2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Why is that? Our season never goes beyond May but we still pay them holiday pay even though they might not be returning. One item on the agenda for the first Members meeting :evilgrin:

Surely it's an annual contract and as such they are paid monthly regardless of whether the season is over or not. I wouldn't imagine holiday pay is terminology used in the contracts. :mellow:

The problem is that there are too many full-time professional footballers now. Guys that should be nowhere near making a living from the game, who are. Used to be the case that only the best players had a hope of getting taken on as a professional, and even then a lot of the best ones didn't make it, but these days it's comparatively easy to get some kind of contract somewhere and it's saturated the game with shite footballers taking professional wages from clubs. THATS why theres a load of footballers on the scrapheap...it's not solely because clubs are cutting back....it's because they have entered a profession in which they aren't good enough to be required, so when cuts are made, they are the first to struggle to find work. Clubs don't have money to waste on "filler".

I'd be interested to see the 'average wage' Wishart is talking about and how many hours it takes for his members to earn what the people on the terrace/seats earn.The big problem in this country now is the amount of clubs compared to the amount of people willing to pay to watch them and too many clubs using tv money to pay inflated wages instead of some kind of performance related pay.

The problem is that there are too many full-time professional footballers now. Guys that should be nowhere near making a living from the game, who are. Used to be the case that only the best players had a hope of getting taken on as a professional, and even then a lot of the best ones didn't make it, but these days it's comparatively easy to get some kind of contract somewhere and it's saturated the game with shite footballers taking professional wages from clubs. THATS why theres a load of footballers on the scrapheap...it's not solely because clubs are cutting back....it's because they have entered a profession in which they aren't good enough to be required, so when cuts are made, they are the first to struggle to find work. Clubs don't have money to waste on "filler".

That's almost 100% wrong Al. There are less professionals now than at any time in the past. Numbers have been reducing year on year. There's an argumebt there in terms of quality although I don't buy that entirely either however in terms of numbers you're just plain old incorrect.

We done away with a reserve league so that teams could reduce numbers

Would have to say I'd take mostly anyone on this list..... http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/14/79/0,,12306~162068,00.pdf

I also think we should have a real push for Cody McDonald on loan as he has a great record and maybe paul could do us (and Norwich) a favour by sending him to us on loan. It has worked for may other EPL (lesser) players

What about Rory McAllister (prob been brought up before)

He's on a free, from Brechin, so not to high a wage, worth a punt to me

Good shout. If he isn't on the radar of most SPL clubs right now then I don't know what is happening. Good goalscoring record last year AND he is an apprentice plumber. Got to come in handy over those difficult November to January months! ;)

That's almost 100% wrong Al. There are less professionals now than at any time in the past. Numbers have been reducing year on year. There's an argumebt there in terms of quality although I don't buy that entirely either however in terms of numbers you're just plain old incorrect.

We done away with a reserve league so that teams could reduce numbers

Typed my last post in a reasonable hurry, but just to clarify im referring more to quality across the game, rather than squad numbers. There are too many guys in the SPL who are picking up a wage as a professional footballer, who in terms of ability should be nowhere near doing so. As clubs cut back financially...these guys are the first to suffer as they have nothing to make them desirable.

I'd expect every single SPL club (possibly outside the Old Firm), has season ticket holders that are better footballers than at least a couple of their first team squad.

What about Rory McAllister (prob been brought up before)

He's on a free, from Brechin, so not to high a wage, worth a punt to me

he was apparently getting £600p/w part time while raking it in from his plumming.

Faddy was released i heard...........................

ayeee right.... :laugh:

Really? You don't think theres guys sitting in the stand at St Mirren park who earn mnimum wage in a normal day job, who are better than a bunch of guys that were with Cowdenbeath last season but are now earning an SPL wage? That's a waste of money for guys that just arent good enough at the game to justify it.

You seriously think there's season ticket holders at Caledonian Stadium that dream of being as good as Ross Tokely?

Did you SEE Jerel Ifil while he was playing for Aberdeen and probably picking up about 3 grand a week?

The game is riddled with Kerry Katona syndrome. People picking up a decent wage who in an alternative reality would be working in Tesco.

The story I heard about McFadden was that Birmingham were unwilling to take up the wages on the option on his contract, so have released him, but are negotiating on a new, lower waged, contract.

On the 'better players in the stands' chat, I dunno about you, but any time I've ever played fives or elevens or whatever with folk who have been trained properly, you can tell immediately, because you canna get near them.

That could just be because I'm brutal though.

I'd expect every single SPL club (possibly outside the Old Firm), has season ticket holders that are better footballers than at least a couple of their first team squad.

You are mental mate. I know a couple of blokes who if you seen them playing fives or having a kickabout down the park you'd think they were absolutely amazing and possibly wonder why they weren't pros. Closest any of them got to playing professional football was half a season playing reserve football with cowdenbeath. Every player playing for an SPL club is a helluva lot better than you must think

I'd say Al is spot on, one of our mates is a cracking player and has been offered trials at a professional club (where he'd walk into the first team in my opinion) but never pursued it because he has a good job with the council and doesent want to take the risk of quitting that only to find himself on the scrap heap a year on two down the line with no job and no real savings.

Where did I mention 5's? Anyone can look decent playing 5-a-side. My dad's a decent 5's player still...and he's 57. If you want to go down that route though then the flipside of that is James Fowler of Killie. Don't know if he still does but he used to play regularly with his mates in a weekly league at Forthbank Astro...didn't look like he shouldn't be there, yet is coming up for a testimonial with an SPL club.

It's more to do with the scouting network in this country being very poor for the most part, what the scouts are looking for in a young player etc.