Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

44 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I would love it to be David Healy from Linfield

He really is a ‘Rangers man’ …in every sense of the word by all accounts. I reckon some of the usual suspects in our supports heads would more or less explode if we appointed him. 🤣

He doesn’t appeal to me though and I doubt we could afford to tempt him away from his current club.

Kampman is the only one I can think of that we paid a fee to another club for.

Since then it’s been; 

Billy Davies - at the club as a player

Eric Black - out of work

Terry Butcher - promoted from Assistant

Maurice Malpas - promoted from Assistant

Mark McGhee 1st time - out of work

Jim Gannon - out of work

Craig Brown - out of work

Stuart McCall - out of work

Ian Baraclough - out of work

Mark McGhee 2nd time - out of work

Stephen Robinson - promoted from coaching staff

Graham Alexander - out of work

Steven Hammell - promoted from Academy director

I think it’s safe to say that our next manager will either be out of work or promoted from within.

14 minutes ago, MJC said:

He really is a ‘Rangers man’ …in every sense of the word by all accounts. I reckon some of the usual suspects in our supports heads would more or less explode if we appointed him. 🤣

He doesn’t appeal to me though and I doubt we could afford to tempt him away from his current club.

I think he could be tempted, but maybe only after the end of the season if we employ someone else until June. He's done all he can at Linfield, so if he doesn't win the league this year he has nothing to prove and if he does win it, he can leave as even more of a legend before the teams around them get even stronger. 

Wouldn't be averse to Healy, but wouldn't straight out shut him down. Unless he plans on bringing Lafferty with him. 

He’s certainly not going to come here just now, perhaps if we avoided relegation and he then left his current club but even then I think it would be a big gamble.

Apart from anything else he would be on a hiding to nothing straight away with some of our support due to him being a self confessed Rangers fan and ex Rangers player. He’d have some job winning them over.

Though as I said last night, some of our most successful managers have been ex Rangers players.

44 minutes ago, MJC said:

Kampman is the only one I can think of that we paid a fee to another club for.

Since then it’s been; 

Billy Davies - at the club as a player

Eric Black - out of work

Terry Butcher - promoted from Assistant

Maurice Malpas - promoted from Assistant

Mark McGhee 1st time - out of work

Jim Gannon - out of work

Craig Brown - out of work

Stuart McCall - out of work

Ian Baraclough - out of work

Mark McGhee 2nd time - out of work

Stephen Robinson - promoted from coaching staff

Graham Alexander - out of work

Steven Hammell - promoted from Academy director

I think it’s safe to say that our next manager will either be out of work or promoted from within.

Didn't Wee Tommy not get "poached" from Morton?

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Welcome to 21st Century Scottish Football where new manager discussions still involve the question "Is he a Rangers man?"

Yep agree totally. I don't care what club affiliation a person has. We have just had one of our all time appearance holders in charge and look what happened.  I was a big McCall fan but never once thought of him as ex rangers . Plus when 10 years old I saw us romp the old division one with Davie Hay (ex. Celtic).

I just want the right appointment 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep agree totally. I don't care what club affiliation a person has. We have just had one of our all time appearance holders in charge and look what happened.  I was a big McCall fan but never once thought of him as ex rangers . Plus when 10 years old I saw us romp the old division one with Davie Hay (ex. Celtic).

I just want the right appointment 

My thoughts exactly but sadly we have people in our fanbase who’s dislike of Rangers is greater than their love of Motherwell, or so it appears anyway. We’re not unique in that regard as I think that could apply to just about every club in Scotland and it is I believe a tiny proportion of our support who fall into that category but it exists nonetheless.

The most important thing for us as a club is to get the best man we can possibly attract and who he previously played for or supports is completely irrelevant. I think the majority of Motherwell fans would feel the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:08 PM, Yorkyred said:

I would think both Goodwin and Ross would be in the picture, If either are appointed it would probably be better to see it as a long term project and retain them even if we go down.

Won't go down. Just have some courage on the ball. Raith played us off the park because they had players that were comfortable on the ball. They did not have better players than us just more confidence. Hot potato stuff in midfield. may lose the odd ball but it's still way better than the lump up the pitch. Get it wide and play ffs. 

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

My thoughts exactly but sadly we have people in our fanbase who’s dislike of Rangers is greater than their love of Motherwell, or so it appears anyway. We’re not unique in that regard as I think that could apply to just about every club in Scotland and it is I believe a tiny proportion of our support who fall into that category but it exists nonetheless.

The most important thing for us as a club is to get the best man we can possibly attract and who he previously played for or supports is completely irrelevant. I think the majority of Motherwell fans would feel the same.

I don't think it would take much to win them over. (if it even exists rather than speculation )

Best manager in last 50 years- Mclean.
Best signing in last 50 years - Cooper.

Put in contrast

Well man - Stevie Hammell,  his background was quickly forgotten. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:06 PM, Big Stall said:

Lambert turned out pretty shite in bigger clubs in England however he has enough experience, is a big enough character to boot some baws & can surely handle our league. He isnt exactly inspiring in interviews but i would give him a go before goodwin, yogi etc

All this we need a manager to motivate the players. if players look like they need motivated then hunt them to f'k and put the youth team in. 

Jack Ross has been a rip roaring shite show in his last two jobs where he had far more resources than he'd have a Fir Park.

