Motherwell v St Mirren 16/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

We really did keep it simple, and while we were hardly silky, the new shape halped us play to our strengths a bit more, as well as nullify st mirren a little.

Not going to drink the whole bottle of champagne, but that was a huge win and fair play to the likes of Spittal and Goss who dug in.

Johnstone is a great wee player, definitely cemented himself in that right back position for me. Centre of defence and left back still give me fear but they might improve with more games.

van veen was excellent, and incredibly so was spittal. Liked the look of aitchison when he came on and Cornelius put in a good shift.

if they all put in that level of effort for the remaining games we’ll pick up points. 

• Like 1

Best I’ve seen Big Kev play for a while, midfield still let back line down, would be good to get butcher in midfield as he talks and controls game well, Obika is pish, offered zero, can’t jump doesn’t run to press, and for a big guy can’t even hold up the ball, but Spittal man of the match, must have been at a different game from me, as all he done is put balls out for a throw in.

11 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We really did keep it simple, and while we were hardly silky, the new shape halped us play to our strengths a bit more, as well as nullify st mirren a little.

Not going to drink the whole bottle of champagne, but that was a huge win and fair play to the likes of Spittal and Goss who dug in.

why did they 2 only start playing tonight ????????    mday help me pull stevie out from under that bus

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure about Furlong at left full back. Cornelius struggling. Noticeably much more effort from KVV. Carson didn’t look too good at either of our goals. 
COYW. Need to make and convert more chances. 

I thought that with furlong in 1st half,but done well enough 2nd half

6 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Best I’ve seen Big Kev play for a while, midfield still let back line down, would be good to get butcher in midfield as he talks and controls game well, Obika is pish, offered zero, can’t jump doesn’t run to press, and for a big guy can’t even hold up the ball, but Spittal man of the match, must have been at a different game from me, as all he done is put balls out for a throw in.

I'm sorry, big man, but you are having a laugh. I was really unimpressed to see Obika in the lineup, for me he's offered nothing any time he's played so far but tonight I thought he and Van Veen linked well (particularly in the second half).I think the key is to give him the ball to his chest. Number of times he took it and held off a defender before giving it to a Motherwell player...  And as for Spittal? He set up the first goal and had another couple of good balls cut out by defenders. Did he misplace a pass or two? Aye, find me a player who didn't...

I know we all see the game differently but come on...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm sorry, big man, but you are having a laugh. I was really unimpressed to see Obika in the lineup, for me he's offered nothing any time he's played so far but tonight I thought he and Van Veen linked well (particularly in the second half).I think the key is to give him the ball to his chest. Number of times he took it and held off a defender before giving it to a Motherwell player...  And as for Spittal? He set up the first goal and had another couple of good balls cut out by defenders. Did he misplace a pass or two? Aye, find me a player who didn't...

Must have been at a different game to me, Obika was slow couldn’t jump for any challenges and never chased down any balls put out from the back, but if you think he played well then we will agree to disagree 👍🏻

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Looked as though Kettlewell’s objective was not to lose the game. tonight.

It was a really turgid football match but a very welcome win and 3 points.

Puram et ferent ad sidera.

Are you bloody diiilerixic

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

i waiting on spittal doing what happend at the end of scobby doo   and pealing of his spittal face mask to reveal   feckin scott brown or somebody

• Haha 2

Oh well how good was that tonight?  Miles better certainly from effort perspective but frustrating that effort wasn't their in previous games, anyway moving on.

Goss Spittal and KVV miles better for effort with Spittal excellent.  Butcher and Casey look really good no nonsense signings and young furlong came onto a game. Johnson and Cornelius loads of effort.  Obika for a big man doesn't jump well but good on the ground.  Loved Kelly doing his Allan McGregor impression and time wasting.

My one negative was the booing when SOD came on. Jeez get a grip, I know he hasn't been playing well but are we at the stage where we boo guys wearing our own jersey!! Come on.

And I hope buddies are paying Watt's full wage, jeez a shadow of the player that played for us

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stevie73 said:

Must have been at a different game to me, Obika was slow couldn’t jump for any challenges and never chased down any balls put out from the back, but if you think he played well then we will agree to disagree 👍🏻

I don't disagree that he didn't chase any balls down or win a header. On the first issue, not really his strength, no point having a slow striker pressing. On the second, Obika is 6ft tall. Gallagher is 6ft5 (I think) and Taylor is 6ft2. As soon as we starting playing the ball to his chest, he was holding them off and laying it off to Johnston, the midfield and Van Veen. Was he fantastic? No, but he wasn't dreadful either...

• Like 6