The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Andy rose is 6ft 3 ? Is he the tallest midfielder we've had since Kevin twaddle ( if he was a midfielder, I was a little young to remember him other than the name. Wikipedia does list him as a winger/forward)

Edit: Forgot about Derek Townsley actually, around about the same time as Twaddle.

We need players that know the league. If we pick off 10 players from relegated League 1 and League 2 sides we are taking a huge risk, especially since Robinson's record in management isn't exactly sparkling.

Seems to me we are going down the Baraclough January route again. We only just got away with that the first time.

"Cross your fingers and hope this dressing room of strangers" gels looks like the grand plan.

I understand and share some of your concerns but you can't label a player based on one season that his club had. Particularly in the case of Carson and Rose when they missed large parts of that season. There are positives to be loozed at for most of the players..

Carson. Been in and around international squads. Highly rated by Hartlepool fans.

Bigirmana. Obviously had ability at a young age for Newcastle to spend cash on him. Seems to be rediscovering form.

Rose. Has spent most of his career in the US so only really been a league one player for the last season so to brand him 'another league one or league two playwr' to me is disingenuous. Also has played with Bigirmana so helps with hoping that the team gels. Hopefully brings a sense of athletic professionalism coming from the US.

Tanner. Young enough that he may be one we can develop like Marvin Johnson. Played with McHugh previously so again helps with gelling.

Fisher. Goals per starts in the SPL are pretty good.

Like I say, I don't expect all of them to be successful and have concerns about some of them but I wouldn't compare it to Baraclough's scattergun approach yet...

• Like 2

Slightly underwhelmed with today's business, two midfielders from a relegated club dosnt fill me with hope but will give them a chance.

Some of the names like Scougall and Greg Stewart mentioned and interview with Burrows saying he was excited dosnt seem to come to much, but maybe I'm just being negative

In fairness, that might just be more about what you know about the new signings, rather than anything Burrows said.

That's not a dig by the way! I know the square root of fuck all about English fitba. I've spent most of the day with absolutely no idea who £30m Jordan Pickford is.

But the things I've heard from mates who are into the game in England - and, conveniently, a couple who consider themselves Coventry "fans" - are all mostly positive, in particular with reference to Bigirimana who, by all accounts, seems to be a really great coup for us. I'd suggest that's worth getting excited about at least!

• Like 2

Good to see signings coming in however the midfield imbalance is slightly disconcerting.

In that I mean some off our best young prospects are midfielders i.e. Campbell, Hastie , Turnbull and Livingstone.

I just hope this doesn't limit their exposure further.

Craigan was saying at the end of the January window that he felt it'd have aided their development more if he could have got them out on loan but the squad size meant he couldn't so I'd think that it'd be more likely that we'd be looking to get them out and playing week in, week out.

I understand and share some of your concerns but you can't label a player based on one season that his club had. Particularly in the case of Carson and Rose when they missed large parts of that season. There are positives to be loozed at for most of the players..

Carson. Been in and around international squads. Highly rated by Hartlepool fans.

Bigirmana. Obviously had ability at a young age for Newcastle to spend cash on him. Seems to be rediscovering form.

Rose. Has spent most of his career in the US so only really been a league one player for the last season so to brand him 'another league one or league two playwr' to me is disingenuous. Also has played with Bigirmana so helps with hoping that the team gels. Hopefully brings a sense of athletic professionalism coming from the US.

Tanner. Young enough that he may be one we can develop like Marvin Johnson. Played with McHugh previously so again helps with gelling.

Fisher. Goals per starts in the SPL are pretty good.

Like I say, I don't expect all of them to be successful and have concerns about some of them but I wouldn't compare it to Baraclough's scattergun approach yet...

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

• Like 1

Slightly underwhelmed with today's business, two midfielders from a relegated club dosnt fill me with hope but will give them a chance.

Some of the names like Scougall and Greg Stewart mentioned and interview with Burrows saying he was excited dosnt seem to come to much, but maybe I'm just being negative

Completely agree

In fairness, that might just be more about what you know about the new signings, rather than anything Burrows said.

That's not a dig by the way! I know the square root of fuck all about English fitba. I've spent most of the day with absolutely no idea who £30m Jordan Pickford is.

