Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

One of the things i've liked about Kettlewell (and it was evident from his first interview when in interim charge for the St Mitrren game) was that he seems to have a clear plan and clear systems of preparation in place for each game.

His approcah seems to indicate a high level of organisation.

34 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

One of the things i've liked about Kettlewell (and it was evident from his first interview when in interim charge for the St Mitrren game) was that he seems to have a clear plan and clear systems of preparation in place for each game.

His approcah seems to indicate a high level of organisation.

Organisation and workrate which have both increased. The players we had were performing worse than would have been expected, a good few went backwards. I’m afraid that was all down to management. I think the word at the time was that no manager could get a tune out of this squad and yes it’s been improved but my goodness the whole squad looks new.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I fear with him only on 18 month deal that sellik are going to pinch him on the cheap. Apologies...on holiday.....heat has kicked in!! 🤣🤣. Ps. Imagine the hilarity if Rodgers returned 

The 2nd coming of St Brendan is the current bookies favourite apparently.

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Surely there fans will be up in arms after the way he left them 

They would be daft if they did, he would be an excellent choice as would have been Howe if he’d taken up the position.

Rodgers left to manage in a better league and earn more money,same as postecoglu is now,gerrard jumped at the first chance,the old firm are small fry despite there fans thinking there some global institutions.if rodgers does come back he will come out with how he has unfinished business at celtic and there brainless supporters will soon forget why they were pissed off in the first place.

5 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I fear with him only on 18 month deal that sellik are going to pinch him on the cheap. Apologies...on holiday.....heat has kicked in!! 🤣🤣. Ps. Imagine the hilarity if Rodgers returned 

Nah. He'll be off to Aberdeen once they crash and burn next season.

10 hours ago, mfc said:

Rodgers left to manage in a better league and earn more money,same as postecoglu is now,gerrard jumped at the first chance,the old firm are small fry despite there fans thinking there some global institutions.if rodgers does come back he will come out with how he has unfinished business at celtic and there brainless supporters will soon forget why they were pissed off in the first place.

A little bit of badge kissingand some pish about 'being delighted to be back at the biggest club in the world' and they'll be back singing folk songs about him again.

Managing an EPL club outside of the top four or five is a no win situation (except financially). Every club picks up the best part of £100 Million from TV annualy and the top teams (the ones that win things) are spending many more times that. Living within your means in the EPL will probably result in relegation.

• 1 month later...

Well as things stand it’s a case of “so far, so good” from Stuart Kettlewell’s management of the team. To come in in February and lead us to relative safety from the position we were in when he took over was an excellent achievement so he deserved huge credit for that.

What now though as we enter his first full season? We’ve lost KvV and Johnston, two of the key players in the Kettlewell revival last season and the signings we’ve made so far and the squad options aren’t exactly inspiring. But there is of course still time and the manager deserves his chance to get his first full transfer window under his belt before any judgements are made. 

At the moment he has done well enough but I have concerns heading into the new season.

edit: just noticed the Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread. Feel free to delete or merge this.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MJC said:

But there is of course still time and the manager deserves his chance to get his first full transfer window under his belt before any judgements are made.

I think it's clear that those judgements have been made already, regardless of where we are in the season. The die has been cast, so to speak, as far as some are concerned.

We're Motherwell. We undoubtedly will sign some flops, and we will go through a spell where we look gash. That's all it takes to fuel the fire of certain forum members, so I expect the same chat as we get every season from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I think it's clear that those judgements have been made already, regardless of where we are in the season. The die has been cast, so to speak, as far as some are concerned.

We're Motherwell. We undoubtedly will sign some flops, and we will go through a spell where we look gash. That's all it takes to fuel the fire of certain forum members, so I expect the same chat as we get every season from them.

I’m certainly not making any judgements on him yet I’m just asking the question. 

As I said earlier he has earned his chance to make his own signings and give them the chance to settle in. Early signs are uninspiring but only time will tell how they work for us in the new season. 

20 minutes ago, MJC said:

I’m certainly not making any judgements on him yet I’m just asking the question. 

As I said earlier he has earned his chance to make his own signings and give them the chance to settle in. Early signs are uninspiring but only time will tell how they work for us in the new season. 

Think you've already made your judgement.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MJC said:

Well as things stand it’s a case of “so far, so good” from Stuart Kettlewell’s management of the team. To come in in February and lead us to relative safety from the position we were in when he took over was an excellent achievement so he deserved huge credit for that.

I'm not sure why you are saying 'relative safety' ? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

How long until a Scottish tabloid has him as favourite for the Hibs job ?

Surprisingly, The Scotsman doesn't even have him listed in their options. They do have Robinson in the running.

EDIT: I see The Herald has SK listed, though.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well Kettlewell has done .

He took over a complete shambles of a team both how they played and the obvious lack of team spirit and confidence .

Nobody could have envisaged how he actually turned it round .

Other thing I like about him is his ability to realise and accept when he gets it wrong /sees its not working and changes it and finds another way . The way he’s managed to get rid of some of the players by being honest with them about there playing chances has been impressive . It’s been a total cull and he’s done it in a professional way (Efford maybe not so much )

I think we might have a decent manager on our hands and if given time and PATIENCE from fans and board then given a reasonable amount of time he will defo improve us . 
Probably  needs another couple of windows but I think he has a clear plan of how he wants things to pan out .

Hopefully he’ll get the time to do it as he started with a low bar and I feel he deserves a chance to build his own team and put his stamp on it .

To summarise although he’s not in the door that long I think he GETS the club and has bought into the job quicker than I thought he would .

For me a good fit for our club , a decent bloke by all accounts , firm but fair and most importantly the players seem to have bought into him unlike the previous two incumbants

• Like 1