Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

16 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I think Faddy might like to see you in the hot seat. If he gets to throw the switch.

If James McFadden gets anywhere near our managers job then I might be tempted to take him up on that. He would be an absolutely dreadful appointment.

Why would anyone seriously want Faddy as manager or to be part of the management team again? Daft question there because I already know the answer, the same people would be happy enough to have him playing in the first team for us every week even at the age of 40.

Wee newsflash for you…2003 was a long, long time ago and the 20 year old wonderkid is now a middle aged man who churns out cliches and states the bleeding obvious in the media. 

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

Wee newsflash for you…2003 was a long, long time ago and the 20 year old wonderkid is now a middle aged man who churns out cliches and states the bleeding obvious in the media. 

Yer fine. I know what year it is and I've no desire to see McFadden as our manager. Where did you dream that one up?

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yer fine. I know what year it is and I've no desire to see McFadden as our manager. Where did you dream that one up?

It wasn’t aimed at you it was aimed that those in our support who would have McFadden as our manager, player even, for no other reason than because he is who he is. They know who they are. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, MJC said:

It wasn’t aimed at you it was aimed that those in our support who would have McFadden as our manager, player even, for no other reason than because he is who he is. They know who they are. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. I misunderstood the 'for you' bit.

I don't doubt there are some folk who would want McFadden as manager (as proved on here), though I've never actually met anyone who does, and I'd hazard a guess he's even less interested in the job than Craigan. In the real world, we might well be looking at Frail.

We need to get back to basics asap . 

With current crop of fit players I personally believe we need  get back to either a 3-5-2 or old school 4-4-2. 

Defence .  Both Spencer & Gent need to play on their natural side. 

Midfield. If go 4-4-2 we can sit Butcher and Paton/Davor in more defensive and push Slattery/Spittal further up. 

Strikers.   Obika partner with Mika or result back to 1 striker with Spittal just behind to support. 

Simply put S'OD, Wilkinson, Bair, Shaw should never be close to starting. 

Simpler put. When SK came in he succeeded by playing to strengths, players in their position.   Time is running out, I don't expect to win but I do expect to have a clear , simple plan that even us punters understand and can get behind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

With current crop of fit players I personally believe we need  get back to either a 3-5-2 or old school 4-4-2. 

Midfield. If go 4-4-2 we can sit Butcher and Paton/Davor in more defensive and push Slattery/Spittal further up. 

Strikers.   Obika partner with Mika or result back to 1 striker with Spittal just behind to support. 

Simpler put. When SK came in he succeeded by playing to strengths, players in their position.   Time is running out, I don't expect to win but I do expect to have a clear , simple plan that even us punters understand and can get behind.

Very well said mate 

On reflection, I think it now best that club acts to part ways with SK. Yesterday's result was the latest in an increasingly disastrous run ( 2 points from a possible 27); the line up and tactics were bizarre and the performance was poor. Its not a case of one or two players being off form the whole squad's performance has fallen off a cliff for weeks now. That should have set alarm bells ringing. SK has done a great job in jettisoning deadwood but his recruitment has been very poor. 

Overall, his record is not bad but that masks a wild drop off in results from a very impressive early run last season and into the start of this season to a disastrous run of 9 games without a win. Its now about the here and now. He's making the same mistakes over and again with, not surprisingly, the same outcomes. 

We're now 2 points off bottom, and we've failed to beat any of the teams below us and it took late fight backs to secure 2 draws. A damning fact. 

Handsome Devil makes good points over in P & B. Its now all about timing. We have 3 weeks until our next winnable game, the start of several such ones in December.  I think most of us would agree that a game against Celtic at Parkhead is unlikely to change our fortunes for the better and is not one on which to judge a manager.  There's nothing to indicate that he's going to change things for the better and his post match interview yesterday began to set alarm bells ringing. The clock is ticking and we need to use those 3 weeks to our advantage. We simply cannot afford to tread water until December's run of important games to see what will happen. The manager's job and indeed the future of the club is simply too important to passively leave to chance.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I agree with this and I know I’m in the minority here but I’d stick with SK. I think he’s built a decent backroom staff and I’ve seen enough from them since February to be a little more patient with them. I also think continually sacking managers is expensive and embarrassing. I have no idea who would do better in a challenging environment that is the fir park resources.some of the names mentioned here are laughable.

It was only a few weeks ago we were playing well and running rangers and celtic to the wire and we have been hammered by injuries. I think things will turn around….. maybe I’m being naive but I think they will.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mio said:

I agree with this and I know I’m in the minority here but I’d stick with SK. I think he’s built a decent backroom staff and I’ve seen enough from them since February to be a little more patient with them. I also think continually sacking managers is expensive and embarrassing. I have no idea who would do better in a challenging environment that is the fir park resources.some of the names mentioned here are laughable.

It was only a few weeks ago we were playing well and running rangers and celtic to the wire and we have been hammered by injuries. I think things will turn around….. maybe I’m being naive but I think they will.

Im with you @mio .   At the moment I don't think SK can see the woods from the trees.  He needs to take a step back and regain the perspective that he had when fresh into the role.

Managers who stand the test of time can handle the pressure and have clear view. At the moment he's lost in the detail.  We need him to get back to basics and pull his head out his backside.   

Hopefully the international break gives time for reflection and gets back to doing simple things well. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Fair enough. I misunderstood the 'for you' bit.

I don't doubt there are some folk who would want McFadden as manager (as proved on here), though I've never actually met anyone who does, and I'd hazard a guess he's even less interested in the job than Craigan. In the real world, we might well be looking at Frail.

Frail FFS NO, NEVER. Not even in my worst nightmare. But knowing the happy clappy incompetent fuds on the board they will.🤬🤬🤬

Over the last few games,the one thing we can all probably agree on is that we needed to get back to basics,get back into a shape that suits us and make ourselves hard to beat but clearly kettlewell has other ideas as we're getting further away from the basics as the games go by,the starting lineup and game plan yesterday was as baffling as it could have got.kettlewell doesn't have a plan b and the the players he has at his disposal pretty much rule out any positive change in formation,all he seems to do is shift players about into areas that clearly will never suit them,spittal for example yesterday.theres no doubt he done a great job last season but that won't put points on the board this time,I would like to see us change manager now and spend the time between now and the dundee game in finding the right replacement.

51 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

On reflection, I think it now best that club acts to part ways with SK. Yesterday's result was the latest in an increasingly disastrous run ( 2 points from a possible 27); the line up and tactics were bizarre and the performance was poor. Its not a case of one or two players being off form the whole squad's performance has fallen off a cliff for weeks now. That should have set alarm bells ringing. SK has done a great job in jettisoning deadwood but his recruitment has been very poor. 

Overall, his record is not bad but that masks a wild drop off in results from a very impressive early run last season and into the start of this season to a disastrous run of 9 games without a win. Its now about the here and now. He's making the same mistakes over and again with, not surprisingly, the same outcomes. 

We're now 2 points off bottom, and we've failed to beat any of the teams below us and it took late fight backs to secure 2 draws. A damning fact. 

Handsome Devil makes good points over in P & B. Its now all about timing. We have 3 weeks until our next winnable game, the start of several such ones in December.  I think most of us would agree that a game against Celtic at Parkhead is unlikely to change our fortunes for the better and is not one on which to judge a manager.  There's nothing to indicate that he's going to change things for the better and his post match interview yesterday began to set alarm bells ringing. The clock is ticking and we need to use those 3 weeks to our advantage. We simply cannot afford to tread water until December's run of important games to see what will happen. The manager's job and indeed the future of the club is simply too important to passively leave to chance.  

I take onboard all you say however my biggest fear on this is we are copying Dundee Utd route map to the Championship. Dundee Utd sacked manager after manager when the reality was the players were shite and that's us to a tee. We replace Kettlewell at further cost. New man needs funds to improve the shite he inherits. Sadly we don't have the funds for it. It's no surprise we don't have a CEO yet... We basically can't afford one or what we are offering is so horrendously bad that no bugger wants it. The fan ownership model for a club with such a piss poor support will eventually end up in the Championship especially when we've wasted so much money on completely inept managers. 

38 minutes ago, ppower said:

Frail FFS NO, NEVER. Not even in my worst nightmare. But knowing the happy clappy incompetent fuds on the board they will.🤬🤬🤬

Frail with Clarkson and Foster as his assistants, nothing surer. :wallbash:

It was the same this time last year when we were having this discussion about Hammell and who would replace him and just about everyone and their granny knew it would be Kettlewell.

If I see Frail,Clarkson,Foster,Neil Alexander,Faddy,Crags and so on anywhere near the dug out then that’s it for me ffs it’s a no mas no mas moment but then I am so done with the board at this club they have let this happen the mud keeps getting thicker and thicker due to recurring mistakes Time after time that seems to be acceptable to them same faces making same collective decisions.

13 minutes ago, ppower said:

Surprised there not a bandwagon for Moult as manager🤣🤣 Kiss the badge once and your a lifetime in the frame for every job at Motherwell with some fans.😉

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

but then I am so done with the board at this club they have let this happen the mud keeps getting thicker and thicker due to recurring mistakes Time after time that seems to be acceptable to them same faces making same collective decisions.

Fair point, but did you vote for change in the recent Society elections, if you are a member?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Fair point, but did you vote for change in the recent Society elections, if you are a member?

I am not a member as I give the club enough of my money year in year out however but  if I was a member clealry my vote would be next to useless cause everyone seems to be happy with the way the club is run upstairs.

When you have a group of people with the same mindset making the same decisions then you get the same outcomes and from I am looking in seems to be failure after failure but not one has said maybe time for a change.

I say this if we had an actual owner of the club we be calling for he or she's head on a spike at this stage.

People always start moaning about the board when we are losing but you never hear anything about it when we are winning. 

We have a simple business model and not much room for manouvre. By far the most important aspect of the club is player recruitment which is down to the manager. Manager uses budget to sign good players and we are all happy. Manager signs shite players and people start slavering about bowling clubs without any suggestion of how we could change the structure.

For me the manager and head of recruitment both need to go. The players brought in this summer are miles off the required standard. 

• Like 1

It should also be remembered that for all we are moaning things haven't been too bad recently.

May 23 - We missed top 6 but finish playing good football and scoring goals. 

May 22 - Qualified for Europe. 

May 21 - Had the third best record after Alexander took over. 

March 20 - Finished 3rd. 

Our current problems stem from Kettlewell's transfer dealings. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I say this if we had an actual owner of the club we be calling for he or she's head on a spike at this stage.

If we had an actual owner of the club, they'd have delivered the manger's baws on a platter by now. There might also be money to go out and head hunt a boss rather than go down the route we're on. Having said that, we could ask Hibs fans how that approach has worked for them. Or all the other clubs whose genius owners employ/sack a serial failure every 6 months.

32 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

What makes you think that? Not everyone is happy. 

Tbh I dont know much about that side of things but just get the feeling folk are happy to plod along voting in  same people making same decisions.

I am sure the board members have the club at heart but I do think we are running in mud maybe a few fresh faces maybe to bring something to the table.More voices more ideas.

Always thought an outsider appointment of a CEO would be healthy for us but probably never going to happen.

• Like 1