The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I wasn't meaning those players won't contribute.

I just think we need someone who is more of a play maker in midfield who can bring us up the park without relying on the long ball dross we saw in the run in. Frear definitely doesn't fit the bill, Cadden might eventually but hasn't shown it yet and Tanner seems like a final third player.

Can't understand the thought Frear won't help the creative side of things. Sure he was involved in something like 60% of our goals since he came in.

I like the look of him.

As you said though he certainly isn't a midfield playmaker (in the sense of the usual assumed central mid/attacking CM that springs to mind) but I think he'll do well.

I am surprisingly looking forward to the new season in a positive light. Dunno why.

• Like 1

I was just going by this post.

If this is the case then season 2017/18 looks like it will be the same as 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17 where the manager fails to bring in a creative midfielder and pays the price for it.

Given Robinson's style of football at Oldham and with us there is a question mark about his ability to get us playing football. An attacking midfielder should have been the first priority.

What makes you think it is not the first priority?

We'll hopefully get clarification whether Rose is the attacking midfielder. Hopefully not.

I think most would agree with Steelboy, that we need a creative midfielder with a bit of guile to drag the team up the park and open up defences. Frear and Cadden can be excellent attacking outlets but they would benefit greatly from a Nicky Law type pulling the strings. This is why names like Scougall and Carey excite me.

Is Tanner not an attacking midfielder?

For all we know Bigirimana could be the Burundian Pirlo.

Sometimes I think the club doesn't do itself any favours by being open and upfront about what it's trying to do. When we announced the new sponsorship last week, Robinson openly said they were close to a deal for another goalkeeper and an attacking midfielder. It tends to mean that when these signings don't materialise right away, fans start moaning (I include myself in that).

On the specifics of an attacking or creative midfielder, it may be that Robinson sees something in Rose that makes him think he can play in a more attacking role than he has done previously. In terms of a creative role, when we signed Bigirimana the manager did say that he thought he would give us better control of games. Certainly sounds like he thinks that he's someone that can dictate play and put us on the front foot, albeit from a deeper position. Could he be a creative player in this sense (thinking Charlie Adam at Blackpool).

The questions that the last week have raised for me are...

Is Rose the attacking midfielder we were going to sign?

Are we going to sign a striker more in the McDonald mould or do we have to move on Blyth or Bowman to do so? Or will we play Tanner in this role?

These aren't questions born out of concerns about the quality of players we're signing, more the types of players...

• Like 3

We'll hopefully get clarification whether Rose is the attacking midfielder. Hopefully not.

I think that's the question most of us have regarding signings.

As I said in my previous post, I suspect that Robinson may see Bigirimana as someone who can dictate games for us. Is this the same as providing guile and creativity? Maybe not but if it gives us control of the ball and he can feed the likes of Frear, Cadden and Tanner then it would be a start. Too often last season, we were a long ball/counterattacking team simply because we didn't have enough in the middle of the park, physically or ability wise, to use the midfield. If the likes of McHugh, Bigirimana and Rose can actually win the physical battle in there and get the ball into forward areas, that would be half the battle offensively. Also would hopefully take pressure off the defence...

I think that's the answer.

I reckon that might be the case. Concern there is only 9 goals over the past two seasons. Looking closer he's only started 33 games (although has made roughly the same number of sub appearances). Not a fantastic return but if playing as a winger, 9 in 33 isn't terrible. Obviously I have no idea how long his sub appearances were so reluctant to include or exclude them to give a better idea of his average...

I reckon that might be the case. Concern there is only 9 goals over the past two seasons. Looking closer he's only started 33 games (although has made roughly the same number of sub appearances). Not a fantastic return but if playing as a winger, 9 in 33 isn't terrible. Obviously I have no idea how long his sub appearances were so reluctant to include or exclude them to give a better idea of his average...

Replacing the quality of McDonald with a player who wasn't wanted by Plymouth and replaced by Ainsworth, I can't see it.

I've no idea who we're targeting and who we're not but is there not an argument that Tanner is, broadly speaking, a more cost effective replacement for Ainsworth than McDonald?

You can actually go through the list of players we've released and tick a like for like replacement or upgrade.

Samson > Carson

Pearson > Rose

Lucas > Bigirimana

Ainsworth > Tanner

Jules/Chalmers > as yet unnamed left sided defender

If we're planning on moving Blyth on then Fisher falls more into that category than a like for like with McDonald.

So on and so forth...

The reason I pick up on that is that from what Plymouth fans said about Tanner he seemed to be used as a winger and often as an impact sub. I'm sure he can play as a #10 or the McDonald role but thinking back to January when it transpires McDonald was edging out the door it'd seem that we were looking at Ciftci to replace him, possibly O'Halloran and I seem to recall some vague mentions on Twitter of Ryan Christie. I could be miles out but it's fair to say none of the players we've brought in thus far match McDonald in terms of influence or role. Which is why he's going to be such a difficult player to replace.

It then becomes a case of persuading a player of that ilk to the club and most of them will have plenty offers on the table, going by what I've read about Scougall he's got his pick of teams he could join. I'm sure the various other players in that mould won't be short of options. We can pitch Motherwell to them as best we can but when it comes down to it, it's going to be the player's decision.

• Like 1

Anyone please feel free to copy ,keep and paste fora midway thru the new season post " I told yous aw he wiz shite when we signed him ". I trust the manager has a plan that we are no privy to. He has started to rebuild straight away and atually taken an intrest in his team , which is a step up from McGhee. Ill leave judgement till iv seen them play thanks.

The Sun reporting that Ben Henegan is a target for Burnley! Also says Norwich and Cardiff are weighing up moves for him!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3798532/burnley-eye-up-deal-for-motherwell-defender-ben-heneghan

Probably a good point to mention that The Sun also had us signing Willo Flood.

Having said that though...take the money etc.

Not that I'm necessarily putting too much stock in the story from that rag, but given he was linked with Rangers already, what would people think would be a decent fee for Heneghan?

Petrol money.

Not that I'm necessarily putting too much stock in the story from that rag, but given he was linked with Rangers already, what would people think would be a decent fee for Heneghan?

Think most fans wouldn't be upset at seeing him leave for £250k. If the rumoured interest is anywhere near genuine, competition could see us get closer to £400k.

Worth bearing in mind that Burnley are about to sell Michael Keane for £25mil.

Probably a good point to mention that The Sun also had us signing Willo Flood.

Having said that though...take the money etc.

This is the greatest deception since the Allies fooled the Germans into thinking D Day would be at Calais.

I see Dundee have signed Scott Allan on loan good signing for them would have been decent for us IMO but maybe the players signed will be just as good

I tend to agree, would be good to get a player of that type of quality in. Not sure if his attitude is the greatest though, heard whispers that he is a wee fanny. Don't think he got on well with folk down at Rotherham either. I think this is the sort of market we should be in. Probably unlikely but GMS or someone like this on loan would be a shout.

• Andy_P locked this topic