The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Burrows confirmed on twitter that the delay in naming the new left sided defender relates to injury/fitness.

Shame, I was hoping we'd prioritise left back for a bit of proven quality.

The order in which players arriving are announced doesn't reflect our priority. It only reflects how quickly we were able to finalize contracts.

A pacy forward was mentioned somewhere along the line too....

Indeed. I don't so much have concerns over the quality of the squad as the balance between types of players. In the centre forward and centre of midfield, we seem to have a surplus of a certain type of player and a real lack of other types. If, of course, Rose and Bigirmana are deep lying or defensive types...

Or he's a decent player who's coming back from an injury but we don't want to commit to a Prodan?

Possibly. I have reservations over the quality of player that is willing to tie himself down to a trial at this point of the summer. Probably reading too much into it mind you.

From what I've read on here and by flow, is that we've agreed to sign the player which means he's not allowed to talk to other clubs and then he'll come with us for pre season and once he's fit we will announce it

In which case why not just announce it? My interpretation (which could be completely wrong) is that we've agreed a deal in principle that's subject to the player proving his fitness over pre-season.

From what I've read on here and by flow, is that we've agreed to sign the player which means he's not allowed to talk to other clubs and then he'll come with us for pre season and once he's fit we will announce it

"effectively agreed" are the words he used. I'd imagine if the player can't make it through pre-season and a medical then he'll be dumped.

I know lots of people are desperate for the next 5 signings to be announced ASAP, but to have 5 (6 if we're including this defender) signed before the middle of June is fantastic work. Especially if you consider we only knew we were going to be in this division exactly 4 weeks ago. We've a month until our first competitive game, 7.5 weeks until our first league game and the best part of 3 months until the transfer window shuts. Tonnes of time for some wheeling and dealing!

• Like 8

Possibly. I have reservations over the quality of player that is willing to tie himself down to a trial at this point of the summer. Probably reading too much into it mind you.

As a hypothetical or for instance, you've got someone like Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. Experienced player at this level with Thistle, went to Wigan in the Championship, played with Doncaster in League 1. Decent height, pace (certainly he did have pre-injury) but his knee fell to bits and he only just came back and played a handful of games at the tail end of the season so you could understand how there would be a question over his fitness.

As far as I'm aware he's still out of contract. Rumour was he was on trial at Tannadice. United have just signed Tam Scobbie. I've no idea if Taylor-Sinclair fits the bill as an improvement for our left back position but it doesn't seem that outrageous a shout that we might be looking at a player of his ilk or someone who's in a similar situation.

Alternatively we may just have got this year's Lee Lucas on board. I guess we'll just have wait and see.

• Like 1

Complaints not just about the quality of a guy whose identity we don't know combined with complaints about the nature of his contract and the way we announced it, are why I try and avoid this thread over the summer.

When the club keep things quiet, people complain aboit lack of activity. When they communicate their intentions, it's still not good enough.

We will likely still be doing business in August.

Everybody relax and enjoy your holidays - then enjoy the new team, new pitch and new roof when you get back.

• Like 8

We need players that know the league. If we pick off 10 players from relegated League 1 and League 2 sides we are taking a huge risk, especially since Robinson's record in management isn't exactly sparkling.

Seems to me we are going down the Baraclough January route again. We only just got away with that the first time.

"Cross your fingers and hope this dressing room of strangers" gels looks like the grand plan.

Jesus wept
  • Like 1

We need players that know the league. If we pick off 10 players from relegated League 1 and League 2 sides we are taking a huge risk, especially since Robinson's record in management isn't exactly sparkling.

Seems to me we are going down the Baraclough January route again. We only just got away with that the first time.

"Cross your fingers and hope this dressing room of strangers" gels looks like the grand plan.

YB I have always enjoyed reading your opinions (whether or not I agreed with them) which are well thought through reasonable and always articulated very well. I am however a bit taken aback at how negative you are in this one. Time will tell I guess

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

YB I have always enjoyed reading your opinions (whether or not I agreed with them) which are well thought through reasonable and always articulated very well. I am however a bit taken aback at how negative you are in this one. Time will tell I guess

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Agree with this.

It's an uncharacteristic leap to assume we will sign 10 from relegated teams. Equally no one can assume (as a few have) that all of those coming from relegated teams are by default no hopers.

Where there is cause for debate is what kind of midfield and ultimately formation Robbo envisages playing? Several midfielders signed and big question marks over the future of those (presently) remaining at the club.

To be honest, I don't really care where any of our new signings come from, what league they've played in or whether they're Northern Irish. So long as they work hard for the jersey and make an improvement on last season then I'll be a happy boy. I must confess, I'm still not convinced on whether I think Robbo is up to the job but given the fact that he got an utter shite Motherwell team to survival and the vigour by which he has sought to address the very obvious shortcomings of a weak midfield, he deserves time at least.

I appreciate that Baraclough also got a shite Motherwell team over the line and also had the gift of the gab, but he had much greater resource than Robinson so I do suspect it may be a little unfair to draw comparisons. The manner by which the manager has done his business thus far is encouraging and I suspect there will be a fair bit more comings and goings before the window shuts. I see little point in criticising what has been signed until we see what we have and how they play.

I'll be feeling a lot more judgey come January 2018

On the back of yesterday, where are we looking to still recruit?

We still need a second goalkeeper - which I assume is Griffiths.

Left back looks to be covered but we still need a Centre half (if we look to have mchugh and McManus as backup).

In my opinion, we still need to see a new number 10 brought in and another forward.

With the amount of midfielders we've recruited, I'm guessing we will see clay moved on, together with Blythe and Bowman.

Assuming that a couple of the younger guys go on loan -such as Gordon - this should see us operating with a squad of around 18 which should be sufficient as correct for a club of our size.

This also assumes that Lasley will be Robinsons new assistant /head coach.

If we're worried about players who were signed from relegated teams, I'll presume you wanted rid of McDonald (his Millwall team went down), Ojaama (his RoPS, whoever they are, went down), Ainsworth (Aldershot went down), Higdon (survived *just* with St Mirren)...

So yeah. Ups and downs from that, I reckon.

The kids aren't add ons. Adults and kids tickets are in conjunction with one another. The weans get their own ticket and have done for the last eight years the scheme has been in operation.

This forum should........Yes you are a bit of a broken road for the umpeenth time mistaking a couple of folk keeping an eye on an unofficial forum with the work of a football club's marketing department.

And I'll repeat again what I said the last time your came away with the Mods do this, Mods do that rant. What's stopping you doing it if you feel it merits it? The floor is yours. Nobody is stopping you.

And better still rather than lecturing other posters when they don't share your enthusiasm for the marketing gospel according to CMWellfan have you actually taken your ideas and suggestions to the folk at the Well Society and the club itself?

Exiles Club the WS recently launched - idea from a supporter. Flexi Ticket the club launched a year or two back - idea from a supporter. So if you do forward your suggestions to the appropriate people and they find some merit in them the chances are you'll get a fair hearing with folk that are actually in a position to implement some of what you demand.

Not been on for a few days - this is a sensational post!

I was just going by this post.

From reading Twitter, seems only defenders and a goalie to bring in.

If that's the case Rose must be the attacking midfielder.

If this is the case then season 2017/18 looks like it will be the same as 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17 where the manager fails to bring in a creative midfielder and pays the price for it.

Given Robinson's style of football at Oldham and with us there is a question mark about his ability to get us playing football. An attacking midfielder should have been the first priority.

If Robinson goes into the season thinking he can rely on Frear, Cadden and Tanner for creativity he won't be here at Christmas.

Cadden was playing right back or right wing back for the second half of the season, unfair to judge.

Frear was involved in five of our last six goals of last season.

Tanner hasn't kicked a ball for us yet.

While you may be right, do you think you might be rushing to judgement..?

• Like 1

I was just going by this post.

If this is the case then season 2017/18 looks like it will be the same as 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17 where the manager fails to bring in a creative midfielder and pays the price for it.

Given Robinson's style of football at Oldham and with us there is a question mark about his ability to get us playing football. An attacking midfielder should have been the first priority.

Is Tanner not an attacking midfielder?

For all we know Bigirimana could be the Burundian Pirlo.

Cadden was playing right back or right wing back for the second half of the season, unfair to judge.

Frear was involved in five of our last six goals of last season.

Tanner hasn't kicked a ball for us yet.

While you may be right, do you think you might be rushing to judgement..?

Steelboy rushing to judge someone? NEVER.

• Andy_P locked this topic