Baraclough Out

Bop

McCall seemed like he had jacked in the towel a few weeks before he actually officially did. If we go down, it's on him and Black, not the new regime who must have been horrified at what they walked in to

McCall made a complete cunt of the beginning of the season but you can't blame him for relegation. We were clear of the play off place by a distance and then we had a terrible run through January and February when we were utterly pathetic. As well as not getting any points some of the major drubbings we got at that time could still put us in the play off place on GD.

Baraclough tried to change too much, too soon and the risk he took is still wavering on a knife edge going into the game on Saturday.

I was never McCall's biggest fan but if he'd been allowed to bring in two Champions League level players in Pearson and McDonald it's hard to believe we would have struggled so badly in the first place.

I thought Baraclough was a goner early February so credit to him for overseeing the turnaround to date. The arrival of Robinson and McDonald have been instrumental.

At present, we are enjoyable to watch and not in danger of driving fans away which McCall's style ended up doing. We are fit and giving our youth products a chance. This addresses two key concerns from the previous regime.

The acid test though is to keep us in the league. Failure to do so would suggest that Baraclough was the right appointment at the wrong time.

On the contrary, for me he's the right appointment at the right time.

McCall left us in a sorry state when he went; I think everyone agrees we were a mess (the disagreements I've seen are over the level of mess) and needed a major overhaul of attitude and desire at the club. Baraclough appears to have brought that to the table, including making some very encouraging backroom staff appointments that have made the world of difference to our fitness and confidence.

I'll admit some of his signings have split opinion, but as long as they do a job for us and fill in when required I'm happy.

Grant and Johnson came out of the blue and are both great players. Grant in particular looked good playing centre mid last night when he came on for Pearo, which encouraged me (any word on his injury?)

Whatever league we're playing in next year I fully expect him to be in charge; with some new signings (however many he's allowed to make to replace the inevitable free transfers in the summer) a full preseason under his leadership with our fitness coaches and his assistant will give us a vastly improved team and club with the building blocks for a successful future.

• Like 1

If we stay up, Baraclough was a good appointment. If we go down, he wasn't. That's how it's going to be decided.

To me it's pointless to say 'if McCall has been given the money that Baraclough was given in January...' because McCall wasn't sacked, he walked away. Would he have walked away had he known such funds would have become available? That's a different question.

First couple of months under Baraclough weren't great. So much so that pundits were taking the mickey on the radio. At one point, the situation looked untenable.

But, and here's where those who blamed Kenny Black for some of our problems can say 'I told you so', things seem to have picked up since Robinson has come in. Were we too loyal in keeping Black on as assistant?

You judge managers on three areas.

Signings: Mixed bag. Is Long better than Twardzik? Most fans would say they're much of a muchness. But it would appear from McManus' recent interview where he talks about now having a strong spine to the team that the defenders prefer Long. Laing after a couple of dodgy games, looks like a decent player, although similar to Hutchinson in that he's prone to the odd rash moment. Straker, given some of his performances, people are never going to feel confident with but as a third choice left back (given Angol and Hammell are unfit, that's what he is), he's not the worst. Johnson, Pearson and McDonald all successful signings. Grant looks decent in the middle, wasted on the wing. Nathan Thomas, haven't seen enough of.

Tactics/team selection: It seems since McDonald's arrival that he has a shape that he likes. Bold move pairing Erwin rather than Sutton with him that's now paying off. Seems he's also reinvigorated Ainsworth, although that could be the usual case of a player suddenly finding form towards the end of a contract. He's also solved the right back issue. Criticism would be that it took him too long to address issues with the shape, although only having Sutton, Moore and Erwin as available strikers limited him. Could he have tried Erwin and Moore and benched Sutton earlier? Maybe but would Moore have been as effective as McDonald?

Fitness: Improved, down to Robinson or Baraclough, either way it's improved.

In all areas, things are getting better. Criticism is that they took a long time to get better and seemed to get a whole lot worse first. Has he turned it around in time? We'll know in the summer. Other thing that's gone against him is the fact that no one saw Ross County's run coming...

• Like 1

I was one of those very vocally against Baraclough a couple of months back, but credit to him, he's getting there. Not there by a long stretch, considering we're still in the relegation play-off spot, but getting towards where he wants us.

The difference to our season has been the introduction of Pearson and McDonald. That extra experience, and quality, has been crucial. Without it, we'd be down on a similar points tally to St. Mirren at the moment. Kudos to Baraclough for unearthing players such as Laing and Johnson, as well as giving the time and patience (somewthing I was wavering on) with Lee Erwin. It would be interesting to know who signed Pearo and McDonald though? Was Baraclough aware of them beforehand, or did perhaps a director or a GM point them in his direction?

In fairness I don't think it was so much that he was getting much wrong, more that he had so much to try and put right, and was never going to manage everything in the first couple of months. It was always going to take time and i'm sure it was all worked through fairly methodically, and he knew where he felt he could have us a little bit further down the line than many fans were willing to look.

My thoughts exactly. There was so much that needed putting right. He's brought in some good players and improved the form of existing players who simply weren't doing it for Stuart McCall. He's also had to contend with a horrendous injury list and the new players weren't really afforded the luxury of being introduced into a settled side. Fitness has also been improved markedly.

• Like 1

I like the corner routines since Robinson arrived.

We always look like a threat, sometimes from the second ball, and the opposition often don't have a clue what's happening.

Me and the wee fella are always looking at the taker to see what the signal is to see if we can work out what's coming.

McCall made a complete cunt of the beginning of the season but you can't blame him for relegation. We were clear of the play off place by a distance and then we had a terrible run through January and February when we were utterly pathetic. As well as not getting any points some of the major drubbings we got at that time could still put us in the play off place on GD.

Baraclough tried to change too much, too soon and the risk he took is still wavering on a knife edge going into the game on Saturday.

I was never McCall's biggest fan but if he'd been allowed to bring in two Champions League level players in Pearson and McDonald it's hard to believe we would have struggled so badly in the first place.

you seem to forget that Pearo had been training with us for ages before he went to India. McCall had plenty of opportunity to sign him, I doubt if he would have even tried for Skippy as he would have said he is way above our level Kudos to the Barra

It's funny how a wee run of form can change folks opinions (drastically) in some cases.

Baraclough is part of the bigger picture of positivity at the club just now. The appointment of Robinson and the changes to training, diet, scouting, etc are all positive. For so long Barra talked the talked, and finally, we are starting to see his plans come to fruition. Judgement is very much still out on him as a manager for me, but with our current behind the scene set-up, squad and form on the up it reflects well on him. Now all about staying in the top flight to determine his ability - as mentioned, relegated will mean bad appointment, stay up good appointment.

The way we are playing now is perfect for playing bottom six dross. For all the talk about possession football a few months we are using the width of the park to create space and hit the front four early and Lasley and Pearson are winning second balls in the middle of the park.

Whether that style works against better teams remains to be seen and there is still a rebuilding job to do in the summer if regardless of what league we are playing in. Long, Laing and Grant will all need replaced, we'll need two new fullbacks and another centre half and Ainsworth and McDonald will probably need replaced as well. Maybe even Sutton.

We've done a Ross County and thrown money at our problems, for long term improvement it's going to take a bit more nous.

We're playing well now and credit to Barraclough for getting the team finally looking like a football team again (even though I think it's the signings that have turned things round more than his actual team management) To be fair to him, he's doing a lot better and making better decisions.

But it's quite probably come way too late to keep us out of the play off spot. That run of defeats was just too damaging and the run of good results left too late.

I hope I'm wrong, and hope they can pull us out of the mire. At least we have a decent chance now.

And if we do go down, at least we won't go down without a fight. It will be an exciting end to the season, and if we do end up in the play-offs then hopefully it will be taking some good form with us.

I believe he mentioned in an interview that he worked with Scott McDonald at Millwall prior to taking up a scouting role. Not sure if any connection with Pearson though.

On a side note to Disco's comment about replacing McDonald, It's my understanding that he had two options, Motherwell or going to the A-League. He didn't feel it was time to head back to Oz so he might hang around if things go well.

Again, if we stay up, I'm looking forward to seeing who he can bring into the club as Free Agents, I'm expecting good things ahead.

If McCall had the money to sign the players Barraclough has we wouldn't be near relegation.

We've added guys far better than the rest of the bottom six and to be fair to Barraclough he's got us playing to our strengths ie. ball into the final third and win the game there. No one outside the club knows what the budget is going to be like next season or what McManus, Lasley and Hammell will be able to contribute next season.

If he keeps us up he should start as the manager next season but the most important thing is the budget. If we're really aiming to be self sufficient he's fucked, if Les Hutchinson wants a plaything he'll look good. We're back at being at the mercy of a rich individual.

I'm not going to mention the sum concerned but a definite figure of what would be taken out of the budget was stated at the AGM earlier in the year. Having heard that - alongside the ethos of youth development and sourcing younger players with sell-on value, my eyebrows were most certainly raised when it was announced that Pearo was signing a two year deal.

I genuinely believed that he and McDonald would have a mutually beneficial spell with us this season where they raised their profile, proved their fitness and ability whilst they hopefully kept us up and they'd move on to bigger things again.

It's left me a little unclear as to what kind of squad we'll begin next season with.

But in terms of sustainability the investment put in is already paying beginning to pay dividends. That's two excellent performances from Erwin and Johnson that have gone out live on nationwide TV in recent weeks, not to mention the box of tricks last night that was Dom Thomas. Yes, Erwin still has to sign the deal that will give us bargaining power when it comes to a transfer fee but that would appear to be imminent.

In time those three alone could go some way to recouping the outlay that was invested to (hopefully) ensure our top flight place and make some strides into paying back the monies due to Messrs Boyle and Hutchinson.

• Like 1

It baffled me back in January that Baraclough got such a hard time from sections of our support, given the mess he inherited and the horrendous injury list that he had to deal with. It baffles me still further than some of these same people are still questioning the job he has done and is doing.

These people are keen to focus on the January/ February spell but let's not forget just how bad this team was July to December. That we were above the relegation zone in December was only because St Mirren and Ross County were in a sorry state at that time. The performances to that point (Dundee Utd at home apart) were dreadful. Remember also that 20-25 mins in under McCall performance levels were dropping because of a clear lack of fitness. This has nothing to do with not having money to spend in the transfer window.

The January/ February spell had more to do with what had gone before rather than what Baraclough was doing at that time. What Baraclough did do at that point was sow the seeds for the performances that we are now seeing. I will not list his achievements because anybody with a semblance of objectivity can see them clearly but for me the job Baraclough has done from the moment he arrived has been first class.

Somebody made the point about our team being a laughing stock on the radio in Jan/Feb. Why were they not a laughing stock when the same team were putting in inept performances under McCall? Why were Ross County not a laughing stock with their inept performances in the early days of McIntyre/ Dodds, why have St Mirren not been ridiculed for a season that has been terrible from start to finish? My answer to that is that these teams at these times were all run by managers that have allies in the media. Baraclough was an unknown Englishman being judged by a bunch of pundits whose knowledge of Motherwell is poor to non existent at the best of times.

Baraclough should be here next season SPFL or Championship if the current level of performance is maintained, that is unless someone bigger recognises his achievements and comes courting.

• Like 7

My eyebrows were most certainly raised when it was announced that Pearo was signing a two year deal.

I genuinely believed that he and McDonald would have a mutually beneficial spell with us this season where they raised their profile, proved their fitness and ability whilst they hopefully kept us up and they'd move on to bigger things again.

Pearo would not have been difficult to deal with. His new partner is expecting therefore he gets to be playing regularly whilst being here for the birth of his new born. There's no doubting he can earn more in 3 months in India than he can in a season here but I wouldn't imagine earning the highest wage available is his highest priority now.

Quite apart from the new players that were brought in, there is now much more fight and organisation than under Stuart McCall. The players' fitness has also improved. Existing players like Keith Lasley and Lionel Ainsworth are also playing much better. Thats down to Ian Baraclough and his assistant.

Yes he was given money to spend in January and he would appear to have used it well. Not all of our signings were intended to be short term either - some are for the future. Despite what was said on the BBC last night Gary Teale was also given money to spend (lads like Dayton, Arquin, Sadlier and Gow to name but four) but that doesn't guarantee success.

Last night it would have been so easy for IB to shut up shop after we went 2-0 up (remember the Stuart McCall days?) but he didn't and whats more made more or less like for like substitutions.

• Like 1

If I go to the bookies will they give me odds on us not to win another game this season? I'm deadly serious. I said this weeks ago and I wish i'd took a punt on it then.

You would be skint then eh ! :haha:

Ma Mrs works beside a Scunthorpe fan and apparently he was feckin hopeless with them. Lost about 90% of games there. Flow what were you thinking about bringing this numptie in as our manager. dry.gif

Thank fuk yer wife didn't do the interviews :girlcrazy:

Mccall didnt get a hard time from the press because like Butcher andMcleish before him he was a media darling.

You only have to look at the article halfway down the Motherwell page on the BBC sport website that confirms this statement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29886575

I listened to Sportsound on Sunday and I was sure Chic Young had a mouth full of McCall's tattie water, it was sychophantic.

With respect to Baraclough I think another factor that didn't help in his early days was another new manager got an immediate reaction. While Gary Locke didn't get many wins, he stopped the shipping of goals and got a number of draws to steady the ship. During the same period we went through our little horrendous run.

1 point from a possible 24. Not many managers survive that, no matter the circumstances. So I don't find it difficult at all to understand why folk wanted rid.

Absolutely delighted he has turned us around. Let's just hope it's not all in vain.