International Players Thread

GazzyB

12 minutes ago, stv said:

Fraid hes not an international keeper , watching the ball all the way across him for that goal. Seen him do that for us. Hope he gets a chance to show a bit more in second half.

He is an international keeper officially after tonight but just not a good one, the same criteria that applies to all of the Scotland squad 👍

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Any player from the following teams, Brazil,  Spain, France, Germany,  England,  Italy, Argentina etc, etc basically all of the teams above Scotland in the Fifa rankings.

Do you apply the same criteria to club players - anyone not at the very top level isn't good?

Having watched Italy tonight, their current team is clearly not at the same level as England. Our lot have struggled badly in the last 3 games, but you couldn't have picked harder European opponents than England, Spain & France right now. I'd say some of the Scotland squad have shown they're good by qualifying, but the top guys are excellent.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Any player from the following teams, Brazil,  Spain, France, Germany,  England,  Italy, Argentina etc, etc basically all of the teams above Scotland in the Fifa rankings.

Does that include Harry Maguire?

• Thanks 1

I thought the second-string squad played quite well last night (for the most part) as they executed their game plan, but were just completely undone by the quality of the French players. I also don't think either keeper was at fault for any of the goals conceded, but it must be tough for Kelly to have had three go in against him on his senior debut. 

Does anyone know how much the Club is likely to financially benefit (be compensated for) from having Liam Kelly in the squad for Euro 2024 qualification?

I know national teams earn money from UEFA and then they pay their players a fee, but each club also receives a fee for releasing their players to their national team.

I assume the Club would also be compensated should Kelly be in the squad that goes to Germany next summer 🤞 Although, that depends on if he's still with us next summer and the Craig Gordon situation.  

https://www.uefa.com/returntoplay/news/0274-14dc1ba1e69e-5f8560c74c66-1000--euro-2024-club-benefits-programme-approved/

Given that he'll be OOC we'll probably have to give him a good wedge of it to re-sign or we'll get nothing. 

I think he will stay. I don't see him getting any offers from England or Scotland that would pay more and guarantee first team football. I doubt he will do a Gillespie and become a professional backup. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Given that he'll be OOC we'll probably have to give him a good wedge of it to re-sign or we'll get nothing. 

I think he will stay. I don't see him getting any offers from England or Scotland that would pay more and guarantee first team football. I doubt he will do a Gillespie and become a professional backup. 

If Kelly wanted test the market as a free agent, which would be sensible, he could agree to extend his existing contract to mid July including an agreement that he gets a cut of any Euro bonus we receive. That way he gets the best of both worlds and Motherwell would also benefit if he is selected. Did we not have such an arrangement with Gallagher covering the last Euros?

But that might not be required even if Kelly is OOC. Not sure if the same applies under UEFA criteria and so for the Euros, but for World Cup squad players a payment is made by FIFA to the club(s) who held a player's registration for the two years prior to his country being eliminated from the finals tournament. If that criteria applies this summer, then we are well placed. And we would also be due a cut if Max Johnson made the squad.