David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

I think Shields, KVV and Woolery are all going to perform much better this coming season now having a season under their belts. If we can fix left back position I think that will help us a lot. If we can add a forward, midfielder and left back all significantly better than what we have, i’ll be happy. Easier said than done though. 

If we were seriously looking for a left back, do people think we would have resigned the two that we already have?

• Like 1

We only managed to finish 5th because the rest of the league were utterly pitiful and even worse than us . Never if my life have I seen week after week results go our way even when we fucked up week after week. That won't happen again.  Aberdeen and Hibs will not be as bad next year. Kilmarnock will not stand still. The standard of our play last season was eye bleedingly bad. We had the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. I think we need 5 or 6 . If Spittal turns our to be the deal that obviously becomes 4/5 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We only managed to finish 5th because the rest of the league were utterly pitiful and even worse than us . Never if my life have I seen week after week results go our way even when we fucked up week after week. That won't happen again.  Aberdeen and Hibs will not be as bad next year. Kilmarnock will not stand still. The standard of our play last season was eye bleedingly bad. We had the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. I think we need 5 or 6 . If Spittal turns our to be the deal that obviously becomes 4/5 

Do you honestly feel the overall standard in the league will rise ? Was just about everyone awful because the management were poor or could it be down to the quality of footballer Scottish football can attract ?

We need another out and out striker to complement / substitute for Van Veen. Apart from that, a central defender is a must, although that might depend on shipping someone out.  Strengthening the defence should be our priority. GA is well aware of that.

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We need another out and out striker to complement / substitute for Van Veen. Apart from that, a central defender is a must, although that might depend on shipping someone out.  Strengthening the defence should be our priority. GA is well aware of that.

I’d be amazed if defence is not  strengthened, simply retaining Lamie did not solve that problem.

7 hours ago, The African said:

If we were seriously looking for a left back, do people think we would have resigned the two that we already have?

My worry is Alexander is happy with Carroll and McGinley. No offence to them but in my opinion are 2 of the poorest full backs I have seen in the 45 years I have been going to Fir park, and believe you me I have seen a few brutal players over the years

You need to put it in the modern day context with full backs which boils down to not actually requiring as much out of them defensively. Whether it's Trent Alexander-Arnold, Calvin Ramsay or Nathan Patterson, the expectation is that they operate more as wing-backs (or even wingers) than a last line of defence.

I can't say I'm a fan of that approach, but you see it across all the leagues now.

As for poorest fullbacks, the current two wouldn't come close to my top 5 even if you restrict Derek Murray to just one slot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

You need to put it in the modern day context with full backs which boils down to not actually requiring as much out of them defensively. Whether it's Trent Alexander-Arnold, Calvin Ramsay or Nathan Patterson, the expectation is that they operate more as wing-backs (or even wingers) than a last line of defence.

I can't say I'm a fan of that approach, but you see it across all the leagues now.

As for poorest fullbacks, the current two wouldn't come close to my top 5 even if you restrict Derek Murray to just one slot.

Add Tony Straker, Danny Murphy, a past it Alan Sneddon, and more recently Aaron Taylor-Sinclair and Stephen Hendrie. McGinlay and Carroll are limited but let's not kid on they are anywhere near the worst...

• Like 2

Didn't realise I was in minority of not rating Carroll and McGinley, hopefully they can prove me wrong next season but I remain unconvinced...COYW

20 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Didn't realise I was in minority of not rating Carroll and McGinley, hopefully they can prove me wrong next season but I remain unconvinced...COYW

There both mince

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

There both mince

They are mince or dug meat.  We need a LB that is capable of defending and none of this modern LB pish. Our midfield and attackers should be the threat. Defenders are there to defend let's keep to basics before we turn OD into cafu, cause he clearly isn't 

1 hour ago, Erskine Alpha said:

They are mince or dug meat.  We need a LB that is capable of defending and none of this modern LB pish.

I'll  give you the benefit of the doubt and assume  that  post was a wind up. But what a load  of shite, so if we signed Robertson or Tierney then, 2 of the best" Modern Left backs " in the world you would not be happy, as they get forward too much, ok then :doh:

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Your not in a minority, I think a lot of our support dont rate either of them. Personally, I dont think either are great. But they are a long way from the worst we have ever had. McGinley is a better defender, but cant cross the ball. Carroll has much better delivery but consistently gets caught out of position and cant block a cross. In short, roll the 2 into one and you might have a player. Unfortunately that player would be off to pastures new within a season of their arrival.

Its where we are as a club in the modern game and why context is always required when assessing our players.

I dont think GA will be looking for another left back, but I wouldnt be averse to someone coming in if one of the above can be moved on.

15 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Do you honestly feel the overall standard in the league will rise ? Was just about everyone awful because the management were poor or could it be down to the quality of footballer Scottish football can attract ?

Aberdeen and Hibs will never be as bad again and I think Kilmarnock will be better than Dundee were so yes I do. 

7 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

My worry is Alexander is happy with Carroll and McGinley. No offence to them but in my opinion are 2 of the poorest full backs I have seen in the 45 years I have been going to Fir park, and believe you me I have seen a few brutal players over the years

Couldnt agree more I wouldnt give those two a game in a Championship side. Ojala and Solholm look to absolute duffers too.

6 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Couldnt agree more I wouldnt give those two a game in a Championship side. Ojala and Solholm look to absolute duffers too.

Thats just not true.

Ojala has looked good in spells but is clearly very injury prone and that has effected his performances for us. Probably why we had the chance of signing someone of his calibre.

Solholm started very well then tailed off badly. Whether that was as a result of going straight from a Norwegian season into ours without a break or whether he has been carrying an injury is hard to say, but he is not a duffer.

Lets wait and see how both respond to a proper close season and good pre season before we right both of them off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thats just not true.

Ojala has looked good in spells but is clearly very injury prone and that has effected his performances for us. Probably why we had the chance of signing someone of his calibre.

Solholm started very well then tailed off badly. Whether that was as a result of going straight from a Norwegian season into ours without a break or whether he has been carrying an injury is hard to say, but he is not a duffer.

Lets wait and see how both respond to a proper close season and good pre season before we right both of them off.

Its not true in your eyes its true in mine. Time will tell who is right

8 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Aberdeen and Hibs will never be as bad again and I think Kilmarnock will be better than Dundee were so yes I do. 

We will see, personally I’m not expecting the overall standard to improve, individual clubs may improve with others going backwards.

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We will see, personally I’m not expecting the overall standard to improve, individual clubs may improve with others going backwards.

yeah but if 3 individual clubs improve and we stand still it can affect us. Who could actually go backwards from the shite of last season.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

yeah but if 3 individual clubs improve and we stand still it can affect us. Who could actually go backwards from the shite of last season.

Hard to say, and obviously recruitment is key for everyone. You’d expect that Aberdeen and Hibs will be better than they were last season, and Killie may well be better than Dundee. But other teams around us have lost key players… off the top of my head… Forrest - Livi, Siegrist - Dundee Utd (and they need a new manager), Charles-Cooke and Hungbo - Ross Co, Ronan - St Mirren, even Souttar and Sims at Hearts, although they’ll still be strong. Who knows whether the replacements they bring in will be as good as those who’ve left?

Although we had a very patchy season, we have the advantage of less turnover in the close season than we’ve had for a while. Like everyone else, the quality of the new recruits will determine whether or not we move forward, and at least become more consistent 

• Like 1

Where we end up this season will depend not just on our performances but also those of other teams. At the very least a consistent core to our squad should aid consistency. GA will also now be more familiar with his squads strengths and weaknesses. However, we can't stand still and have to improve which means bringing in another 2/3/4 new players.  Some of our rivals will be weaker and some will be stronger.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

It’s a big ‘if’ on the clubs mentioned. I think there’s an over emphasis on the abilities of messrs Goodwin & McKinnes for starters.