Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You're rght Grizzly. Of course, SK knew his contract had been extended. It was probably part of his original contract and was results based.  However he probably felt, rightly, that it wasn't his job to make a public announcement about it. As you say just poor communication. If nothing else, you'd have thoughtthat someone at the club would monitor SO and P & B to pick up on any avoidable complaints/discussion centred on his contract ending this coming May.

Personally I don't think it's the club's job to monitor forums to seek out discussion about Kettlewell. Some people like him and want him to stay and some people dont. 

Its personally no skin off my nose that this announcement wasn't made sooner. I actually miss the days where I just turned up to watch Motherwell and went home without all this noise going on (social media). I dont think it's up to fans to dictate who stays and who goes - this isn't directed at you btw. I just feel that there was a lot of clamour to get Alexander out, he went - and that we've been on a downward spiral ever since. 

It's also fine if people don't agree with me. 

10 hours ago, wellgirl said:

Personally I don't think it's the club's job to monitor forums to seek out discussion about Kettlewell. Some people like him and want him to stay and some people dont.

I think that whatever Comms staff we do have should keep an eye on social media. Its common practice in most organisations. Now by that I don't mean responding to every comment. Only those which are factually wrong and creating unnecessary discussion or anger for example. It would take what - perhaps 10 minutes a day. If a fan owned club wants to relate to the fans then it should keep its finger on the pulse. Social media is a two way thing. If the Club wants to use social media effectively for output then it should be aware of what the fans are saying, in the form of input. This particular issue has been chewed over for months, taken up hundreds, maybe thousands, of posts, and I'm just surprised that no-one at the club was aware of it.

My second point is that this is a fan owned club and we should be kept informed. Now again, that comes with a caveat. We don't need to know every minute detail of the Club's business. However, the length of the manager's contract is a very basic issue, which we should have known about. I just wonder what would have happened if SK's contract hadn't been raised at the AGM. We would have arrived at late May, having finished anywhere between say 11th and 7th. There would have been discussion about SK's position with nothing being announced. That would have rumbled on into the summer with fans wondering if he was working without a contract. Just not good enough.

Big changes are coming our way, whether you or I like them or not, and fan engagement will be crucial to their success. The fans have to be kept on board.       

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think that whatever Comms staff we do have should keep an eye on social media. Its common practice in most organisations. Now by that I don't mean responding to every comment. Only those which are factually wrong and creating unnecessary discussion or anger for example. It would take what - perhaps 10 minutes a day. If a fan owned club wants to relate to the fans then it should keep its finger on the pulse. Social media is a two way thing. If the Club wants to use social media effectively for output then it should be aware of what the fans are saying, in the form of input. This particular issue has been chewed over for months, taken up hundreds, maybe thousands of posts, and I'm just surprised that no-one at the club was aware of it.

My second point is that this is a fan owned club and we should be kept informed. Now again, that comes with a caveat. We don't need to know every minute detail of the Club's business. However, the length of the manager's contract is a very basic issue, which we should have known about. i just wonder what would have happened if SK's contract hadn't been raised at the AGM. We would have arrived at late May, having finsihed anywhere between say 11th and 7th. There would have been discussion about SK's position with nothing being announced. That would have rumbled on into the summer with fans wondering if he was working wihtout a contract. Just not good enough.

Big changes are coming our way, whether you or I like them or not, and fan engagement will be crucial to their success. The fans have to be kept on board.       

A sensible commentary on why a fan-owned club must communicate properly with its fans. 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think that whatever Comms staff we do have should keep an eye on social media. Its common practice in most organisations. Now by that I don't mean responding to every comment. Only those which are factually wrong and creating unnecessary discussion or anger for example. It would take what - perhaps 10 minutes a day. If a fan owned club wants to relate to the fans then it should keep its finger on the pulse. Social media is a two way thing. If the Club wants to use social media effectively for output then it should be aware of what the fans are saying, in the form of input. This particular issue has been chewed over for months, taken up hundreds, maybe thousands, of posts, and I'm just surprised that no-one at the club was aware of it.

My second point is that this is a fan owned club and we should be kept informed. Now again, that comes with a caveat. We don't need to know every minute detail of the Club's business. However, the length of the manager's contract is a very basic issue, which we should have known about. I just wonder what would have happened if SK's contract hadn't been raised at the AGM. We would have arrived at late May, having finished anywhere between say 11th and 7th. There would have been discussion about SK's position with nothing being announced. That would have rumbled on into the summer with fans wondering if he was working without a contract. Just not good enough.

I'm sure the person running the club twitter account is more than aware about some fans views on Kettlewell given the slagging off he gets every time they post a tweet up. Particularly when the team selection goes up on match day. His after match interviews. Hes been getting slagged off all over twitter for months now - I'd be astonished if the club didn't know some fans views on him. 

I'm a member of the Well Society by the way and have been for years now. I do understand the importance of fans being kept in the loop. 

This obviously should have been communicated but lets not make out that it's some great scandal.

At the end of the day manager contracts don't mean a whole lot, it's not even on par with a player contract when you are dealing with a potential asset or a squad position opening up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This obviously should have been communicated but lets not make out that it's some great scandal.

At the end of the day manager contracts don't mean a whole lot, it's not even on par with a player contract when you are dealing with a potential asset or a squad position opening up.

Yup! . Things would still be exactly the same. Just that we would have known about it earlier. 

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It'll cause a bit of discussion for a few days, some will go meh, some will lose their shit over it then everyone will forget about it and move on to the next "shambles"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Yup! . Things would still be exactly the same. Just that we would have known about it earlier. 

I don't know that they would have been. It's not a die in the ditch issue per se but had we known about this at the time, it would have prevented a lot of time being wasted on posts and hot air being expended unnecessarily. Those aren't huge issues for the club admittedly. 

Let's just hope the club has learnt its lesson.  Time to move on. 

I fail to believe this was just “forgotten” about to mention to fans or kettlewell. No manager in their right mind would not be aware when his contract extends or ends.

it’s clear they missed the boat on announcing it at the time, and were waiting for a string of results to announce it.  AGM just came about before the results

regardless it doesn’t have a good look on us as a club 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know that they would have been. It's not a die in the ditch issue per se but had we known about this at the time, it would have prevented a lot of time being wasted on posts and hot air being expended unnecessarily. Those aren't huge issues for the club admittedly. 

I meant with respect to the organization of the football club not to the feelings of the supporters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Only wasted on posts from the folk who don't like Kettlewell surely?

21 hours ago, wellgirl said:

I personally don't care that much about the Kettlewell contract issue not being made aware to fans. It's more concerning that he didn't seem to know which is how it's being suggested on social media. By the way. That isn't me saying it doesn't matter that fans weren't kept in the loop. But apparently he wasn't aware. If that is true that is grim. 

its called the mushroom grower effect     keep us in the dark,    and    feed us shite  :)

28 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

I fail to believe this was just “forgotten” about to mention to fans or kettlewell. No manager in their right mind would not be aware when his contract extends or ends.

it’s clear they missed the boat on announcing it at the time, and were waiting for a string of results to announce it.  AGM just came about before the results

regardless it doesn’t have a good look on us as a club 

He knew. He said that today when he was interviewed. But it wasn't down to him to announce it in my view 

14 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

I didn’t see that interview to be fair.

To be fair the clubs statement wasn't very well worded so I was wondering but there's an interview with him this morning saying he knew the terms of the contract. It's on Facebook. Possibly twitter as well. They tend to put the longer interviews on the Facebook page 

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Sorry.  To say manager contracts don't mean a lot is probably true in most situations but as I see it not in this case.

Take this scenario , we are relegated and have a manager with a 12 month contract which we will end up paying compensation if we decide to let him go.. Now we really know why Weir said SK would not be sacked ie 5 moths as opposed to 17 months compensation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Villageman said:

Sorry.  To say manager contracts don't mean a lot is probably true in most situations but as I see it not in this case.

Take this scenario , we are relegated and have a manager with a 12 month contract which we will end up paying compensation if we decide to let him go.. Now we really know why Weir said SK would not be sacked ie 5 moths as opposed to 17 months compensation.  

Why would he have to be sacked if we got relegated? Not all clubs who are relegated take that view. 

.  After Alexander getting that disastrous 3 1/2 yr extension a few years back I think we have all be on edge with contracts.  Personally I have no issue with SK having an extra year.  H clearly has a dressing room backing him though admittedly results on pitch need to improve 

3 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Why would he have to be sacked if we got relegated? Not all clubs who are relegated take that view. 

Because if if we are relegated he will have FAILED to achieve what  I am quite sure his mandate would have been. Simples !.

9 minutes ago, Villageman said:

Because if if we are relegated he will have FAILED to achieve what  I am quite sure his mandate would have been. Simples !.

Goodwin wasn't sacked when Utd went down. So personally I don't think it's just simples. But you can disagree. Completely your PEROGATIVE

15 minutes ago, Villageman said:

SK's mandate was also to cut costs by reducing the size of the first team squad.

There are a lot of factors at play here but what SK has achieved with such a small squad is remarkable. There is also no lack of fight within the squad, even when results haven't gone their way they have battled for 90+ minutes for every single point picked up along the way.

How many teams sack their manager after relegation? Do you have those statistics to hand?

• Like 1

Just now, Mad Dog said:

SK's mandate was also to cut costs by reducing the size of the first team squad.

There are a lot of factors at play here but what SK has achieved with such a small squad us remarkable. There is also no lack of fight within the squad, even when results haven't gone their way they have battled for 90+ minutes for every single point picked up along the way.

This. 

29 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

There are a lot of factors at play here but what SK has achieved with such a small squad is remarkable. There is also no lack of fight within the squad, even when results haven't gone their way they have battled for 90+ minutes for every single point picked up along the way.

How many teams sack their manager after relegation? Do you have those statistics to hand?

Some drama queens in our support would have him sacked for that haircut, the entitlement and gatekeeping that goes on with MFC is beyond ridiculous now.

• Like 1