Vs Hearts

GazzyB

First insinuation I've seen in any match report so far that the sending off might have been even remotely harsh: "Even when Keith Lasley was red-carded just five minutes after the break for his second tackle from behind on Ian Black, that delicate flower of the Hearts midfield, it made not a jot of difference to the outcome." (Today's Rancid.)

I wouldn't have said either tackle was from behind... more like side on.

As an aside, refs seem perfectly happy with tackles from behind these days and you'll see at least half a dozen per game with none being pulled up. I would also contend the red card may have helped us through a sesne of injustice. Typical Rancid!

Just seen the BBC highlights there and the second booking for Lasley is a joke, a split second and a couple of inches away from the ball in a 50/50 challenge... a foul and no more. Also, I can't remember any other fouls that Lasley committed so he has been sent off for 2 fairly innocuous fouls, poor refereeing yet again.

As for the Zaliukas 'gesture', I find it ridiculous that the same fans giving the guy dogs abuse were the ones to jump up and demand he be sent off for responding in kind... as others have said, because Higdon got a ridiculous ban doesn't mean we should be encouraging more of the same. The game is far better off with a bit of back and forth between players and supporters and unfortunately there is now a lack of 'characters' in the game because of these ridiculous rules being brought in.

On another note, at one point it looked like a Hearts player raised his hands to (punched?) Jennings right in front of the east stand and the linesman but he wasn't so much as spoken to, am I just seeing things that weren't actually there?

Lasley's red card is even more annoying when you consider Jim Goodwin's performance at NSP the week before. Booked after about 10 minutes then preceeded to commit another four or five fouls before the end. Just very inconsistent.

I said the exact same to my old man at the weekend. Plus Goodwin at FP earlier in the season was the exact same. The lack of consistency is unreal. I actually thought he wasn't going to bring a card out at the weekend fir the 2nd tackle until he realised it was Keith then he couldn't get to his pocket quick enough.

Reminded me of the way O'Reily reacted to Jenno that day. Also against Hearts. He got his cards out so quickly on Saturday he almost gave Las a straight red for it. Linesman missing Zaliukas gesture was simply incompetent.

Very interesting. Did the Compliance Officer cite any reason for taking no action?

No television pictures of the incident to review (though there are no actual quotes in this report):

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hearts/2012/02/22/sfa-take-no-action-over-hearts-captain-marius-zaliukas-alleged-gesture-86908-23760715/

• 4 weeks later...