But the things I've heard from mates who are into the game in England - and, conveniently, a couple who consider themselves Coventry "fans" - are all mostly positive, in particular with reference to Bigirimana who, by all accounts, seems to be a really great coup for us. I'd suggest that's worth getting excited about at least!

Agree with your points Jay I think I was expecting Scougall today but hoping for a signing that would get fans excited they might all turn out to be Louis Moult type signing you never know

If you were genuinely expecting us to sign the likes of Stewart and Scougall then you've obviously not been paying much attention to our current financial situation. I mean for fuck sake Greg Stewart will be on at least 5k a week at Birmingham, while we're having to convince the likes of Trevor Carson to turn down more money to stay with Hartlepool in the Conference in order to come here. I've no idea if most of these guys are any good but agree largely with what Melvin said above, you can make a case for all of them and they at least seem to be a bit more convincing than our bargain basement shopping last summer.

Conference reject Clay, Lee sicknote Lucas, Luka Belic(mind him?), fucking Blyth and Bowman with their one goal from open play between them. I think with a few of these signings the club have shown a bit of ambition, it sounds like they've even managed to convince Bigirimana and Fisher to turn down more lucrative offers elsewhere to sign on here. They've also went out and paid a fee for an experienced keeper which is encouraging because it's a problem position we've failed to address for years.

Not knocking anyone like, cause it's nice to dream and I'd love to see players of proven quality like Scougall and Stewart signing up at Fir Park but I'm afraid we ain't got the money to compete for those types of signings and our best hope of getting players of that quality is by unearthing them ourselves like we did with Moult and Johnson or producing them through our own youth system.

• Like 4

If you were genuinely expecting us to sign the likes of Stewart and Scougall then you've obviously not been paying much attention to our current financial situation. I mean for fuck sake Greg Stewart will be on at least 5k a week at Birmingham, while we're having to convince the likes of Trevor Carson to turn down more money to stay with Hartlepool in the Conference in order to come here. I've no idea if most of these guys are any good but agree largely with what Melvin said above, you can make a case for all of them and they at least seem to be a bit more convincing than our bargain basement shopping last summer.

Conference reject Clay, Lee sicknote Lucas, Luka Belic(mind him?), fucking Blyth and Bowman with their one goal from open play between them. I think with a few of these signings the club have shown a bit of ambition, it sounds like they've even managed to convince Bigirimana and Fisher to turn down more lucrative offers elsewhere to sign on here. They've also went out and paid a fee for an experienced keeper which is encouraging because it's a problem position we've failed to address for years.

Not knocking anyone like, cause it's nice to dream and I'd love to see players of proven quality like Scougall and Stewart signing up at Fir Park but I'm afraid we ain't got the money to compete for those types of signings and our best hope of getting players of that quality is by unearthing them ourselves like we did with Moult and Johnson or producing them through our own youth system.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Burrows confirmed on twitter that the delay in naming the new left sided defender relates to injury/fitness.

Shame, I was hoping we'd prioritise left back for a bit of proven quality.

Maybe it's a bit of proven quality that's recovering from injury...
  • Like 1

I also agree with your points possibly my wording expecting should be changed to hope, think the whole left sided defender would have been better left alone think that added to my negativity

Players in the same bracket as Scougall and Stewart shouldn't be wildly out of reach. While our budget will be tight, we have lost 2 of our biggest earners and there is more money than usual floating about Scottish football this summer courtesy of the TV deal and Celtic.

Regarding the players mentioned, Scougall has said he's considering offers from Scotland. Stewart meanwhile will probably come back up the road on loan with someone playing a fraction of his wage. There will obviously be plenty of competition for him though.

From reading Twitter, seems only defenders and a goalie to bring in.

If that's the case Rose must be the attacking midfielder.

Flow said 5+more, which seems to me it will be a goalie, the left back in that statement, Centre Back(X2) and I think the Attacking midfield will still come in

From reading Twitter, seems only defenders and a goalie to bring in.

If that's the case Rose must be the attacking midfielder.

I had noticed that too. Means unlikely to be a McDonald replacement until we move on Blyth or Bowman.

Concern about the balance of the midfield in that most of our central midfielders are deep lying or defensive in nature...

• Andy_P locked this topic