2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

I know there will be those who will have a go at me for this post but I couldn’t care.

If Stevie Hammell seriously thinks our situation will be improved by players like this, even on loan, then I’m afraid we will be playing in the Championship next season!

Two wingers. Really! We’ve already got one on loan - James McKinstry.

No disrespect to these two guys, but one by his own admission can’t get a start in a team that plays in what is really the old English 3rd division and the other is a 21-year old rookie with only 7 games under his belt.

Utterly bewildering!!

Yes, you're right, people will have a pop at you...at least let them set foot on the bloody park before you write them off

I do think our scouting network has went down since Alexander took over the changes that were made has hit us right in the pocket backfired big time.

Prime example Slattery he was probably bought to sell on by this point on the football side of things not progressing way the club thought.

And this all comes back to the manager appointment aswell you get team winning playing well then players values go up and right now our stocks are so low you couldn't give them away.

No concerns with the player's we've been linked with , understand the level we're at. 

I'm with @El Grew  re why we're signing wingers - that for me isn't the area to improve. Maybe 1 but not 2. 

The issue to solve is stopping the rot at the back. 

There may be more players to be signed,  ideally defensive players come through. Central defensive and holding midfielder.

I''d be hoppy to look at some from the Scottish championship and do swaps with likes of S'OD ,  Shields, Maguire etc - pretty sure people would be willing to trade with us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Can I use an example and mention York city yet again, playing at National league level. Shaqai Forde has just come in on a season long loan from Watford, four goals in one and a half games, will probably end up playing in the Premiership. Olli Tanner a winger from Cardiff, came on for them against Leeds last week again on a season long loan, turned down a move to Spurs, young and highly rated. York’s average attendance is around 5k this season, why can’t Motherwell look to players like this ?

Not sure what the financial situation is at York notwithstanding the similar  level of crowds as ourselves. Question that occurs to me is.... What level of wages are York paying those two players in the hope of promotion? I would guess the players  are on a decent wages at their parent clubs and York will likely be taking on a fair % of that total. Sadly, perhaps that is something we are not in a position to match.

Not that long ago Salford, then National League or lower were able to outbid SPL sides like Aberdeen. Similarly Wrexham the past few seasons. Not saying York have a rich benefactor but finances might be the issue that limits us.

32 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Not sure what the financial situation is at York notwithstanding the similar  level of crowds as ourselves. Question that occurs to me is.... What level of wages are York paying those two players in the hope of promotion? I would guess the players  are on a decent wages at their parent clubs and York will likely be taking on a fair % of that total. Sadly, perhaps that is something we are not in a position to match.

Not that long ago Salford, then National League or lower were able to outbid SPL sides like Aberdeen. Similarly Wrexham the past few seasons. Not saying York have a rich benefactor but finances might be the issue that limits us.

The York chairman has stated they are cheap options with the two of them costing less than one player signed from a second division club at the start of the season, cheap is of course relative. York is 49% percent fan owned and the chairman does not bankroll them, they are not Wrexham. The National league is full of clubs big and small loaning young hungry championship and premiership players looking to move from playing in reserve and academy football to full time mens football. What they have is a manager who was coaching and recruiting under Pochettino at Spurs and at Leeds, he appears to have lots of contacts and a knowledge of young exiting  players who have developed over the last 10 years or so, in that there is an advantage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Grew said:

I know there will be those who will have a go at me for this post but I couldn’t care.

If Stevie Hammell seriously thinks our situation will be improved by players like this, even on loan, then I’m afraid we will be playing in the Championship next season!

Two wingers. Really! We’ve already got one on loan - James McKinstry.

No disrespect to these two guys, but one by his own admission can’t get a start in a team that plays in what is really the old English 3rd division and the other is a 21-year old rookie with only 7 games under his belt.

Utterly bewildering!!

Crankshaw has a record of 25 goals in 53 starts by the looks of Soccerbase, which works out at a goal every two games almost. That's a record that's not to be sniffed at, especially in the January window where the only players available usually are those that clubs can't wait to get rid of, or players who don't have a club and couldn't find one in the summer.

By the sounds of it we've managed to stumble upon this lad, who hit 11 goals last season for Stockport in the National League before the manager changed system this season which saw his opportunities limited. 

He's not a guarantee of goals, but he's a decent gamble worth a shot in a window where business is hard to do, especially for clubs like us. He's clearly looking to get himself in the window and look for a move if things aren't working at Stockport. If we benefit from a few goals and he helps keep us up, then all the better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Premiership pedantry in operation are you weeyin in disguise? 😀

Sadly my teen years were spent watching York propping the division up applying for re-election from it. Miserably times football wise going to night games in January with 1200 other people.

19 hours ago, David said:

Crankshaw has a record of 25 goals in 53 starts by the looks of Soccerbase, which works out at a goal every two games almost. That's a record that's not to be sniffed at, especially in the January window where the only players available usually are those that clubs can't wait to get rid of, or players who don't have a club and couldn't find one in the summer.

Nobody can fail to be impressed by those stats. That’s a signing coup right there.

BREAKING: MOTHERWELL AGREE DEAL TO SIGN MANDRON

Motherwell have agreed a deal to sign Gillingham striker Mikael Mandron on a permanent basis, sources have told FOOTBALL INSIDER.

The Scottish Premiership side have been in the market for a new centre-forward this month and have struck a deal for the 28-year-old.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigmack said:

BREAKING: MOTHERWELL AGREE DEAL TO SIGN MANDRON

Motherwell have agreed a deal to sign Gillingham striker Mikael Mandron on a permanent basis, sources have told FOOTBALL INSIDER.

The Scottish Premiership side have been in the market for a new centre-forward this month and have struck a deal for the 28-year-old.

Born in France but has represented Scotland!

1 hour ago, David said:

And although maybe not as big an issue, higher earners pay more tax up here in Scotland as well I believe.

Yes, forgot all about that. Could well be a factor in football as it is in other industries. It certainly won't help our recruiters. 

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

The York chairman has stated they are cheap options with the two of them costing less than one player signed from a second division club at the start of the season, cheap is of course relative. York is 49% percent fan owned and the chairman does not bankroll them, they are not Wrexham. The National league is full of clubs big and small loaning young hungry championship and premiership players looking to move from playing in reserve and academy football to full time mens football. What they have is a manager who was coaching and recruiting under Pochettino at Spurs and at Leeds, he appears to have lots of contacts and a knowledge of young exiting  players who have developed over the last 10 years or so, in that there is an advantage.

Totally agree with that we should be looking at all options especially in January where players generally tend to be more available on loan from under 21 teams. We played spurs in a friendly last month so you’d have thought hammell would have had a word while down there about possibly seeing who was available. Even clubs closer to us like Newcastle etc it isn’t too far for lads to move up here and be far from home either. 

Regards to Crankshaw he was pretty highly rated at Wigan and did very well last season in the national league which is where we have seen success when poaching players. We all know the funds we have and players we tend to go for, it’s nice to get players who are playing regular but again as known it’s difficult in this window. Hopefully one more forward addition and we as fans can all see we need a leader or 2, preferably the right side of defence and the middle of the park. 

34 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

But of a strange one, Gillingham are bottom of league two and he’s scored one league goal all season, difficult to find much positivity on the Gillingham forum from having a quick look. Not sure if Hammell knows the guy.

When the notification came up on Twitter there all I saw at first was the name Mikael. I immediately thought we’d re-signed Ndjoli. Fortunately not though.

• David locked this topic