Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

He came in and really turned it around for us so he deserves the chance to try and get us out the mess that he's got us into.its like we're back to where we were when he took over a total shambles in every department,we have one bright spark in mika but his fitness means we're only seeing a cameo plus he surely won't be involved any when we play on kilmarnocks surface,it's not panic stations yet but definitely a real concern just how bad we are at the minute,also concerning that the pattern of certain players performances and interest levels seem to have reared there head again with yet another manager.

I'd like to say I was surprised that some fans are looking for SK to be sacked after we finally hit our bad spell.

But I'm not, because fans are idiots.

Every - and I mean every - team hits bad spells. This is our first one under SK. Of course he needs to fix it, but looking for blood at this stage is ridiculous.

Nothing to do with being happy clappy. Everything to do with having watched teams in multiple leagues across multiple decades. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Far too early to talk about him going but he needs to get a reaction soon or the fans will turn against him.  I like SK and I don't think things are as bad as the Hammell era but bad results in next 2 away games could be scary

Hammell had literallly van veen as the only forward to play ok and a rank rotten shields . Kettlewell has 6 strikers to choose from .

Hammell had sol and bevis in defence. Kettlewell has blaney/Casey/butcher 

Hammell had sod and mcginn as full backs. Kettlewell has sod/mcginn/and the 3 he has signed as full backs 

I know which squad id rather be working with 

17 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Hammell had literallly van veen as the only forward to play ok and a rank rotten shields . Kettlewell has 6 strikers to choose from .

Hammell had sol and bevis in defence. Kettlewell has blaney/Casey/butcher 

Hammell had sod and mcginn as full backs. Kettlewell has sod/mcginn/and the 3 he has signed as full backs 

I know which squad id rather be working with 

Definitely SK squad.  His only downside is the strikers he has signed apart from Mika

27 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'd like to say I was surprised that some fans are looking for SK to be sacked after we finally hit our bad spell.

Every - and I mean every - team hits bad spells. This is our first one under SK. Of course he needs to fix it, but looking for blood at this stage is ridiculous.

Nothing to do with being happy clappy. Everything to do with having watched teams in multiple leagues across multiple decades. 

No one is calling for his head tonight. However if things don't improve in the next 3 winnable games then he's in deep trouble and rightly so. That would be no wins in 9 games or even worse. 

The jury is still very much out on Kettlewell for me. I know he did well for us in the second half of last season, but I put a lot of that down to Van Veen hitting a mental run of form. I'm not so sure we'd have gotten to where we ended up without that.

As some will already know, I had my doubts about Kettlewell from the off. His record at Ross County when he got the job on his own was honking. The one thing he has in his favour is that he really does sound like someone who knows what they're talking about. His media stint wasn't an accident, he's very articulate and good in front of the camera. 

But all of that means nothing if he's not able to deliver. And thus far, in his first full season, I've not been overly impressed. 

I won't mention his signings, because I know that annoys people, but anyone who honestly thought the guys we signed to play up front would come good were either incredibly naive or just plain stupid. 

I don't think we have the personnel to turn this around to any great measure, and sadly, I think he'll be gone before the end of the season.

• Like 2

All teams go through bad spells and we are no different.  We can't go looking to change manager every time we hit a bad run.   We are 2pts off 4th.

Difference for me is SK recognises the problems whereas Hammell just seemed so out of his depth and Alexander was just a character you couldn't warm to.

SK has made mistakes, who doesn't but for me he deserves the chance to get us back on track.  Having a restless support getting on his and the players backs achieves nothing though admittedly the players deserved criticism for that shambles last night.

Keep the faith. We have been in this position before and turned things around .....COYW

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

Completely with you Weeyin.  

Losing games sucks, we all hate it, particularly when we have a run of bad games. Confidence goes down and all of a sudden our euro hopefuls are all a waste of space. 

SK brought stability and has talked for me complete sense , never sugar coating our issue and open to his own mistakes. 

We need to stop this merry go round of looking to offload managers every year or so. 

2 months ago people were talking about the need to sign him for longer, now there's chatter of not making the grade. 

Need to look long term and beyond a few bad results. 

17 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Definitely SK squad.  His only downside is the strikers he has signed apart from Mika

I'm not sure about that. The squad last season had Goss, Furlong and Johnston who played well most weeks in the second half of the season.

If Kettlewell doesn't survive this bad form he's only got himself to blame. Plays three centre backs but was happy to start the season with just McGinn, Mugabi, Blaney and Casey. Plays a formation that relies on wingbacks to support the forwards then starts O'Donnell every week and a right footed player on the left.  He only added Paton and Davor in the middle of the park who have zero presence. He thinks he can rely on Slattery and Spittal to create despite them having no pace to speak of. Has zero wingers in the squad. Brings in four utterly shite strikers.

We've played 10 league games plus the St Mirren cup game and only scored 2 first half goals. Then we've scored another 2 between 45-75 minutes then 8 from 15 minutes of normal time to go. Those figures alone tell you the manager doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

36 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'm not sure about that. The squad last season had Goss, Furlong and Johnston who played well most weeks in the second half of the season.

If Kettlewell doesn't survive this bad form he's only got himself to blame. Plays three centre backs but was happy to start the season with just McGinn, Mugabi, Blaney and Casey. Plays a formation that relies on wingbacks to support the forwards then starts O'Donnell every week and a right footed player on the left.  He only added Paton and Davor in the middle of the park who have zero presence. He thinks he can rely on Slattery and Spittal to create despite them having no pace to speak of. Has zero wingers in the squad. Brings in four utterly shite strikers.

We've played 10 league games plus the St Mirren cup game and only scored 2 first half goals. Then we've scored another 2 between 45-75 minutes then 8 from 15 minutes of normal time to go. Those figures alone tell you the manager doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Not a fan of SK then,? 🤣🤣.   Fair do's pal, all about opinions which is what it's all about 

Do i want Kettlewell to go 100 percent no but he is on a wobbly nail with me due his utter failure in the transfer market its been horrible seriously not good enough i have seen better forwards apart from Bierath in the Lowland league.We gave Bair a two year contract and Obika a year with a year extension that is utter madness we brought in Zadravkovski to sit on the bench clearly doesnt fancy him.

But i have no faith in the people running  anymore anyway the dinosaurs that have ran the show for years and mess after mess still run the show says it all until we freshen up that side of things then this is what we will get.

The transfer market can make or break a manager and our recruitment in the summer was a shambles,I get the market is limited for us with wages etc but the last thing we needed to do was back ourselves into a corner anymore by signing known crocks and guys that have already struggled in the league we play in,sadly keeping obika on set the tone for what was to come.we also have the same old problem appearing where at the first sign of trouble certain players go into hiding,slattery for example was really good in the early part of the season but when it's not going our way he's more interested in doing the dying swan act a looking for fouls,he's far from the only one,still relying on the likes of mugabi and o'donnell is holding us back.i still think there is some good things that can come from this team,we need to get back to the basics and hard to beat for that to happen though.back to the subject of transfers,I really hope there is some scope for movement in january as we might need one of those windows where we really get it right if we're still struggling by then.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We're on 74 mins as the average time of our goals, the latest in the league. Every other team has scored most of their goals in the second half (apart from St Johnstone, funnily enough), most of them between 50 and 65 mins. We're 7th top scorers, so it's the goals we're conceding that are killing us.

30% of all SPL goals so far have been scored in the last 15 mins. Most folk seem to see that as a positive sign, obviously you don't.

He’s still got grace for the way he overseen the turnaround last season. Although as I said it could well be argued that it was KVV’s goals that kept us up and not SK, albeit on the flip side KvV didn’t his peak form until Kettlewell took over last year. 

But it cannot be disputed that his summer transfer business was deplorable. It was clear to everyone that van Veen was going in the summer and we would need to recruit wisely to compensate for the loss of his goals. And instead we got Shaw, Obika, Wilkinson and Bair. :wallbash: 

And now we’re seeing the fruits of that business and we’re unsurprisingly suffering as a result. That could well cost SK his job. 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Completely with you Weeyin.  

Losing games sucks, we all hate it, particularly when we have a run of bad games. Confidence goes down and all of a sudden our euro hopefuls are all a waste of space. 

SK brought stability and has talked for me complete sense , never sugar coating our issue and open to his own mistakes. 

We need to stop this merry go round of looking to offload managers every year or so. 

2 months ago people were talking about the need to sign him for longer, now there's chatter of not making the grade. 

Need to look long term and beyond a few bad results. 

Well said sir

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

He’s still got grace for the way he overseen the turnaround last season. Although as I said it could well be argued that it was KVV’s goals that kept us up and not SK, albeit on the flip side KvV didn’t his peak form until Kettlewell took over last year. 

But it cannot be disputed that his summer transfer business was deplorable. It was clear to everyone that van Veen was going in the summer and we would need to recruit wisely to compensate for the loss of his goals. And instead we got Shaw, Obika, Wilkinson and Bair. :wallbash: 

And now we’re seeing the fruits of that business and we’re unsurprisingly suffering as a result. That could well cost SK his job. 

We kept quite a few clean sheets and rarely lost more than 1 or 2 in the games after Kettlewell took charge. Van Veen was banging them in, but we only scored more than 2 in 3 games. 

We've just scored 5 in 2 at home and only taken 1 point, whereas under SK last season it would probably have been 6 points. Fixating on our - admittedly - shit strikers is missing the point. Unless folk think we should be winning games 4-3 or 5-4.

43 minutes ago, MJC said:

Not being controversial but before SK took over KVV wasn't playing well.  Was a different player once SK took over but not sure if that was due to SK or to Hammell leaving. Anyway KVV isn't here anymore so we need to work with what we have.

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Not being controversial but before SK took over KVV wasn't playing well.  Was a different player once SK took over but not sure if that was due to SK or to Hammell leaving. Anyway KVV isn't here anymore so we need to work with what we have.

KVV needed someone alongside him. Didn’t have that until Mandron/obika came in on jan

loved KVV as a player but think we got a spoilt child of an attitude when he played up there on his own with wingers. Just didn’t suit his style IMO 

25 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

KVV needed someone alongside him. Didn’t have that until Mandron/obika came in on jan

loved KVV as a player but think we got a spoilt child of an attitude when he played up there on his own with wingers. Just didn’t suit his style IMO 

Yup that style didn't suit him which wasn't his fault. SK came in and instantly gave him a strike partner....ahhhhhh KVV and Mika....how good would that be?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, weeyin said:

Spot on. Calling for his head is ludicrous. What I will say is the summer signings are coming back to bite him. I never give players a hard time, but by god Wilkinson last night was absoluely lost(despite having little support).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Shite, it's feckin irrelevant when you score a goal as long as you score more than the opposition would anyone have complained if we'd beaten RC 4-3 or Aberdeen 5-4, no I think not.