Jim Goodwin has never had a Top 6 finish in his career.  Again he had way more resources at Aberdeen than he would have with us and the way they totally collapsed towards the end was even worse than Hammell's demise.

Tam Courts did a reasonable job at Dundee Utd.  He improved them over the last manager, both in results and style, and showed a willingness to play youth players.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Welcome to 21st Century Scottish Football where new manager discussions still involve the question "Is he a Rangers man?"

That is a very 21st century response but I think that even in a modern, progressive, enlightened society there is much about Rangers as a football club to be wary of.

I am a good old Church of Scotland boy so the religious and political bigotry is not aimed at me personally but I still find it hugely distateful even in these most tolerant of times.

I know that the very same religious and political bigotry exists with Celtic but from a purely footballing perspective I would identify (another 21st century word) with the footballing philosophy of Celtic more than I ever would Rangers. Let's not forget that in the very recent past Rangers seeked to gain an unfair advantage from a form of financial doping. It is a club that seems to see itself at times as being above the rules in a footballing sense alone.

Rangers men from our recent past may not have shared much of that sentiment but they seem to carry some of the baggage that the press alone will not let them forget. The deference they show as Motherwell managers in games against Rangers and the continual questioning by the press of Rangers matters rather than Motherwell matters are things I would rather do without. 

I had a lot of affection for Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher but there was still that sense throughout that they were Rangers men managing Motherwell. TB's celebrations on helicopter Sunday being an example of something that given a choice, I would rather not see again.

If David Healy is a 'Rangers man' in the true sense of the word then that would be a no for me. Let's not forget that Kyle Lafferty has just served a 10 match ban for displaying some of his Rangers leaning tendencies as a Kilmarnock player. Again if given a choice, I would rather not be associated with that kind of culture in any way as a football fan.

It is exactly that kind of culture that we should try and avoid if possible, particularly in the 21st century.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

This usual suspects chat seems to be becoming increasingly common to represent anybody who does not agree with the views of the poster.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Jack Ross has been a rip roaring shite show in his last two jobs where he had far more resources than he'd have a Fir Park.

Jim Goodwin has never had a Top 6 finish in his career.  Again he had way more resources at Aberdeen than he would have with us and the way they totally collapsed towards the end was even worse than Hammell's demise.

Tam Courts did a reasonable job at Dundee Utd.  He improved them over the last manager, both in results and style, and showed a willingness to play youth players.

Absolutely,  and Courts wasn't sacked by The Arabs but left  for what seemed a better gig but maybe his colloquial Hungarian wasn't too good .  Both Ross and Goodwin seem to have had a catastrophic loss  of dresssing-room confidence in their latest appointments.

Just now i would appoint the Anti-Christ if it would keep us up, I don't care which side of the Old Firm he is  supposedly associated with.

Terry Butcher was the last Motherwell manager to oversee a league victory over Rangers and I never heard him, Stuart McCall or Tommy McLean use anything like the type of language used by Kyle Lafferty recently either when they were with us or before and/or after. 

Obviously when we have ex old firm players at our club the media are going to ask them questions relating to it and it is their choice on whether and how to answer it or not. I don’t remember Tommy McLean constantly gushing over Rangers when he was here, Butcher like to offer his opinion on just about everything as did Mark McGhee and Stuart McCall was quite a humble guy who was very media friendly, but he never ‘sooked up’ to Rangers. What he was guilty though of, and the same could be said of McGhee and Butcher at times, was constantly talking us down whenever discussing games with either of them. Yes his record against Rangers was dismal and that 2012 League Cup game remains one of the worst results in our history in my view, but he didn’t fare much better against Celtic in that same time and the least said about his efforts in Europe the better.

Terry Butcher was the architect of “we’re punching way above our weight” an attitude that has hampered us as a club for over two decades and many other players, managers and supporters have subscribed to that theory in that same time too. It is therefore no coincidence that we have seen our worst run of results in games against the old firm in that same period.

Finally, TB’s celebrations on Skippy Sunday is something you would rather not see again? Perhaps I’ve forgotten or missed something but what exactly did he do? Should a manager not celebrate a win in a match which stops another team winning the league at their own ground? Were the Motherwell fans wild celebrations inside Fir Park that day also something you’d rather not see again? Or what about Celtic fan McDonald’s celebrations?

That kind of attitude is one of insecurity about a perceived link between us and Rangers, which is nonsense especially in the context of Skippy Sunday. It’s also something you would read on a Celtic forum and indeed from the likes of John Hartson, Alan Thompson etc who have been dribbling on about how disrespectful we were to celebrate that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnny71 said:

Got to be Dougie Imrie,knows the fan base well ........

The last young manager we got from Morton did a decent job :)

Both he and Murray are the type of manager we'd go for (if we got relegated).  Bringing in that type of manager just now is too risky.  None of the experienced championship managers are people I'd like at the club and that includes Coyle.

Coyle did well 20 years ago as a manager !! progressively got worse.  No thanks, he pissed me off as a player,(same type of stickability as Watt) no thanks as a manager. 

For me Jack Ross is who I'm most interested in.  Utd fell apart quickly and although sacked from Hibs, he had a win rate of c50%.  Other clubs prior he did well.  I'd have him in asap and not piss about with interview process , just hire him.

• Like 1

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread