager after half a season unless he got us relegated.

Could he decide to walk or not see through the rebuild of his own accord? Always a possibility.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Mid table English championship is still a decent level, re quality of football and financially.

Yeah, definitely. I meant, doubt him or his agent will be holding out for something 'bigger' at this point in his career, if they're being realistic. Unless it's a bigger club struggling further down the leagues. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Mid table English championship is still a decent level, re quality of football and financially.

And if he can prove himself capable at that level it opens up the possibility of a move further up the ladder.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Yep, found an article with Luton Town's managing director from last year - they have a playing budget of £7m a year and operate a £6k per week salary cap and that's one of the lowest in the league. Our total staff budget in May 2019 was £4m (no idea what the playing budget is). 

Going to a lower / mid table championship side will still see a player multiply their wages quite a few times over. 

2 hours ago, David said:

And if he can prove himself capable at that level it opens up the possibility of a move further up the ladder.

I’d be surprised if he plays any higher than that level in all honesty.

• Like 3

Millwall and Luton are good clubs for Alan Campbell, fair play to him if he gets a move to one of them.

Interesting to hear OTF talk about Alexander possibly not being here after the summer. I thought he had moved his family up to Scotland so it must be good money if he's willing to up root them again.  Unless its a move to another Scottish club and if so I can only see Hearts as a possible destination. Don't see anyone else paying compensation.

Or I may have made up the family thing, or they could be unhappy and wanting to move back down to England....

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Players can flourish with better players around them. Of course can always go the other way but I think he will flourish in a team where he not carrying so much of the load. 

The Luton manager's said he has no interest in signing Campbell.

"A lot of people have used our name because we are the type of club that likes to get people, so to generate interest, I would imagine someone has put that in the paper."

Imagine that.

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

We could very well be surprised. A player with what some would term limited ability can go far based on work ethic alone, and it's no secret that Campbell has work ethic in spades. 

I'd never have imagined John McGinn would end up where he is now, for example. I wouldn't put a limit on what Campbell can do until we see him playing regularly down south.

I think a mid table championship team would be the ideal progression for campbell right now,he could earn pretty good money and his style would suit that league.hes a player I've loved since he broke into the first team and I would like him to stay but I think he has done all he can at our level and needs a new challenge to try and take his career up a notch and we can take whatever compensation we get and move on,I just hope he gets a decent offer from another country and doesn't end up at the likes of hibs or aberdeen.

I think Campbell could comfortably hold down a place in an English Championship side. He would benefit from playing in what would undoubtedly be a better side than he currently plays in.

Obviously from a purely selfish point of view I’d want him to stay here but realistically for the sake of his career and further development he probably needs to move on now.

29 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

He would benefit from playing in what would undoubtedly be a better side than he currently plays in.

Whilst thats true, its also true that he'll be up against a far higher calibre of opponent too. A Championship club will also have far higher standards off the field than he's used to here. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic