The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Quite. I get the impression that both Frear and now Tanner are speed merchants but we still lack a creative midfielder. Midfield is all about balance; the right mix of skills and talents if you like and over the past few seasons we just haven't got it right.

Good to see Carson sign. He seems a decent keeper.

Will be intriguing to see what formation we play next season. Reports from Hartlepool fans are that he's a very good keeper, so delighted with that. Especially the 3 year deal.

Delighted we're getting our business done this early - Robbo learning his lessons from having to throw his team together last minute at Oldham, perhaps?

I don't want to be a Jonah but 3 of the players we have signed are coming from relegated clubs. All the 4 signings look good on paper. Lets hope we are getting the best of a bad bunch!!!!! However, I am looking forward to this season as the club seems to be doing all the right things by getting business done early. I Know I know I am glass half empty kind of guy :tumbleweed:

From robbos interview, lasley did trigger another year on his playing contract, but it sounded very much like Robinson wants to switch him to a coaching role. He was also very clear that he's trying to move people out who "are on good money", but it's difficult. A pretty honest interview all told.

From robbos interview, lasley did trigger another year on his playing contract, but it sounded very much like Robinson wants to switch him to a coaching role. He was also very clear that he's trying to move people out who "are on good money", but it's difficult. A pretty honest interview all told.

Yeah, sounds like Robinson would rather have Lasley as a coach/assistant than a player.

Wonder who the attacking midfielder will be. Carey looks out of reach but Scougall is a possibility.

Interesting that Robinson is also pursuing players under contract.

I don't mind Las triggering an extension. He was set a target and bettered it.

I still don't believe for a second it was due to avoiding relegation.

I'd be stunned if that was a trigger for anyone but a manager.

I don't want to be a Jonah but 3 of the players we have signed are coming from relegated clubs. All the 4 signings look good on paper. Lets hope we are getting the best of a bad bunch!!!!! However, I am looking forward to this season as the club seems to be doing all the right things by getting business done early. I Know I know I am glass half empty kind of guy :tumbleweed:

And if we hadn't started playing half decent in the last few games, Moult, Skippy and McHugh would all have been part of a relegated team too.

I think talk of signing another 7-10 players is nonsense m, I'd say 3-4 more tops and even the higher end of that prediction would probably be on a one out one on basis and possibly include loans.

Quality over quantity should be the way to go.

Very much agree with quality over quantity but we have a lot to replace assuming Robinson manages to clear the deadwood.

3 signings this week all but confirmed. Fair few more to come.

Yeah, sounds like Robinson would rather have Lasley as a coach/assistant than a player.

Wonder who the attacking midfielder will be. Carey looks out of reach but Scougall is a possibility.

Interesting that Robinson is also pursuing players under contract.

Sounds like we won't need to wait too long to find out whether Scougall is the attacking midfielder or not...

Carson was Hartlepool's Player of the Year in 2015/16 and as this season only played two games after Christmas due to injury. Having only been narrowly relegated on the final day, you could argue that having their first choice keeper available may have helped them pick up an extra two points over the four months he was out.

Had a look at Fisher's stats. He only started nine games last season. Inverness won 7 games all season, 5 of them were when Fisher started. He also averaged a goal every 129 minutes, which really isn't bad for playing in such a bad team.

Bigirimana won Coventry's player of the year and although relegated, won the Checkatrade Trophy. Even despite his relegation, I think getting him amidst interest is a great coup.

The way we have conducted ourselves so far is making me inclined to be glass half full. Thought Robinson spoke very well in his interview and he did seem keen to point out it wasn't him who gave Lasley the clause in his contract.

Just caught up with new player and Robbo interviews ... really impressed, as well as quality as players he is obviously looking at character as well. Carson interview was particulary good.

I was at the Dunfermline u20 game a few days before the Dundee debacle and witnessed our management team turning up 30 mins late and generally joking about and not looking that interested in the game. I felt and remarked to friends it was all too complacent and I wanted to see more of a sense of urgency and professionalism.

I think we have got that with Robinson. I always felt second time round with McGhee he felt he had nothing to prove and could do enough to match our limited targets without breaking sweat, where Robinson has something to prove and looks very focussed and commited to the task in hand.

His man management in keeping a poor side up knowing so many were going to be binned but not dissing them in public was excellent. Now he will have his own picks in I think he will be demanding and fair..just the sort of gaffer thaf will get the best out of players

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

|If we had got relegated would that have made any club signing Moult to be signing a dud.

Am I correct in saying he said three signings in the next couple days, attaching midfielder I'm guessing is Scougall and the other signing Russell Griffiths so things are looking up for us right now, interesting as well he said he was going to be talking to people for the assistant job as well as expected Lasley and McManus, a new physio also

Just listened to Stephen Robinson's interview and although I've been unsure of him in the past he did speak well. Maybe significant he talked about strengthening both full back positions. Good to hear him say also that a club needs to do something different each year - I couldn't agree more. One things for sure, a club's competitors don't stand still.

The way we have conducted ourselves so far is making me inclined to be glass half full. Thought Robinson spoke very well in his interview and he did seem keen to point out it wasn't him who gave Lasley the clause in his contract.

We aren't in a debating league though. Every club in the land will be talking up their chances next season but few will be successful in achieving that. Talk is cheap and it's all about the results.

That's what Robinson will be measured on. Since I shell out on a season ticket I certainly hope he is successful but I want to see some real evidence of that first.

Am I reading things right? Lasley has triggered ANOTHER year contract? So much for the "Il only sign another contract if I feel Im good enough" shite.

Plodded through a 2 year contract miles off the pace,generally chasing shadows and unable to pass water and now were stuck paying him a first team wage for yet another year. Thankfully this time the closest he will hopefully get to the first team is being a water boy,but that makes the decision to offer such a contract to an 83 year old even more madness. Jobs for the boys indeed

And now the rant is out of the way. Good news on the keeper! Decent reports and looks very promising and I like the 3 year deal!

I was skeptical of Robinson and am still to be fully convinced its not bluster, but Ive been really impressed both with his transfer activity so far and his comments regarding his squad!

• Like 1

Am I reading things right? Lasley has triggered ANOTHER year contract?

Apparently so. I'm totally gobsmacked. Its not unlikely that Stephen Robinson will simply not play him unless in an emergency. He may of course play with Under 20s in a playing / coaching role.

Not wishing to sound negative but I'm going to remain quietly optimistic on who we have signed. I felt good this time last season when we signed a striker from the EPL champions so Il reserve all judgement until I see the new guys in action pre season

What I am pleased to see is that with almost every signing the teams they have come froms fans are sad to see them go which can only be a good thing

Also great to see us get some in early, think the benefits of which can't be underestimated when wishing to start the season positively.

Here's hoping the rest of the leagues recruitment is rotten in comparison

Really not concerned about Lasley triggering an extra year. I'd imagine his extension would've been triggered by a number of appearances (and Lasley made over 30 appearances last season because he was one of our best, if not our actual best, central midfielders).

With the way our midfield is shaping up currently, it is going to be very inexperienced (Elliot Frear the old head at 26...). Lasley being about to occasionally make a sub appearance when we're needing to dig in will be no bad thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be our new assistant manager/player. If not I'm sure he'll get more involved with the under 20's coaching.

• Like 1

Am I reading things right? Lasley has triggered ANOTHER year contract? So much for the "Il only sign another contract if I feel Im good enough" shite.

Plodded through a 2 year contract miles off the pace,generally chasing shadows and unable to pass water and now were stuck paying him a first team wage for yet another year. Thankfully this time the closest he will hopefully get to the first team is being a water boy,but that makes the decision to offer such a contract to an 83 year old even more madness. Jobs for the boys indeed

With all due respect this is rubbish.

Is Lasley the player he was? No. He was still worth a starting place though over younger midfielders who can't eclipse a 38 year old Lasley, never mind Lasley in his prime? Yes.

By the way after the winter break Lasley started 50% of the matches (9 from 18) but managed to feature in 80% of our victories (4 out of 5). What does that tell you? In case you can't extrapolate it, I'll tell you - we were much better with him in the team than without.

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic