Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

11 hours ago, MJC said:

Yeah because having a manager who ‘loves’ Rangers is the worst thing we could have right now eh? It’s not as if we’ve ever done okay with ex Rangers players as managers in the past or anything. You know like an ex-Rangers player overseeing a Scottish Cup win or another ex-Rangers player taking us from the brink of extinction to top six and a League Cup Final? Or yet another one guiding us to 3rd, 2nd and 2nd again?

Nah, lets not get anyone in who has a previous connection with Rangers.

”Announce Lennon!”

You also forgot one of those saved us from relegation through the playoffs the last time as well....... :)

5 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

You also forgot one of those saved us from relegation through the playoffs the last time as well....... :)

Of course. Him being in charge of Rangers in that playoff made pumping them even more sweeter.

I was never a fan of Stuart McCall, but unlike some of the wahoos in our support who disliked him simply because he was an ex-Rangers player, I just think he blew our best chance of winning a trophy again with his inability to get his teams to perform when it really mattered. I certainly wouldn’t want Stuart McCall back in charge just now, for the reason I just mentioned.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think there's merit in appointing someone on a temporary basis to get us out of the mire. That might not be the same type of manager to take us forward long term. What we need right now is an experienced motivator who can organise a team in a dogfight.  

I think it may be the case that we cannot afford to give a new manager a long-term deal until our Premiership status is secure. I also think that should be the approach taken by the Board, even if we can afford a long-term deal. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

That’s not unusual, but, it’s being reported wrongly elsewhere.

If it is a normal scheduled meeting I would assume that given the present circumstances there would only be 1 item up for discussion, who is in the frame for the managers job. The board can't dither or delay on this as whoever comes in needs as much time as they can get from the games remaining to keep us in the premiership.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think there's merit in appointing someone on a temporary basis to get us out of the mire. That might not be the same type of manager to take us forward long term. What we need right now is an experienced motivator who can organise a team in a dogfight.  

Totally agree Kmcalpin. As you say, get someone in with only one objective - keep us up.  Give him a short contract to the end of the season with only one string attached - if he keeps us up, he gets a bonus on top of his salary. Whether he succeeds or not, we are under no obligation to retain him after that and we are then free to begin looking to the longer term.

• Like 2

I personally don't think we should be appointing someone until the end of the season. I think we should be aiming to get someone in to keep us in the league and build for the future at the same time. There are plenty of managers out there who are capable of doing both and I don't see why it has to be choosing a manger to keep us up or choosing a manager for long term.

Guys like Tam Courts & Jack Ross are reasonable candidates.

Tommy Wright, John fucking Hughes and complete randoms like Dwight Yorke are absolutely not what we want or need right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely and if that means pushing the boat out and spending a bit more money to get an experienced manager with a bit of pedigree at this level then we should do it. Relegation will cost us more in the long run so this is last throw of the dice territory now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prideoflanarkshire said:

Ian Holloway

Danny Cowley

Grant McCann

Paul Lambert

I know the above is adventurous but all managers that careers are going backwards that have the experience we need.

Holloway signed Bilel Mohsni and said he would be his Virgil van Dijk.

No ta.

I would love it to be David Healy from Linfield yes I know one of the bigger teams in N Ireland but has European experience ,been managing for about 7 years or so now plus knows the market we are dipping more and more into.Think it be a good fit worth a punt.

Nobody really stands out tbh abit one and the same with everyone that's out of a job right now nothing really between them.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I would love it to be David Healy from Linfield yes I know one of the bigger teams in N Ireland but has European experience ,been managing for about 7 years or so now plus knows the market we are dipping more and more into.Think it be a good fit worth a punt.

Nobody really stands out tbh abit one and the same with everyone that's out of a job right now nothing really between them.

Healy is at the business end of a tricky season at the Blues.  Knocked out of the Irish Cup last weekend, but has a League Cup final on the horizon. They are also sitting 3rd in one of tightest top 5s in Europe right now. 

His opposite number in the LC final though - Oran Kearney - could be a good shout if his time at St Mirren hasn't burnt him. Astute, tactically aware and doesn't suffer fools. in a similar way to Hammy, his time in Paisley was gubbed by the team his predecessor left.

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread